RE: National Burial Index England and Wales - 2nd edition

  • Gordon Lane
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 17, 2004
      the list Address

      Hi Helen,

      I'll donate $10

      Regards

      Gordon Lane
      Chairman
      Alberta Family Histories Society
      712-16th Ave NW,
      Calgary, AB, T2W 0J8

      chairman@...
      www.afhs.ab.ca
      (403)214-1447

    • Roger Leach
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 17, 2004
        the list Address

        I am in for $10.00
        Roger Leach

        Helen Backhouse wrote:

        > the list Address
        >
        > To one and all,
        > Yes the AFHS library committee is seriously considering getting the 2nd
        > edition of the National Burial Index for England and Wales. This decision
        > should be made on the 23rd of August.
        > As the price will be in the 102 dollar range, we have to think carefully
        > about a purchase of this magnitude.
        > Helen

      • Donna Coulter
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 17, 2004
          the list Address

          Good suggestion-- It wont take too many $10's
          Count me in Helen-I will be needing some English deaths soon.
          Donna Coulter

          > Yes the AFHS library committee is seriously considering getting the 2nd
          > edition of the National Burial Index for England and Wales. This decision
          > should be made on the 23rd of August.
          > As the price will be in the 102 dollar range, we have to think carefully
          > about a purchase of this magnitude.
          > Helen

          ---

        • Pete Brewster
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 17, 2004
            Please remember that your reply will go to everyone on the list and the original sender so please stay on topic or ensure you delete the list Address I'd be happy to kick in $10 toward the purchase.

            Pete Brewster

            Xenia Stanford wrote:
             the list Address

            Hi Helen and AFHS members,

            Why don't a group of us interested in using the National Burial Index
            England and Wales - 2nd edition each donate about $10 to the library fund
            for this purchase. I'm sure there are at least 11 of us searching for
            ancestors in England. I finally found my Robert William Stanford and Lydia
            Wallace marriage in England and would be willing to pay $10 to see if I can
            find the death/burial of either. This is without knowing whether London's
            East end would be on the CD or not. $10 for a peek is not too much to pay.

            à bientôt,

            http://www.knowmap.com/age/
            Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564
            Call to find out the next free sessions of "Scrapbooking Made Easy"
            Or for the popular tile coaster making workshop!

            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 17, 2004
              the list Address

              Yes , I would be willing to donate the $ 10.00
              > Why don't a group of us interested in using the National Burial Index
              > England and Wales - 2nd edition each donate about $10 to the library fund
              > for this purchase. I'm sure there are at least 11 of us searching for
              > ancestors in England. I finally found my Robert William Stanford and Lydia
              > Wallace marriage in England and would be willing to pay $10 to see if I
              can
              > find the death/burial of either. This is without knowing whether London's
              > East end would be on the CD or not. $10 for a peek is not too much to pay.
              >

              > à bientôt,
              >
              > Xenia Stanford (president@...)
              > Column: "Nos Racines Francaise" http://globalgenealogy.com/globalgazette
              > Local genealogy book sales, professional research & writing:
              > http://www.knowmap.com/age/
              > Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564
              > Call to find out the next free sessions of "Scrapbooking Made Easy"
              > Or for the popular tile coaster making workshop!

            • Gord Hulbert
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 17, 2004
                the list Address

                Me too!

                Regards,

                Gord Hulbert
                403-240-4636

                Gordon@...

                > > Please remember that your reply will go to everyone on the list and
                > > the original sender so please stay on topic or ensure you delete
                > > the list Address
                > >
                > > To one and all,
                > > Yes the AFHS library committee is seriously considering getting the 2nd
                > > edition of the National Burial Index for England and Wales. This
                decision
                > > should be made on the 23rd of August.
                > > As the price will be in the 102 dollar range, we have to think carefully
                > > about a purchase of this magnitude.
                > > Helen

              • Marilyn
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 17, 2004
                  the list Address

                  Hi Helen,
                  I too would be most interested in donating $10 to the cause to help purchase
                  the NBI.
                  Just let me know when you'd like the money.

                  Marilyn Taylor

                  > Sorry Larry, I have no idea whether or not the AFHS or LDS are planning on
                  > getting a copy of the 2nd edition.
                  >
                  > I do know that the Calgary Stake FHC has a copy of the 1st edition.
                  >
                  > Rene

                • Alan Cassley
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 17, 2004
                    the list Address

                    Hi Helen
                    Count me in for $10
                    Alan C.
                    > Yes the AFHS library committee is seriously considering getting the 2nd
                    > edition of the National Burial Index for England and Wales. This decision
                    > should be made on the 23rd of August.
                    > As the price will be in the 102 dollar range, we have to think carefully
                    > about a purchase of this magnitude.
                    > Helen

                  • Alan Muise-Benner
                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 17, 2004
                      the list Address

                      Helen Backhouse wrote:

                      > To one and all,
                      > Yes the AFHS library committee is seriously considering getting the 2nd
                      > edition of the National Burial Index for England and Wales. This decision
                      > should be made on the 23rd of August.
                      > As the price will be in the 102 dollar range, we have to think carefully
                      > about a purchase of this magnitude.
                      > Helen

                      We seem to be at $100.00 as I reply to this message, and will happily make up
                      another $10.00 towards the cause. I had made an enquiry about some locales of
                      particular interest to me at this point. I thought you might all be interested
                      in the reply I had. Provides a little more information than was on the site when
                      I last looked. It follows:

                      Greetings;

                      Curious to know the extent of coverage for the counties of Gloucestershire,
                      Berkshire, and the East Anglia region. Funds are tight at the moment, and with
                      the exchange rate we currently work with, I must invest carefully.

