Re: National Burial Index England and Wales - 2nd edition

  • Pete Brewster
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 17, 2004
      Please remember that your reply will go to everyone on the list and the original sender so please stay on topic or ensure you delete the list Address I'd be happy to kick in $10 toward the purchase.

      Pete Brewster

      Xenia Stanford wrote:
       the list Address

      Hi Helen and AFHS members,

      Why don't a group of us interested in using the National Burial Index
      England and Wales - 2nd edition each donate about $10 to the library fund
      for this purchase. I'm sure there are at least 11 of us searching for
      ancestors in England. I finally found my Robert William Stanford and Lydia
      Wallace marriage in England and would be willing to pay $10 to see if I can
      find the death/burial of either. This is without knowing whether London's
      East end would be on the CD or not. $10 for a peek is not too much to pay.

      à bientôt,

      http://www.knowmap.com/age/
      Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564
      Call to find out the next free sessions of "Scrapbooking Made Easy"
      Or for the popular tile coaster making workshop!

      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 17, 2004
        the list Address

        Yes , I would be willing to donate the $ 10.00
        > Why don't a group of us interested in using the National Burial Index
        > England and Wales - 2nd edition each donate about $10 to the library fund
        > for this purchase. I'm sure there are at least 11 of us searching for
        > ancestors in England. I finally found my Robert William Stanford and Lydia
        > Wallace marriage in England and would be willing to pay $10 to see if I
        can
        > find the death/burial of either. This is without knowing whether London's
        > East end would be on the CD or not. $10 for a peek is not too much to pay.
        >

        > à bientôt,
        >
        > Xenia Stanford (president@...)
        > Column: "Nos Racines Francaise" http://globalgenealogy.com/globalgazette
        > Local genealogy book sales, professional research & writing:
        > http://www.knowmap.com/age/
        > Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564
        > Call to find out the next free sessions of "Scrapbooking Made Easy"
        > Or for the popular tile coaster making workshop!

      • Gord Hulbert
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 17, 2004
          the list Address

          Me too!

          Regards,

          Gord Hulbert
          403-240-4636

          Gordon@...

          > > Please remember that your reply will go to everyone on the list and
          > > the original sender so please stay on topic or ensure you delete
          > > the list Address
          > >
          > > To one and all,
          > > Yes the AFHS library committee is seriously considering getting the 2nd
          > > edition of the National Burial Index for England and Wales. This
          decision
          > > should be made on the 23rd of August.
          > > As the price will be in the 102 dollar range, we have to think carefully
          > > about a purchase of this magnitude.
          > > Helen

        • Marilyn
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 17, 2004
            the list Address

            Hi Helen,
            I too would be most interested in donating $10 to the cause to help purchase
            the NBI.
            Just let me know when you'd like the money.

            Marilyn Taylor

            > Sorry Larry, I have no idea whether or not the AFHS or LDS are planning on
            > getting a copy of the 2nd edition.
            >
            > I do know that the Calgary Stake FHC has a copy of the 1st edition.
            >
            > Rene

          • Alan Cassley
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 17, 2004
              the list Address

              Hi Helen
              Count me in for $10
              Alan C.
              > Yes the AFHS library committee is seriously considering getting the 2nd
              > edition of the National Burial Index for England and Wales. This decision
              > should be made on the 23rd of August.
              > As the price will be in the 102 dollar range, we have to think carefully
              > about a purchase of this magnitude.
              > Helen

            • Alan Muise-Benner
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 17, 2004
                the list Address

                Helen Backhouse wrote:

                > To one and all,
                > Yes the AFHS library committee is seriously considering getting the 2nd
                > edition of the National Burial Index for England and Wales. This decision
                > should be made on the 23rd of August.
                > As the price will be in the 102 dollar range, we have to think carefully
                > about a purchase of this magnitude.
                > Helen

                We seem to be at $100.00 as I reply to this message, and will happily make up
                another $10.00 towards the cause. I had made an enquiry about some locales of
                particular interest to me at this point. I thought you might all be interested
                in the reply I had. Provides a little more information than was on the site when
                I last looked. It follows:

                Greetings;

                Curious to know the extent of coverage for the counties of Gloucestershire,
                Berkshire, and the East Anglia region. Funds are tight at the moment, and with
                the exchange rate we currently work with, I must invest carefully.

                Regards,
                Al

                Dear Al,

                Thank you for your email. For information on the areas, please see below.

                I am listing below, answers to a number of specific frequently asked questions,
                which I hope will be of assistance. The information also advises you how to
                download an order form.

                Your Questions Answered

                Question 1 - How can I obtain further information and obtain an order form?

