RE: National Burial Index England and Wales - 2nd edition

    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 17, 2004
      the list Address

      Hi Helen and AFHS members,

      Why don't a group of us interested in using the National Burial Index
      England and Wales - 2nd edition each donate about $10 to the library fund
      for this purchase. I'm sure there are at least 11 of us searching for
      ancestors in England. I finally found my Robert William Stanford and Lydia
      Wallace marriage in England and would be willing to pay $10 to see if I can
      find the death/burial of either. This is without knowing whether London's
      East end would be on the CD or not. $10 for a peek is not too much to pay.

      à bientôt,

      http://www.knowmap.com/age/
      Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564
      Call to find out the next free sessions of "Scrapbooking Made Easy"
      Or for the popular tile coaster making workshop!

      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 17, 2004
        the list Address

        Good Idea!

        Count me in.

        Carol Lee

        > Why don't a group of us interested in using the National Burial Index
        > England and Wales - 2nd edition each donate about $10 to the library
        fund
        > for this purchase. I'm sure there are at least 11 of us searching for
        > ancestors in England. I finally found my Robert William Stanford and
        Lydia
        > Wallace marriage in England and would be willing to pay $10 to see if I
        can
        > find the death/burial of either. This is without knowing whether
        London's
        > East end would be on the CD or not. $10 for a peek is not too much to
        pay.

        > à bientôt,
        >
        > Xenia Stanford (president@...)
        > Column: "Nos Racines Francaise" http://globalgenealogy.com/globalgazette
        > Local genealogy book sales, professional research & writing:
        > http://www.knowmap.com/age/
        > Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564
        > Call to find out the next free sessions of "Scrapbooking Made Easy"
        > Or for the popular tile coaster making workshop!

      • Gordon Lane
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 17, 2004
          the list Address

          Hi Helen,

          I'll donate $10

          Regards

          Gordon Lane
          Chairman
          Alberta Family Histories Society
          712-16th Ave NW,
          Calgary, AB, T2W 0J8

          chairman@...
          www.afhs.ab.ca
          (403)214-1447

        • Roger Leach
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 17, 2004
            the list Address

            I am in for $10.00
            Roger Leach

            Helen Backhouse wrote:

            > the list Address
            >
            > To one and all,
            > Yes the AFHS library committee is seriously considering getting the 2nd
            > edition of the National Burial Index for England and Wales. This decision
            > should be made on the 23rd of August.
            > As the price will be in the 102 dollar range, we have to think carefully
            > about a purchase of this magnitude.
            > Helen

          • Donna Coulter
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 17, 2004
              the list Address

              Good suggestion-- It wont take too many $10's
              Count me in Helen-I will be needing some English deaths soon.
              Donna Coulter

              > Yes the AFHS library committee is seriously considering getting the 2nd
              > edition of the National Burial Index for England and Wales. This decision
              > should be made on the 23rd of August.
              > As the price will be in the 102 dollar range, we have to think carefully
              > about a purchase of this magnitude.
              > Helen

              ---

            • Pete Brewster

                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 17, 2004
                  the list Address

                  Yes , I would be willing to donate the $ 10.00
                  > Why don't a group of us interested in using the National Burial Index
                  > England and Wales - 2nd edition each donate about $10 to the library fund
                  > for this purchase. I'm sure there are at least 11 of us searching for
                  > ancestors in England. I finally found my Robert William Stanford and Lydia
                  > Wallace marriage in England and would be willing to pay $10 to see if I
                  can
                  > find the death/burial of either. This is without knowing whether London's
                  > East end would be on the CD or not. $10 for a peek is not too much to pay.
                  >

                  > à bientôt,
                  >
                  > Xenia Stanford (president@...)
                  > Column: "Nos Racines Francaise" http://globalgenealogy.com/globalgazette
                  > Local genealogy book sales, professional research & writing:
                  > http://www.knowmap.com/age/
                  > Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564
                  > Call to find out the next free sessions of "Scrapbooking Made Easy"
                  > Or for the popular tile coaster making workshop!

