Re: National Burial Index England and Wales - 2nd edition

  • Alan Cassley
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 17, 2004
      the list Address

      Hi Helen
      Count me in for $10
      Alan C.
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Helen Backhouse" <backhohj@...>
      To: <dist-gen@...>; "Rene Dussome" <rdussome@...>; "Larry
      McCool" <mccoollh@...>
      Sent: Tuesday, August 17, 2004 1:19 PM
      Subject: Re: National Burial Index England and Wales - 2nd edition

      > the list Address
      >
      > To one and all,
      > Yes the AFHS library committee is seriously considering getting the 2nd
      > edition of the National Burial Index for England and Wales. This decision
      > should be made on the 23rd of August.
      > As the price will be in the 102 dollar range, we have to think carefully
      > about a purchase of this magnitude.
      > Helen

    • Alan Muise-Benner
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 17, 2004
        the list Address

        Helen Backhouse wrote:

        > To one and all,
        > Yes the AFHS library committee is seriously considering getting the 2nd
        > edition of the National Burial Index for England and Wales. This decision
        > should be made on the 23rd of August.
        > As the price will be in the 102 dollar range, we have to think carefully
        > about a purchase of this magnitude.
        > Helen

        We seem to be at $100.00 as I reply to this message, and will happily make up
        another $10.00 towards the cause. I had made an enquiry about some locales of
        particular interest to me at this point. I thought you might all be interested
        in the reply I had. Provides a little more information than was on the site when
        I last looked. It follows:

        Greetings;

        Curious to know the extent of coverage for the counties of Gloucestershire,
        Berkshire, and the East Anglia region. Funds are tight at the moment, and with
        the exchange rate we currently work with, I must invest carefully.

        Regards,
        Al

        Dear Al,

        Thank you for your email. For information on the areas, please see below.

        I am listing below, answers to a number of specific frequently asked questions,
        which I hope will be of assistance. The information also advises you how to
        download an order form.

        Your Questions Answered

        Question 1 - How can I obtain further information and obtain an order form?

        Answer - You may download an informatory leaflet, which includes an order form,
        by logging on to our online bookshop at www.familyhistorybooks.co.uk

        then

        - Enter the Bookshop
        - click on National Burial Index under FFHS Publications
        - on the dedicated National Burial Index page, click on 'NBI 2nd edition advance
        offer'
        in the left hand (maroon) panel
        - click on Show this page
        - and click on order form at the foot of the white panel

        and Print.

        Question 2 - I have the first edition of the NBI and would like to take
        advantage of the update. Your reasons for requiring proof of purchase of a
        genuine first edition are very fair, but I have a problem about advance
        purchase. Up to what date are you receiving advance orders? The point of my
        question is that, during the period between returning my Disk 1 of the first
        edition and receiving the second edition, I won't be able to use the first
        edition. How long do I need to practice this abstinence?

        Answer - The offer to trade in the first edition of the NBI will remain open
        for the whole life of the second edition, however long that may be. However, in
        order to take advantage of the special 10% discount, your order with payment
        will need to reach us by 26th August 2004. With regard to your 'period of
        abstinence', there is really no need to trade in your first edition of the NBI
        at this early date. Arrangements are in place to ensure that orders received by
        the 26th August 2004 will be dispatched during the first week of September,
        although we do ask you to allow 28 days for delivery. We feel that submitting
        your order for a trade-in during late July and early August should be quite soon
        enough.

        Question 3 - Does the second edition of the NBI contain any Cornwall or Devon
        records? The first edition was also short on London records. Does it contain
        more of them?

        Answer - Although the extra 8 million records in the second edition contain
        many more counties and parishes, obviously not all burials are included. The
        table below compares the number of records per pre-1832 county on edition 1,
        with those to be included on edition 2.

        County 2nd Edition 1st Edition

        Bedfordshire 356,000 52,000

        Berkshire 351,000 117,000

        Brecon 5,000

        Buckinghamshire 83,000 80,000

        Cambridgeshire 197,000 95,000

        Cardiganshire 108,000 11,000

        Cheshire 399,000 255,000

        Cornwall 112,000

        Cumberland 57,000

        Derbyshire 82,000 35,000

        Dorset 305,000 1,000

        Durham 402,000 159,000

        Essex 500,000 48,000

        Glamorganshire 363,000 249,000

        Gloucestershire 167,000 154,000

        Hampshire < 1,000 < 1,000

        Herefordshire 67,000 42,000

        Hertfordshire 137,000 84,000

        Huntingdonshire 192,000 76,000

        Isle of Man 7,000

        Kent 205,000 16,000

        Lancashire 170,000 29,000

        Leicestershire 329,000 < 1,000

        Lincolnshire 711,000 616,000

        London City 138,000

        Middlesex 11,000 11,000

        Monmouthshire 7,000 < 1,000

        Montgomeryshire < 1,000 < 1,000

        Norfolk 105,000 74,000

        Northamptonshire 198,000 85,000

        Northumberland 180,000 106,000

        Nottinghamshire 281,000

        Oxfordshire 213,000 213,000

        Radnorshire 11,000 5,000

        Rutland 19,000

        Shropshire 168,000 85,000

        Somerset 768,000 2,000

        Staffordshire 799,000 18,000

        Suffolk 803,000 429,000

        Surrey 370,000 120,000

        Sussex 316,000

        Warwickshire 507,000 460,000

        Westmorland 6,000

        Wiltshire 224,000 145,000

        Worcestershire 552,000 483,000

        Yorkshire[City/Ainsty] 34,000 19,000

        Yorkshire East Riding 40,000 28,000

        Yorkshire North Riding 380,000 306,000

        Yorkshire West Riding 1,689,000 708,000

        In due course, a link to an indexed list of parishes per county and the 'time
        span', will be available on the dedicated NBI page on our online bookshop.

        Question 4 - If I order an 'update' copy of the second edition of the NBI and
        return Disk 1 and the booklet from the first edition, how will I know that you
        have received them?

        Answer - Customers ordering an update by post requiring a 'confirmation of
        receipt', should include a stamped, self-addressed envelope and we will reply
        confirming that their returned Disk 1 and booklet, were genuine. First-time
        buyers ordering through the online bookshop, will automatically receive an email
        confirming their order. If customers order for the first time by fax, we will
        acknowledge receipt by return of fax, if requested.

        Best Wishes,

        Terry Walsh,
        FFHS Publications Manager

      • Eddie firth
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 18, 2004
          the list Address

          Count me in for $10.00 and let me know how and when to pay
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 18, 2004
            Please count me in for $10.  I know we may already be over the necessary purchase price, but I also know the library can find a good use for an extra tenner!

            Gordon Williams