                      Regards,
                      Al

                      Dear Al,

                      Thank you for your email. For information on the areas, please see below.

                      I am listing below, answers to a number of specific frequently asked questions,
                      which I hope will be of assistance. The information also advises you how to
                      download an order form.

                      Your Questions Answered

                      Question 1 - How can I obtain further information and obtain an order form?

                      Answer - You may download an informatory leaflet, which includes an order form,
                      by logging on to our online bookshop at www.familyhistorybooks.co.uk

                      then

                      - Enter the Bookshop
                      - click on National Burial Index under FFHS Publications
                      - on the dedicated National Burial Index page, click on 'NBI 2nd edition advance
                      offer'
                      in the left hand (maroon) panel
                      - click on Show this page
                      - and click on order form at the foot of the white panel

                      and Print.

                      Question 2 - I have the first edition of the NBI and would like to take
                      advantage of the update. Your reasons for requiring proof of purchase of a
                      genuine first edition are very fair, but I have a problem about advance
                      purchase. Up to what date are you receiving advance orders? The point of my
                      question is that, during the period between returning my Disk 1 of the first
                      edition and receiving the second edition, I won't be able to use the first
                      edition. How long do I need to practice this abstinence?

                      Answer - The offer to trade in the first edition of the NBI will remain open
                      for the whole life of the second edition, however long that may be. However, in
                      order to take advantage of the special 10% discount, your order with payment
                      will need to reach us by 26th August 2004. With regard to your 'period of
                      abstinence', there is really no need to trade in your first edition of the NBI
                      at this early date. Arrangements are in place to ensure that orders received by
                      the 26th August 2004 will be dispatched during the first week of September,
                      although we do ask you to allow 28 days for delivery. We feel that submitting
                      your order for a trade-in during late July and early August should be quite soon
                      enough.

                      Question 3 - Does the second edition of the NBI contain any Cornwall or Devon
                      records? The first edition was also short on London records. Does it contain
                      more of them?

                      Answer - Although the extra 8 million records in the second edition contain
                      many more counties and parishes, obviously not all burials are included. The
                      table below compares the number of records per pre-1832 county on edition 1,
                      with those to be included on edition 2.

                      County 2nd Edition 1st Edition

                      Bedfordshire 356,000 52,000

                      Berkshire 351,000 117,000

                      Brecon 5,000

                      Buckinghamshire 83,000 80,000

                      Cambridgeshire 197,000 95,000

                      Cardiganshire 108,000 11,000

                      Cheshire 399,000 255,000

                      Cornwall 112,000

                      Cumberland 57,000

                      Derbyshire 82,000 35,000

                      Dorset 305,000 1,000

                      Durham 402,000 159,000

                      Essex 500,000 48,000

                      Glamorganshire 363,000 249,000

                      Gloucestershire 167,000 154,000

                      Hampshire < 1,000 < 1,000

                      Herefordshire 67,000 42,000

                      Hertfordshire 137,000 84,000

                      Huntingdonshire 192,000 76,000

                      Isle of Man 7,000

                      Kent 205,000 16,000

                      Lancashire 170,000 29,000

                      Leicestershire 329,000 < 1,000

                      Lincolnshire 711,000 616,000

                      London City 138,000

                      Middlesex 11,000 11,000

                      Monmouthshire 7,000 < 1,000

                      Montgomeryshire < 1,000 < 1,000

                      Norfolk 105,000 74,000

                      Northamptonshire 198,000 85,000

                      Northumberland 180,000 106,000

                      Nottinghamshire 281,000

                      Oxfordshire 213,000 213,000

                      Radnorshire 11,000 5,000

                      Rutland 19,000

                      Shropshire 168,000 85,000

                      Somerset 768,000 2,000

                      Staffordshire 799,000 18,000

                      Suffolk 803,000 429,000

                      Surrey 370,000 120,000

                      Sussex 316,000

                      Warwickshire 507,000 460,000

                      Westmorland 6,000

                      Wiltshire 224,000 145,000

                      Worcestershire 552,000 483,000

                      Yorkshire[City/Ainsty] 34,000 19,000

                      Yorkshire East Riding 40,000 28,000

                      Yorkshire North Riding 380,000 306,000

                      Yorkshire West Riding 1,689,000 708,000

                      In due course, a link to an indexed list of parishes per county and the 'time
                      span', will be available on the dedicated NBI page on our online bookshop.

                      Question 4 - If I order an 'update' copy of the second edition of the NBI and
                      return Disk 1 and the booklet from the first edition, how will I know that you
                      have received them?

                      Answer - Customers ordering an update by post requiring a 'confirmation of
                      receipt', should include a stamped, self-addressed envelope and we will reply
                      confirming that their returned Disk 1 and booklet, were genuine. First-time
                      buyers ordering through the online bookshop, will automatically receive an email
                      confirming their order. If customers order for the first time by fax, we will
                      acknowledge receipt by return of fax, if requested.

                      Best Wishes,

                      Terry Walsh,
                      FFHS Publications Manager

                    • Eddie firth
                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 18, 2004
                        the list Address

                        Count me in for $10.00 and let me know how and when to pay
                        > Good suggestion-- It wont take too many $10's
                        > Count me in Helen-I will be needing some English deaths soon.
                        > Donna Coulter

                      • Gordon Williams
                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 18, 2004
                          Please count me in for $10.  I know we may already be over the necessary purchase price, but I also know the library can find a good use for an extra tenner!

                          Gordon Williams