Re: National Burial Index England and Wales - 2nd edition

  • Gord Hulbert
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 17, 2004
      the list Address

      Me too!

      Regards,

      Gord Hulbert
      403-240-4636

      Gordon@...

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Roger Leach" <roger.leach@...>
      To: <dist-gen@...>; "Helen Backhouse" <backhohj@...>
      Sent: Tuesday, August 17, 2004 4:04 PM
      Subject: Re: National Burial Index England and Wales - 2nd edition

      > the list Address
      >
      > I am in for $10.00
      > Roger Leach
      >
      > Helen Backhouse wrote:
      >
      > > Please remember that your reply will go to everyone on the list and
      > > the original sender so please stay on topic or ensure you delete
      > > the list Address
      > >
      > > To one and all,
      > > Yes the AFHS library committee is seriously considering getting the 2nd
      > > edition of the National Burial Index for England and Wales. This
      decision
      > > should be made on the 23rd of August.
      > > As the price will be in the 102 dollar range, we have to think carefully
      > > about a purchase of this magnitude.
      > > Helen

    • Alan Cassley
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 17, 2004
        the list Address

        Hi Helen
        Count me in for $10
        Alan C.
        > Yes the AFHS library committee is seriously considering getting the 2nd
        > edition of the National Burial Index for England and Wales. This decision
        > should be made on the 23rd of August.
        > As the price will be in the 102 dollar range, we have to think carefully
        > about a purchase of this magnitude.
        > Helen

      • Alan Muise-Benner
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 17, 2004
          the list Address

          Helen Backhouse wrote:

          > To one and all,
          > Yes the AFHS library committee is seriously considering getting the 2nd
          > edition of the National Burial Index for England and Wales. This decision
          > should be made on the 23rd of August.
          > As the price will be in the 102 dollar range, we have to think carefully
          > about a purchase of this magnitude.
          > Helen

          We seem to be at $100.00 as I reply to this message, and will happily make up
          another $10.00 towards the cause. I had made an enquiry about some locales of
          particular interest to me at this point. I thought you might all be interested
          in the reply I had. Provides a little more information than was on the site when
          I last looked. It follows:

          Greetings;

          Curious to know the extent of coverage for the counties of Gloucestershire,
          Berkshire, and the East Anglia region. Funds are tight at the moment, and with
          the exchange rate we currently work with, I must invest carefully.

          Regards,
          Al

          Dear Al,

          Thank you for your email. For information on the areas, please see below.

          I am listing below, answers to a number of specific frequently asked questions,
          which I hope will be of assistance. The information also advises you how to
          download an order form.

          Your Questions Answered

          Question 1 - How can I obtain further information and obtain an order form?

          Answer - You may download an informatory leaflet, which includes an order form,
          by logging on to our online bookshop at www.familyhistorybooks.co.uk

          then

          - Enter the Bookshop
          - click on National Burial Index under FFHS Publications
          - on the dedicated National Burial Index page, click on 'NBI 2nd edition advance
          offer'
          in the left hand (maroon) panel
          - click on Show this page
          - and click on order form at the foot of the white panel

          and Print.

          Question 2 - I have the first edition of the NBI and would like to take
          advantage of the update. Your reasons for requiring proof of purchase of a
          genuine first edition are very fair, but I have a problem about advance
          purchase. Up to what date are you receiving advance orders? The point of my
          question is that, during the period between returning my Disk 1 of the first
          edition and receiving the second edition, I won't be able to use the first
          edition. How long do I need to practice this abstinence?

          Answer - The offer to trade in the first edition of the NBI will remain open
          for the whole life of the second edition, however long that may be. However, in
          order to take advantage of the special 10% discount, your order with payment
          will need to reach us by 26th August 2004. With regard to your 'period of
          abstinence', there is really no need to trade in your first edition of the NBI
          at this early date. Arrangements are in place to ensure that orders received by
          the 26th August 2004 will be dispatched during the first week of September,
          although we do ask you to allow 28 days for delivery. We feel that submitting
          your order for a trade-in during late July and early August should be quite soon
          enough.

          Question 3 - Does the second edition of the NBI contain any Cornwall or Devon
          records? The first edition was also short on London records. Does it contain
          more of them?

          Answer - Although the extra 8 million records in the second edition contain
          many more counties and parishes, obviously not all burials are included. The
          table below compares the number of records per pre-1832 county on edition 1,
          with those to be included on edition 2.

          County 2nd Edition 1st Edition

          Bedfordshire 356,000 52,000

          Berkshire 351,000 117,000

          Brecon 5,000

          Buckinghamshire 83,000 80,000

          Cambridgeshire 197,000 95,000

          Cardiganshire 108,000 11,000

          Cheshire 399,000 255,000

          Cornwall 112,000

          Cumberland 57,000

          Derbyshire 82,000 35,000

          Dorset 305,000 1,000

          Durham 402,000 159,000

          Essex 500,000 48,000

          Glamorganshire 363,000 249,000

          Gloucestershire 167,000 154,000

          Hampshire < 1,000 < 1,000

          Herefordshire 67,000 42,000

          Hertfordshire 137,000 84,000

          Huntingdonshire 192,000 76,000

          Isle of Man 7,000

          Kent 205,000 16,000

          Lancashire 170,000 29,000

          Leicestershire 329,000 < 1,000

          Lincolnshire 711,000 616,000

          London City 138,000

          Middlesex 11,000 11,000

          Monmouthshire 7,000 < 1,000

          Montgomeryshire < 1,000 < 1,000

          Norfolk 105,000 74,000

          Northamptonshire 198,000 85,000

          Northumberland 180,000 106,000

          Nottinghamshire 281,000

          Oxfordshire 213,000 213,000

          Radnorshire 11,000 5,000

          Rutland 19,000

          Shropshire 168,000 85,000

          Somerset 768,000 2,000

          Staffordshire 799,000 18,000

          Suffolk 803,000 429,000

          Surrey 370,000 120,000

          Sussex 316,000

          Warwickshire 507,000 460,000

          Westmorland 6,000

          Wiltshire 224,000 145,000

          Worcestershire 552,000 483,000

          Yorkshire[City/Ainsty] 34,000 19,000

          Yorkshire East Riding 40,000 28,000

          Yorkshire North Riding 380,000 306,000

          Yorkshire West Riding 1,689,000 708,000

          In due course, a link to an indexed list of parishes per county and the 'time
          span', will be available on the dedicated NBI page on our online bookshop.

          Question 4 - If I order an 'update' copy of the second edition of the NBI and
          return Disk 1 and the booklet from the first edition, how will I know that you
          have received them?

          Answer - Customers ordering an update by post requiring a 'confirmation of
          receipt', should include a stamped, self-addressed envelope and we will reply
          confirming that their returned Disk 1 and booklet, were genuine. First-time
          buyers ordering through the online bookshop, will automatically receive an email
          confirming their order. If customers order for the first time by fax, we will
          acknowledge receipt by return of fax, if requested.

          Best Wishes,

          Terry Walsh,
          FFHS Publications Manager

        • Eddie firth
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 18, 2004
            the list Address

            Count me in for $10.00 and let me know how and when to pay
            > Good suggestion-- It wont take too many $10's
            > Count me in Helen-I will be needing some English deaths soon.
            > Donna Coulter

          • Gordon Williams
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 18, 2004
              Please count me in for $10.  I know we may already be over the necessary purchase price, but I also know the library can find a good use for an extra tenner!

              Gordon Williams