Re: Desktop Background, Windows XP

  • Donna Coulter
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 16 7:51 PM
      Now ----I hope everyone answers this so we can all see it. I am always getting unsolicited icons on my desktop.
      I thought I was the only one ----and that it was ME that was doing something wrong. NEVER-- not me
      Donna Coulter

      ----- Original Message -----
      Sent: Monday, August 16, 2004 8:40 PM
      Subject: Desktop Background, Windows XP

      Dear Experts,

      Somehow Windows XP has added the contents of the 'My Pictures' Folder to the list of backgrounds for the desktop, about 50 pictures.
      I've tried to delete these references, but 'right click' doesn't give me anything, 'highlight + delete'  doesn't delete them. There's no Help.
      I know they are harmless, but I'd like to have some say in the matter.

      How did they get there? (I didn't consciously do anything .)
      How can I delete them?

      Heeeelp!
      Alan Cassley.

      ---
    • From Brian
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 16 8:17 PM
        Alan, I don't know if this will answer the question for you for sure. By chance I received this link as part of my Saturday Kim Kommando show e-mail. It explains how to set your screen saver to your pictures. If you kind of reverse engineer this one, I  think you will have the solution to your situation. The link is
        http://www.komando.com/kolumns_show.asp?showID=6119#complete
          I hope this works for you.

          Brian

        At 08:40 PM 8/16/04 Monday, you wrote:
        Dear Experts,

        Somehow Windows XP has added the contents of the 'My Pictures' Folder to the list of backgrounds for the desktop, about 50 pictures.
        I've tried to delete these references, but 'right click' doesn't give me anything, 'highlight + delete'  doesn't delete them. There's no Help.
        I know they are harmless, but I'd like to have some say in the matter.

        How did they get there? (I didn't consciously do anything .)
        How can I delete them?

        Heeeelp!
        Alan Cassley.
      • Doug Hay
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 16 8:20 PM
          Alan Cassley wrote:
          > Dear Experts,
          >
          > Somehow Windows XP has added the contents of the 'My Pictures' Folder to the list of backgrounds for the desktop, about 50 pictures.
          > I've tried to delete these references, but 'right click' doesn't give me anything, 'highlight + delete' doesn't delete them. There's no Help.
          > I know they are harmless, but I'd like to have some say in the matter.
          >
          > How did they get there? (I didn't consciously do anything .)
          > How can I delete them?
          >
          > Heeeelp!
          > Alan Cassley.

          Alan,
          Right clicking on your desktop brings up a menu, one of which is
          screensaver. That is where you can choose to have My Pictures as a
          saver. I just started using this a week or so ago. It brings up some
          pictures that I forgot I had and is kind of fun.

          Doug

          http://www.afhs.ab.ca
        • Gordon Lane
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 16 8:42 PM
            Hi Alan,

            go into Windows Explorer and move the whole Picture Folder somewhere else on your C drive.

            Open Control Panel, check your Display listing and you should find that they have all been removed from the list.

            You can then close out the Control Panel and then move the folder back to it's original position

            Regards

            Gordon Lane
            Chairman
            Alberta Family Histories Society
            712-16th Ave NW,
            Calgary, AB, T2W 0J8

            chairman@...
            www.afhs.ab.ca
            (403)214-1447

            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 17 8:09 PM
              Hi Brian
              I can see that it's easy to add pictures, but I couldn't reverse the process. It seems that once they are in the list they are permanently there.
              Thanks for the help.
              Alan C.