                • Gord Hulbert
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 17, 2004
                    the list Address

                    Me too!

                    Regards,

                    Gord Hulbert
                    403-240-4636

                    Gordon@...

                    > > Please remember that your reply will go to everyone on the list and
                    > > the original sender so please stay on topic or ensure you delete
                    > > the list Address
                    > >
                    > > To one and all,
                    > > Yes the AFHS library committee is seriously considering getting the 2nd
                    > > edition of the National Burial Index for England and Wales. This
                    decision
                    > > should be made on the 23rd of August.
                    > > As the price will be in the 102 dollar range, we have to think carefully
                    > > about a purchase of this magnitude.
                    > > Helen

                  • Marilyn
                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 17, 2004
                      the list Address

                      Hi Helen,
                      I too would be most interested in donating $10 to the cause to help purchase
                      the NBI.
                      Just let me know when you'd like the money.

                      Marilyn Taylor

                      > Sorry Larry, I have no idea whether or not the AFHS or LDS are planning on
                      > getting a copy of the 2nd edition.
                      >
                      > I do know that the Calgary Stake FHC has a copy of the 1st edition.
                      >
                      > Rene

                    • Alan Cassley
                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 17, 2004
                        the list Address

                        Hi Helen
                        Count me in for $10
                        Alan C.
                        > Yes the AFHS library committee is seriously considering getting the 2nd
                        > edition of the National Burial Index for England and Wales. This decision
                        > should be made on the 23rd of August.
                        > As the price will be in the 102 dollar range, we have to think carefully
                        > about a purchase of this magnitude.
                        > Helen

                      • Alan Muise-Benner
                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 17, 2004
                          the list Address

                          Helen Backhouse wrote:

                          > To one and all,
                          > Yes the AFHS library committee is seriously considering getting the 2nd
                          > edition of the National Burial Index for England and Wales. This decision
                          > should be made on the 23rd of August.
                          > As the price will be in the 102 dollar range, we have to think carefully
                          > about a purchase of this magnitude.
                          > Helen

                          We seem to be at $100.00 as I reply to this message, and will happily make up
                          another $10.00 towards the cause. I had made an enquiry about some locales of
                          particular interest to me at this point. I thought you might all be interested
                          in the reply I had. Provides a little more information than was on the site when
                          I last looked. It follows:

                          Greetings;

                          Curious to know the extent of coverage for the counties of Gloucestershire,
                          Berkshire, and the East Anglia region. Funds are tight at the moment, and with
                          the exchange rate we currently work with, I must invest carefully.

                          Regards,
                          Al

                          Dear Al,

                          Thank you for your email. For information on the areas, please see below.

                          I am listing below, answers to a number of specific frequently asked questions,
                          which I hope will be of assistance. The information also advises you how to
                          download an order form.

                          Your Questions Answered

                          Question 1 - How can I obtain further information and obtain an order form?

                          Answer - You may download an informatory leaflet, which includes an order form,
                          by logging on to our online bookshop at www.familyhistorybooks.co.uk

                          then

                          - Enter the Bookshop
                          - click on National Burial Index under FFHS Publications
                          - on the dedicated National Burial Index page, click on 'NBI 2nd edition advance
                          offer'
                          in the left hand (maroon) panel
                          - click on Show this page
                          - and click on order form at the foot of the white panel

                          and Print.

                          Question 2 - I have the first edition of the NBI and would like to take
                          advantage of the update. Your reasons for requiring proof of purchase of a
                          genuine first edition are very fair, but I have a problem about advance
                          purchase. Up to what date are you receiving advance orders? The point of my
                          question is that, during the period between returning my Disk 1 of the first
                          edition and receiving the second edition, I won't be able to use the first
                          edition. How long do I need to practice this abstinence?

                          Answer - The offer to trade in the first edition of the NBI will remain open
                          for the whole life of the second edition, however long that may be. However, in
                          order to take advantage of the special 10% discount, your order with payment
                          will need to reach us by 26th August 2004. With regard to your 'period of
                          abstinence', there is really no need to trade in your first edition of the NBI
                          at this early date. Arrangements are in place to ensure that orders received by
                          the 26th August 2004 will be dispatched during the first week of September,
                          although we do ask you to allow 28 days for delivery. We feel that submitting
                          your order for a trade-in during late July and early August should be quite soon
                          enough.

