Sanderson Family in Calgary

  • Nancy Carson
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 22, 2004
      I don't suppose any of you who go way back in Calgary would know about a Sanderson family? The children were Delmer, Jack, Mary and Marion; their mother's name was Margaret. They were living at 1828/1628 (not sure of the number) - 24 Avenue E. in 1943. Delmer was a pilot in WWII and killed in action overseas in 1943. Marion was in the RCWD and stationed in Vulcan in 1943.

      I know someone who would like to get in touch with the family to talk to them about Delmer - they served together overseas; Delmer was his pilot - so thought I would ask here on the off-chance someone knows, or knows of, this family ... before I start calling all the Sandersons listed in the phone book! I have no idea if any of them remained in Calgary.

      Thank you.

      Nancy Carson
    • E.Rodier
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 22, 2004
        the list Address

        Sandersons who bought a farm near Midnapore are in a couple of pictures and
        are listed in 1974 Calgary city directory. More than one full column of
        Sandersons listed that year but might not be a connection to Delmer.

        http://www.ourfutureourpast.ca/loc_hist/
        has several local history books that mention Sanderson families, didn't find
        Delmer. There are quite a few Sanderson families in the Western Land
        database but not Delmer's name.

        http://198.103.134.2/general/sub.cfm?source=collections/virtualmem
        In memory of Sergeant DELMER RAY SANDERSON who died on January 29, 1943.
        Military Service: Service Number: R/103915 Age: 22 Force: Air Force
        Regiment: Royal Canadian Air Force Unit: 420 Sqdn.
        Additional Information:
        Son of William and Margaret Sanderson, of Calgary, Alberta, Canada.
        Commemorated on Page 210 of the
        Second World War Book of Remembrance. (click for image)

        Burial Information:
        Cemetery:
        EXETER HIGHER CEMETERY
        Devon, United Kingdom
        Grave Reference: Sec. Z.K. Grave 58.
        Information courtesy of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission.

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 23, 2004
          Message
          Nancy

          I do not know this family.

          The addressss of the house was 1626 - 24th Ave E and Mrs. M(Margaret) was listed as a widow in 1948.

          One clue for you: There is a W. J. Sanderson listed at 1626 - 24th Ave SW, as opposed to E, and this is likely a typo error and probably should be E.....

          Therefore, there is a good chance that the initials for Jack Sanderson are W. J.

          AND,

          there is a W. Jack Sanderson in the Calgary phone book living in Lake Bonavista.

          Give him a try

          (403) 278-6104

          Rob

          I don't suppose any of you who go way back in Calgary would know about a Sanderson family? The children were Delmer, Jack, Mary and Marion; their mother's name was Margaret. They were living at 1828/1628 (not sure of the number) - 24 Avenue E. in 1943. Delmer was a pilot in WWII and killed in action overseas in 1943. Marion was in the RCWD and stationed in Vulcan in 1943.

          I know someone who would like to get in touch with the family to talk to them about Delmer - they served together overseas; Delmer was his pilot - so thought I would ask here on the off-chance someone knows, or knows of, this family ... before I start calling all the Sandersons listed in the phone book! I have no idea if any of them remained in Calgary.

          Thank you.

          Nancy Carson

          ---
          Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

          ---

        • owner dist gen
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 23, 2004
            the list Address

            Dear all,

            Please remember that AFHS has a policy not to help find living people.
            Tips on how others could do it can be posted, but other peoples privacy
            should always be considered.

            Dist gen messages are archived at
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dist-gen/ and will be available to the
            world.

            Mary Arthur
            Director (Computer Sig)

          • Jo_an Utson
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 23, 2004
              the list Address

              Nancy: I checked in the 1952 City Directory and found Margt E Sanderson,
              wid Wm, 1616 24 Ave E., and also Wm J, wife Marie, whsemn Motor Car Supply
              at the same address.

              In the address section of the directory, the heading for 24th Ave E has
              Parkview in brackets, and from the businesses etc on the same avenue
              (including Dominion Bridge), I would say it has to be 24th Ave SE.

              Joan.

              >To: dist-gen@..., "'Nancy Carson'" <carsonn@...>
              >Subject: RE: Sanderson Family in Calgary

              Scan and help eliminate destructive viruses from your inbound and outbound
              e-mail and attachments.
              Start enjoying all the benefits of MSN´┐Ż Premium right now and get the
              first two months FREE*.