Re: National Burial Index England and Wales - 2nd edition

  • Gary Manthorne
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 17, 2004
      the list Address

      Yes , I would be willing to donate the $ 10.00
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 17, 2004
        the list Address

        Me too!

        Regards,

        Gord Hulbert
        403-240-4636

        Gordon@...

        > > Please remember that your reply will go to everyone on the list and
        > > the original sender so please stay on topic or ensure you delete
        > > the list Address
        > >
        > > To one and all,
        > > Yes the AFHS library committee is seriously considering getting the 2nd
        > > edition of the National Burial Index for England and Wales. This
        decision
        > > should be made on the 23rd of August.
        > > As the price will be in the 102 dollar range, we have to think carefully
        > > about a purchase of this magnitude.
        > > Helen

      • Marilyn
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 17, 2004
          the list Address

          Hi Helen,
          I too would be most interested in donating $10 to the cause to help purchase
          the NBI.
          Just let me know when you'd like the money.

          Marilyn Taylor

          > Sorry Larry, I have no idea whether or not the AFHS or LDS are planning on
          > getting a copy of the 2nd edition.
          >
          > I do know that the Calgary Stake FHC has a copy of the 1st edition.
          >
          > Rene

        • Alan Cassley
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 17, 2004
            the list Address

            Hi Helen
            Count me in for $10
            Alan C.
            > Yes the AFHS library committee is seriously considering getting the 2nd
            > edition of the National Burial Index for England and Wales. This decision
            > should be made on the 23rd of August.
            > As the price will be in the 102 dollar range, we have to think carefully
            > about a purchase of this magnitude.
            > Helen

          • Alan Muise-Benner
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 17, 2004
              the list Address

              Helen Backhouse wrote:

              > To one and all,
              > Yes the AFHS library committee is seriously considering getting the 2nd
              > edition of the National Burial Index for England and Wales. This decision
              > should be made on the 23rd of August.
              > As the price will be in the 102 dollar range, we have to think carefully
              > about a purchase of this magnitude.
              > Helen

              We seem to be at $100.00 as I reply to this message, and will happily make up
              another $10.00 towards the cause. I had made an enquiry about some locales of
              particular interest to me at this point. I thought you might all be interested
              in the reply I had. Provides a little more information than was on the site when
              I last looked. It follows:

              Greetings;

              Curious to know the extent of coverage for the counties of Gloucestershire,
              Berkshire, and the East Anglia region. Funds are tight at the moment, and with
              the exchange rate we currently work with, I must invest carefully.

              Regards,
              Al

              Dear Al,

              Thank you for your email. For information on the areas, please see below.

              I am listing below, answers to a number of specific frequently asked questions,
              which I hope will be of assistance. The information also advises you how to
              download an order form.

              Your Questions Answered

              Question 1 - How can I obtain further information and obtain an order form?

              Answer - You may download an informatory leaflet, which includes an order form,
              by logging on to our online bookshop at www.familyhistorybooks.co.uk

              then

              - Enter the Bookshop
              - click on National Burial Index under FFHS Publications
              - on the dedicated National Burial Index page, click on 'NBI 2nd edition advance
              offer'
              in the left hand (maroon) panel
              - click on Show this page
              - and click on order form at the foot of the white panel

              and Print.

              Question 2 - I have the first edition of the NBI and would like to take
              advantage of the update. Your reasons for requiring proof of purchase of a
              genuine first edition are very fair, but I have a problem about advance
              purchase. Up to what date are you receiving advance orders? The point of my
              question is that, during the period between returning my Disk 1 of the first
              edition and receiving the second edition, I won't be able to use the first
              edition. How long do I need to practice this abstinence?

              Answer - The offer to trade in the first edition of the NBI will remain open
              for the whole life of the second edition, however long that may be. However, in
              order to take advantage of the special 10% discount, your order with payment
              will need to reach us by 26th August 2004. With regard to your 'period of
              abstinence', there is really no need to trade in your first edition of the NBI
              at this early date. Arrangements are in place to ensure that orders received by
              the 26th August 2004 will be dispatched during the first week of September,
              although we do ask you to allow 28 days for delivery. We feel that submitting
              your order for a trade-in during late July and early August should be quite soon
              enough.

              Question 3 - Does the second edition of the NBI contain any Cornwall or Devon
              records? The first edition was also short on London records. Does it contain
              more of them?

              Answer - Although the extra 8 million records in the second edition contain
              many more counties and parishes, obviously not all burials are included. The
              table below compares the number of records per pre-1832 county on edition 1,
              with those to be included on edition 2.

              County 2nd Edition 1st Edition

              Bedfordshire 356,000 52,000

              Berkshire 351,000 117,000

              Brecon 5,000

              Buckinghamshire 83,000 80,000

              Cambridgeshire 197,000 95,000

              Cardiganshire 108,000 11,000

              Cheshire 399,000 255,000

              Cornwall 112,000

              Cumberland 57,000

              Derbyshire 82,000 35,000

              Dorset 305,000 1,000

              Durham 402,000 159,000

              Essex 500,000 48,000

              Glamorganshire 363,000 249,000

              Gloucestershire 167,000 154,000

              Hampshire < 1,000 < 1,000

              Herefordshire 67,000 42,000

              Hertfordshire 137,000 84,000

              Huntingdonshire 192,000 76,000

              Isle of Man 7,000

              Kent 205,000 16,000

              Lancashire 170,000 29,000

              Leicestershire 329,000 < 1,000

              Lincolnshire 711,000 616,000

              London City 138,000

              Middlesex 11,000 11,000

              Monmouthshire 7,000 < 1,000

              Montgomeryshire < 1,000 < 1,000

              Norfolk 105,000 74,000

              Northamptonshire 198,000 85,000

              Northumberland 180,000 106,000

              Nottinghamshire 281,000

              Oxfordshire 213,000 213,000

              Radnorshire 11,000 5,000

              Rutland 19,000

              Shropshire 168,000 85,000

              Somerset 768,000 2,000

              Staffordshire 799,000 18,000

              Suffolk 803,000 429,000

              Surrey 370,000 120,000

              Sussex 316,000

              Warwickshire 507,000 460,000

              Westmorland 6,000

              Wiltshire 224,000 145,000

              Worcestershire 552,000 483,000

              Yorkshire[City/Ainsty] 34,000 19,000

              Yorkshire East Riding 40,000 28,000

              Yorkshire North Riding 380,000 306,000

              Yorkshire West Riding 1,689,000 708,000

              In due course, a link to an indexed list of parishes per county and the 'time
              span', will be available on the dedicated NBI page on our online bookshop.

              Question 4 - If I order an 'update' copy of the second edition of the NBI and
              return Disk 1 and the booklet from the first edition, how will I know that you
              have received them?

              Answer - Customers ordering an update by post requiring a 'confirmation of
              receipt', should include a stamped, self-addressed envelope and we will reply
              confirming that their returned Disk 1 and booklet, were genuine. First-time
              buyers ordering through the online bookshop, will automatically receive an email
              confirming their order. If customers order for the first time by fax, we will
              acknowledge receipt by return of fax, if requested.

              Best Wishes,

              Terry Walsh,
              FFHS Publications Manager

            • Eddie firth
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 18, 2004
                the list Address

                Count me in for $10.00 and let me know how and when to pay
                > Good suggestion-- It wont take too many $10's
                > Count me in Helen-I will be needing some English deaths soon.
                > Donna Coulter

              • Gordon Williams
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 18, 2004
                  Please count me in for $10.  I know we may already be over the necessary purchase price, but I also know the library can find a good use for an extra tenner!

                  Gordon Williams