                          Question 3 - Does the second edition of the NBI contain any Cornwall or Devon
                          records? The first edition was also short on London records. Does it contain
                          more of them?

                          Answer - Although the extra 8 million records in the second edition contain
                          many more counties and parishes, obviously not all burials are included. The
                          table below compares the number of records per pre-1832 county on edition 1,
                          with those to be included on edition 2.

                          County 2nd Edition 1st Edition

                          Bedfordshire 356,000 52,000

                          Berkshire 351,000 117,000

                          Brecon 5,000

                          Buckinghamshire 83,000 80,000

                          Cambridgeshire 197,000 95,000

                          Cardiganshire 108,000 11,000

                          Cheshire 399,000 255,000

                          Cornwall 112,000

                          Cumberland 57,000

                          Derbyshire 82,000 35,000

                          Dorset 305,000 1,000

                          Durham 402,000 159,000

                          Essex 500,000 48,000

                          Glamorganshire 363,000 249,000

                          Gloucestershire 167,000 154,000

                          Hampshire < 1,000 < 1,000

                          Herefordshire 67,000 42,000

                          Hertfordshire 137,000 84,000

                          Huntingdonshire 192,000 76,000

                          Isle of Man 7,000

                          Kent 205,000 16,000

                          Lancashire 170,000 29,000

                          Leicestershire 329,000 < 1,000

                          Lincolnshire 711,000 616,000

                          London City 138,000

                          Middlesex 11,000 11,000

                          Monmouthshire 7,000 < 1,000

                          Montgomeryshire < 1,000 < 1,000

                          Norfolk 105,000 74,000

                          Northamptonshire 198,000 85,000

                          Northumberland 180,000 106,000

                          Nottinghamshire 281,000

                          Oxfordshire 213,000 213,000

                          Radnorshire 11,000 5,000

                          Rutland 19,000

                          Shropshire 168,000 85,000

                          Somerset 768,000 2,000

                          Staffordshire 799,000 18,000

                          Suffolk 803,000 429,000

                          Surrey 370,000 120,000

                          Sussex 316,000

                          Warwickshire 507,000 460,000

                          Westmorland 6,000

                          Wiltshire 224,000 145,000

                          Worcestershire 552,000 483,000

                          Yorkshire[City/Ainsty] 34,000 19,000

                          Yorkshire East Riding 40,000 28,000

                          Yorkshire North Riding 380,000 306,000

                          Yorkshire West Riding 1,689,000 708,000

                          In due course, a link to an indexed list of parishes per county and the 'time
                          span', will be available on the dedicated NBI page on our online bookshop.

                          Question 4 - If I order an 'update' copy of the second edition of the NBI and
                          return Disk 1 and the booklet from the first edition, how will I know that you
                          have received them?

                          Answer - Customers ordering an update by post requiring a 'confirmation of
                          receipt', should include a stamped, self-addressed envelope and we will reply
                          confirming that their returned Disk 1 and booklet, were genuine. First-time
                          buyers ordering through the online bookshop, will automatically receive an email
                          confirming their order. If customers order for the first time by fax, we will
                          acknowledge receipt by return of fax, if requested.

                          Best Wishes,

                          Terry Walsh,
                          FFHS Publications Manager

                        • Eddie firth
                          Message 12 of 17 , Aug 18, 2004
                            the list Address

                            Count me in for $10.00 and let me know how and when to pay
                            > Good suggestion-- It wont take too many $10's
                            > Count me in Helen-I will be needing some English deaths soon.
                            > Donna Coulter

                          • Gordon Williams
                            Message 13 of 17 , Aug 18, 2004
                              Please count me in for $10.  I know we may already be over the necessary purchase price, but I also know the library can find a good use for an extra tenner!

                              Gordon Williams