NOVA SCOTIAN, ETC. PHOTOS

  • Judith Rempel
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 22, 2002
      Quoted from the following website that has a searchable online database:

      http://www.library.dal.ca/archives/waldren/about.htm

      The Dalhousie University Archives has just published online, images
      from a fascinating collection of 35,000 glass plate and film negatives
      from the Waldren Studios of New Glasgow and Antigonish, Nova Scotia.

      they say, "The photography business which generated all of these
      negatives was begun in the early 1870s by A.J. Rice, a photographer from
      Montreal."

      Approximately 90% of these negatives are portraits, nearly all of which
      are identified and dated. A number of the portraits represent some of
      the earliest photos of black Nova Scotians from Pictou, Antigonish and
      Guysborough Counties. Many of the remaining photos are local scenes, a
      few of which were taken in New Glasgow before the fire in 1874 which
      devastated the town. Read more about the history of the Pictou and
      Antigonish counties here. The photos show coal mining, shipbuilding and
      other local industries in action. There are also portraits of family
      groups, sports teams, social clubs and school groups.

      I'm not adding this to the AFHS website links - since it seems a bit far
      afield of the focus of our pages. But -- it may be a gold mine for one
      or two distgen reader nonetheless.

      --
      In Kinship,
      Judith Rempel, Webster

      and

      afhs@...

      Canadian Genealogical Projects Register
      http://www.afhs.ab.ca/registry/

      FamilyRoots 2002
    • Douglas Stobbs
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 22, 2002
        Judith:

        > http://www.library.dal.ca/archives/waldren/about.htm

        > I'm not adding this to the AFHS website links - since it seems a bit far
        > afield of the focus of our pages. But -- it may be a gold mine for one
        > or two distgen reader nonetheless.

        It is far afield but you'd be amazed how many residents of Alberta and even
        AFHS members are reseaching in this 'far away field'.

        I dare say..... many many more than on the sites listed on the AFHS website
        for the Abbotsford Gen. Society, Campbell River Gen. Club or the NWT Gen
        Soc. combined.... and then some!

        In reasonableship, Doug.

        --
        {Douglas Stobbs, 2420 2nd Ave NW #308, Calgary AB Canada, T2N 0H4.

      • E.Rodier
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 22, 2002
          Half of grandsons' family has lived in Pictou for many generations, thanks
          for the link. Pictou county did not have much on the Internet except items
          for sale last time I checked.

          Another branch came to Calgary from Springhill NS in 1909. I have a set of
          Springhill town pictures on a web site and those were displayed at GenSoft
          2000 & 2001 as sample FTM scrapbook pages. Cumberland county mailing list is
          very helpful. BMD & Census index are available on the Internet along with
          some biographies and obits.
          Elizabeth