Re:

  • Douglas Stobbs
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 22, 2002
      Reposted with permission of Gordon A. Watts, Co-Chair the Canada

      Census Committee

      Canadian Genealogy Centre symposium

      On Friday 13 September 2002 I received a letter from Ian E. Wilson -
      National Archivist of Canada, inviting me to attend the first symposium
      of the Canadian Genealogy Centre entitled "Canadian Genealogy Online:
      Building an Innovative Model of Co-operation" to be held in Gatineau,
      Quebec, at the Canadian Museum of Civilization on November 1, 2 and 3,
      2002. The letter of invitation stated:

      "The National Archives of Canada, with the National Library of Canada,
      is developing the Canadian Genealogy Centre in order to better serve
      Canadian genealogists. With the assistance of Canadian Heritage and
      other partners from archives, libraries, and genealogical and historical
      societies, this new Centre will also offer genealogical content,
      services, advice, research tools and the opportunity to work online on
      group projects, in both official languages.

      We hope to foster dialogue between genealogists, and current and
      potential partners in order to gain a better understanding of their
      needs and expectations."

      The symposium will consist of a number of plenary sessions and group
      discussions as follows:

      Session 1: Relationships between users and stakeholders providing
      genealogical services.

      1. Which consultation strategies and methods should the CGC adopt?
      2. What are the needs of the users and service providers? What
      genealogical products and services do users and providers wish to have
      access to through the CCG?
      3. What projects should be set as priorities in developing online
      CGC components and what partnership projects would be required to
      achieve them?

      Session 2: Partnerships at the Canadian Genealogy Centre.

      1. What are the challenges (responsibilities, commitments,
      advantages) of participating in the CGC as a partner? What do we mean
      by the term governance? What governance model would be most effective
      for the Centre under the leadership of the National Archives of Canada
      and the National Library of Canada?
      2. What services should the CGC provide and what balance should
      there be between free services and billed services? What role could the
      private sector play in all of the CGC's activities? What ethical issues
      could the CGC raise?
      3. What would the roles and responsibilities of the various
      stakeholders be in implementing the CGC in terms of access to
      information, protection of personal information, and security with
      regard to developing Web tools?

      Session 3: Approaches for the Canadian Genealogy Centre and
      stakeholders with respect to the production and sharing of content.

      1. What projects could partners carry out together? (e.g.
      indexing, research tools and genealogical resource directory.)
      2. What's new in the exchange of genealogical information? (e.g.
      online collaborative tools such as Meeting Place and volunteer
      mobilization efforts.)
      3. What protocols would have to be put in place for quality control
      of the content?

      Some meals are provided, and a closing banquet will be given in
      conjunction with a guided tour of the National Archives of Canada's
      Gatineau Preservation Centre. Cost of transportation and accommodation,
      however, is the responsibility of those attending. I suspect some
      attendees will have assistance from some of the genealogical and
      historical societies they represent. Others who have been invited may
      be unable to attend because of the costs involved.

      Thanks to having collected Air Miles for the past several years I have
      managed to arrange to attend this symposium. I am advised that Ian
      Holmes, President of the Alberta Genealogical Society, George Lake,
      chairman of the Alberta Family History Society, and Rick Roberts of
      Global Genealogy will be attending the symposium. I look forward
      meeting them. I have not heard from any others that might be attending.

      Happy Hunting.

      Gordon A. Watts gordon_watts@...
      Co-Chair, Canada Census Committee
      Port Coquitlam, BC

      http://globalgenealogy.com/Census
      en fran├žais http://globalgenealogy.com/Census/Index_f.htm

      Permission to forward without notice is granted.

      {Douglas Stobbs, 2420 2nd Ave NW #308, Calgary AB Canada, T2N 0H4.

    • George Lake
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 23, 2002
        Hi All:
        The AFHS Board has agreed that I should represent them at this symposium
        Nov 1 - 3. I would appreciate input from any AFHS member on the subjects
        to be discussed, as outlined in the program reproduced below.

        I am happy to accept input from other than AFHS members as well, but would
        note that Ian Holmes, representing Alberta Genealogy Society, Gordon Watts
        representing Canada Census Committee and Rick Roberts representing Global
        Genealogy will also attend.

        Please reply either to Distgen so all can see, or privately to
        chairman@... if you wish to answer me individually. I will be out
        of town Sep 24 to Oct 4 but will remain connected to Distgen and will
        review its contents when I return.

        Thanks for your help.

        Geo

> [...]
        >private sector play in all of the CGC's activities? What ethical issues
        >could the CGC raise?
        >3. What would the roles and responsibilities of the various
        >stakeholders be in implementing the CGC in terms of access to
        >information, protection of personal information, and security with
        >regard to developing Web tools?
        >
        >Session 3: Approaches for the Canadian Genealogy Centre and
        >stakeholders with respect to the production and sharing of content.
        >
        >1. What projects could partners carry out together? (e.g.
        >indexing, research tools and genealogical resource directory.)
        >2. What's new in the exchange of genealogical information? (e.g.
        >online collaborative tools such as Meeting Place and volunteer
        >mobilization efforts.)
        >3. What protocols would have to be put in place for quality control

        George Lake
        Chairman, Alberta Family Histories Society
        Calgary Canada

        email: chairman@...

        FamilyRoots 2002 - Oct 25 - 26/02