                Answer - You may download an informatory leaflet, which includes an order form,
                by logging on to our online bookshop at www.familyhistorybooks.co.uk

                then

                - Enter the Bookshop
                - click on National Burial Index under FFHS Publications
                - on the dedicated National Burial Index page, click on 'NBI 2nd edition advance
                offer'
                in the left hand (maroon) panel
                - click on Show this page
                - and click on order form at the foot of the white panel

                and Print.

                Question 2 - I have the first edition of the NBI and would like to take
                advantage of the update. Your reasons for requiring proof of purchase of a
                genuine first edition are very fair, but I have a problem about advance
                purchase. Up to what date are you receiving advance orders? The point of my
                question is that, during the period between returning my Disk 1 of the first
                edition and receiving the second edition, I won't be able to use the first
                edition. How long do I need to practice this abstinence?

                Answer - The offer to trade in the first edition of the NBI will remain open
                for the whole life of the second edition, however long that may be. However, in
                order to take advantage of the special 10% discount, your order with payment
                will need to reach us by 26th August 2004. With regard to your 'period of
                abstinence', there is really no need to trade in your first edition of the NBI
                at this early date. Arrangements are in place to ensure that orders received by
                the 26th August 2004 will be dispatched during the first week of September,
                although we do ask you to allow 28 days for delivery. We feel that submitting
                your order for a trade-in during late July and early August should be quite soon
                enough.

                Question 3 - Does the second edition of the NBI contain any Cornwall or Devon
                records? The first edition was also short on London records. Does it contain
                more of them?

                Answer - Although the extra 8 million records in the second edition contain
                many more counties and parishes, obviously not all burials are included. The
                table below compares the number of records per pre-1832 county on edition 1,
                with those to be included on edition 2.

                County 2nd Edition 1st Edition

                Bedfordshire 356,000 52,000

                Berkshire 351,000 117,000

                Brecon 5,000

                Buckinghamshire 83,000 80,000

                Cambridgeshire 197,000 95,000

                Cardiganshire 108,000 11,000

                Cheshire 399,000 255,000

                Cornwall 112,000

                Cumberland 57,000

                Derbyshire 82,000 35,000

                Dorset 305,000 1,000

                Durham 402,000 159,000

                Essex 500,000 48,000

                Glamorganshire 363,000 249,000

                Gloucestershire 167,000 154,000

                Hampshire < 1,000 < 1,000

                Herefordshire 67,000 42,000

                Hertfordshire 137,000 84,000

                Huntingdonshire 192,000 76,000

                Isle of Man 7,000

                Kent 205,000 16,000

                Lancashire 170,000 29,000

                Leicestershire 329,000 < 1,000

                Lincolnshire 711,000 616,000

                London City 138,000

                Middlesex 11,000 11,000

                Monmouthshire 7,000 < 1,000

                Montgomeryshire < 1,000 < 1,000

                Norfolk 105,000 74,000

                Northamptonshire 198,000 85,000

                Northumberland 180,000 106,000

                Nottinghamshire 281,000

                Oxfordshire 213,000 213,000

                Radnorshire 11,000 5,000

                Rutland 19,000

                Shropshire 168,000 85,000

                Somerset 768,000 2,000

                Staffordshire 799,000 18,000

                Suffolk 803,000 429,000

                Surrey 370,000 120,000

                Sussex 316,000

                Warwickshire 507,000 460,000

                Westmorland 6,000

                Wiltshire 224,000 145,000

                Worcestershire 552,000 483,000

                Yorkshire[City/Ainsty] 34,000 19,000

                Yorkshire East Riding 40,000 28,000

                Yorkshire North Riding 380,000 306,000

                Yorkshire West Riding 1,689,000 708,000

                In due course, a link to an indexed list of parishes per county and the 'time
                span', will be available on the dedicated NBI page on our online bookshop.

                Question 4 - If I order an 'update' copy of the second edition of the NBI and
                return Disk 1 and the booklet from the first edition, how will I know that you
                have received them?

                Answer - Customers ordering an update by post requiring a 'confirmation of
                receipt', should include a stamped, self-addressed envelope and we will reply
                confirming that their returned Disk 1 and booklet, were genuine. First-time
                buyers ordering through the online bookshop, will automatically receive an email
                confirming their order. If customers order for the first time by fax, we will
                acknowledge receipt by return of fax, if requested.

                Best Wishes,

                Terry Walsh,
                FFHS Publications Manager

              • Eddie firth
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 18, 2004
                  the list Address

                  Count me in for $10.00 and let me know how and when to pay
                  > Good suggestion-- It wont take too many $10's
                  > Count me in Helen-I will be needing some English deaths soon.
                  > Donna Coulter

                • Gordon Williams
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 18, 2004
                    Please count me in for $10.  I know we may already be over the necessary purchase price, but I also know the library can find a good use for an extra tenner!

                    Gordon Williams