Re: National Burial Index England and Wales - 2nd edition

  • Roger Leach
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 17, 2004
      the list Address

      I am in for $10.00
      Roger Leach

      Helen Backhouse wrote:

      > the list Address
      >
      > To one and all,
      > Yes the AFHS library committee is seriously considering getting the 2nd
      > edition of the National Burial Index for England and Wales. This decision
      > should be made on the 23rd of August.
      > As the price will be in the 102 dollar range, we have to think carefully
      > about a purchase of this magnitude.
      > Helen

    • Donna Coulter
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 17, 2004
        the list Address

        Good suggestion-- It wont take too many $10's
        Count me in Helen-I will be needing some English deaths soon.
        Donna Coulter

        > Yes the AFHS library committee is seriously considering getting the 2nd
        > edition of the National Burial Index for England and Wales. This decision
        > should be made on the 23rd of August.
        > As the price will be in the 102 dollar range, we have to think carefully
        > about a purchase of this magnitude.
        > Helen

        ---

      • Pete Brewster
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 17, 2004
          Please remember that your reply will go to everyone on the list and the original sender so please stay on topic or ensure you delete the list Address I'd be happy to kick in $10 toward the purchase.

          Pete Brewster

          Xenia Stanford wrote:
           the list Address

          Hi Helen and AFHS members,

          Why don't a group of us interested in using the National Burial Index
          England and Wales - 2nd edition each donate about $10 to the library fund
          for this purchase. I'm sure there are at least 11 of us searching for
          ancestors in England. I finally found my Robert William Stanford and Lydia
          Wallace marriage in England and would be willing to pay $10 to see if I can
          find the death/burial of either. This is without knowing whether London's
          East end would be on the CD or not. $10 for a peek is not too much to pay.

          à bientôt,

          http://www.knowmap.com/age/
          Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564
          Call to find out the next free sessions of "Scrapbooking Made Easy"
          Or for the popular tile coaster making workshop!

          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 17, 2004
            the list Address

            Yes , I would be willing to donate the $ 10.00
            > Why don't a group of us interested in using the National Burial Index
            > England and Wales - 2nd edition each donate about $10 to the library fund
            > for this purchase. I'm sure there are at least 11 of us searching for
            > ancestors in England. I finally found my Robert William Stanford and Lydia
            > Wallace marriage in England and would be willing to pay $10 to see if I
            can
            > find the death/burial of either. This is without knowing whether London's
            > East end would be on the CD or not. $10 for a peek is not too much to pay.
            >

            > à bientôt,
            >
            > Xenia Stanford (president@...)
            > Column: "Nos Racines Francaise" http://globalgenealogy.com/globalgazette
            > Local genealogy book sales, professional research & writing:
            > http://www.knowmap.com/age/
            > Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564
            > Call to find out the next free sessions of "Scrapbooking Made Easy"
            > Or for the popular tile coaster making workshop!

          • Gord Hulbert
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 17, 2004
              the list Address

              Me too!

              Regards,

              Gord Hulbert
              403-240-4636

              Gordon@...

              > > Please remember that your reply will go to everyone on the list and
              > > the original sender so please stay on topic or ensure you delete
              > > the list Address
              > >
              > > To one and all,
              > > Yes the AFHS library committee is seriously considering getting the 2nd
              > > edition of the National Burial Index for England and Wales. This
              decision
              > > should be made on the 23rd of August.
              > > As the price will be in the 102 dollar range, we have to think carefully
              > > about a purchase of this magnitude.
              > > Helen

            • Marilyn
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 17, 2004
                the list Address

                Hi Helen,
                I too would be most interested in donating $10 to the cause to help purchase
                the NBI.
                Just let me know when you'd like the money.

                Marilyn Taylor

                > Sorry Larry, I have no idea whether or not the AFHS or LDS are planning on
                > getting a copy of the 2nd edition.
                >
                > I do know that the Calgary Stake FHC has a copy of the 1st edition.
                >
                > Rene

              • Alan Cassley
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 17, 2004
                  the list Address

                  Hi Helen
                  Count me in for $10
                  Alan C.
                  > Yes the AFHS library committee is seriously considering getting the 2nd
                  > edition of the National Burial Index for England and Wales. This decision
                  > should be made on the 23rd of August.
                  > As the price will be in the 102 dollar range, we have to think carefully
                  > about a purchase of this magnitude.
                  > Helen

                • Alan Muise-Benner
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 17, 2004
                    the list Address

                    Helen Backhouse wrote:

                    > To one and all,
                    > Yes the AFHS library committee is seriously considering getting the 2nd
                    > edition of the National Burial Index for England and Wales. This decision
                    > should be made on the 23rd of August.
                    > As the price will be in the 102 dollar range, we have to think carefully
                    > about a purchase of this magnitude.
                    > Helen

                    We seem to be at $100.00 as I reply to this message, and will happily make up
                    another $10.00 towards the cause. I had made an enquiry about some locales of
                    particular interest to me at this point. I thought you might all be interested
                    in the reply I had. Provides a little more information than was on the site when
                    I last looked. It follows:

                    Greetings;

                    Curious to know the extent of coverage for the counties of Gloucestershire,
                    Berkshire, and the East Anglia region. Funds are tight at the moment, and with
                    the exchange rate we currently work with, I must invest carefully.

                    Regards,
                    Al

                    Dear Al,

                    Thank you for your email. For information on the areas, please see below.

                    I am listing below, answers to a number of specific frequently asked questions,
                    which I hope will be of assistance. The information also advises you how to
                    download an order form.

                    Your Questions Answered

                    Question 1 - How can I obtain further information and obtain an order form?

                    Answer - You may download an informatory leaflet, which includes an order form,
                    by logging on to our online bookshop at www.familyhistorybooks.co.uk

                    then

                    - Enter the Bookshop
                    - click on National Burial Index under FFHS Publications
                    - on the dedicated National Burial Index page, click on 'NBI 2nd edition advance
                    offer'
                    in the left hand (maroon) panel
                    - click on Show this page
                    - and click on order form at the foot of the white panel

                    and Print.

                    Question 2 - I have the first edition of the NBI and would like to take
                    advantage of the update. Your reasons for requiring proof of purchase of a
                    genuine first edition are very fair, but I have a problem about advance
                    purchase. Up to what date are you receiving advance orders? The point of my
                    question is that, during the period between returning my Disk 1 of the first
                    edition and receiving the second edition, I won't be able to use the first
                    edition. How long do I need to practice this abstinence?

                    Answer - The offer to trade in the first edition of the NBI will remain open
                    for the whole life of the second edition, however long that may be. However, in
                    order to take advantage of the special 10% discount, your order with payment
                    will need to reach us by 26th August 2004. With regard to your 'period of
                    abstinence', there is really no need to trade in your first edition of the NBI
                    at this early date. Arrangements are in place to ensure that orders received by
                    the 26th August 2004 will be dispatched during the first week of September,
                    although we do ask you to allow 28 days for delivery. We feel that submitting
                    your order for a trade-in during late July and early August should be quite soon
                    enough.

                    Question 3 - Does the second edition of the NBI contain any Cornwall or Devon
                    records? The first edition was also short on London records. Does it contain
                    more of them?

                    Answer - Although the extra 8 million records in the second edition contain
                    many more counties and parishes, obviously not all burials are included. The
                    table below compares the number of records per pre-1832 county on edition 1,
                    with those to be included on edition 2.

                    County 2nd Edition 1st Edition

                    Bedfordshire 356,000 52,000

                    Berkshire 351,000 117,000

                    Brecon 5,000

                    Buckinghamshire 83,000 80,000

                    Cambridgeshire 197,000 95,000

                    Cardiganshire 108,000 11,000

                    Cheshire 399,000 255,000

                    Cornwall 112,000

                    Cumberland 57,000

                    Derbyshire 82,000 35,000

                    Dorset 305,000 1,000

                    Durham 402,000 159,000

                    Essex 500,000 48,000

                    Glamorganshire 363,000 249,000

                    Gloucestershire 167,000 154,000

                    Hampshire < 1,000 < 1,000

                    Herefordshire 67,000 42,000

                    Hertfordshire 137,000 84,000

                    Huntingdonshire 192,000 76,000

                    Isle of Man 7,000

                    Kent 205,000 16,000

                    Lancashire 170,000 29,000

                    Leicestershire 329,000 < 1,000

                    Lincolnshire 711,000 616,000

                    London City 138,000

                    Middlesex 11,000 11,000

                    Monmouthshire 7,000 < 1,000

                    Montgomeryshire < 1,000 < 1,000

                    Norfolk 105,000 74,000

                    Northamptonshire 198,000 85,000

                    Northumberland 180,000 106,000

                    Nottinghamshire 281,000

                    Oxfordshire 213,000 213,000

                    Radnorshire 11,000 5,000

                    Rutland 19,000

                    Shropshire 168,000 85,000

                    Somerset 768,000 2,000

                    Staffordshire 799,000 18,000

                    Suffolk 803,000 429,000

                    Surrey 370,000 120,000

                    Sussex 316,000

                    Warwickshire 507,000 460,000

                    Westmorland 6,000

                    Wiltshire 224,000 145,000

                    Worcestershire 552,000 483,000

                    Yorkshire[City/Ainsty] 34,000 19,000

                    Yorkshire East Riding 40,000 28,000

                    Yorkshire North Riding 380,000 306,000

                    Yorkshire West Riding 1,689,000 708,000

                    In due course, a link to an indexed list of parishes per county and the 'time
                    span', will be available on the dedicated NBI page on our online bookshop.

                    Question 4 - If I order an 'update' copy of the second edition of the NBI and
                    return Disk 1 and the booklet from the first edition, how will I know that you
                    have received them?

                    Answer - Customers ordering an update by post requiring a 'confirmation of
                    receipt', should include a stamped, self-addressed envelope and we will reply
                    confirming that their returned Disk 1 and booklet, were genuine. First-time
                    buyers ordering through the online bookshop, will automatically receive an email
                    confirming their order. If customers order for the first time by fax, we will
                    acknowledge receipt by return of fax, if requested.

                    Best Wishes,

                    Terry Walsh,
                    FFHS Publications Manager

                  • Eddie firth
                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 18, 2004
                      the list Address

                      Count me in for $10.00 and let me know how and when to pay
                      > Good suggestion-- It wont take too many $10's
                      > Count me in Helen-I will be needing some English deaths soon.
                      > Donna Coulter

                    • Gordon Williams
                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 18, 2004
                        Please count me in for $10.  I know we may already be over the necessary purchase price, but I also know the library can find a good use for an extra tenner!

                        Gordon Williams