Desktop Background, Windows XP

  • Alan Cassley
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 16, 2004
      Dear Experts,

      Somehow Windows XP has added the contents of the 'My Pictures' Folder to the list of backgrounds for the desktop, about 50 pictures.
      I've tried to delete these references, but 'right click' doesn't give me anything, 'highlight + delete'  doesn't delete them. There's no Help.
      I know they are harmless, but I'd like to have some say in the matter.

      How did they get there? (I didn't consciously do anything .)
      How can I delete them?

      Heeeelp!
      Alan Cassley.
    • Donna Coulter
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 16, 2004
        Now ----I hope everyone answers this so we can all see it. I am always getting unsolicited icons on my desktop.
        I thought I was the only one ----and that it was ME that was doing something wrong. NEVER-- not me
        Donna Coulter

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 16, 2004
          Alan, I don't know if this will answer the question for you for sure. By chance I received this link as part of my Saturday Kim Kommando show e-mail. It explains how to set your screen saver to your pictures. If you kind of reverse engineer this one, I  think you will have the solution to your situation. The link is
          http://www.komando.com/kolumns_show.asp?showID=6119#complete
            I hope this works for you.

            Brian

          At 08:40 PM 8/16/04 Monday, you wrote:
          Dear Experts,

          Somehow Windows XP has added the contents of the 'My Pictures' Folder to the list of backgrounds for the desktop, about 50 pictures.
          I've tried to delete these references, but 'right click' doesn't give me anything, 'highlight + delete'  doesn't delete them. There's no Help.
          I know they are harmless, but I'd like to have some say in the matter.

          How did they get there? (I didn't consciously do anything .)
          How can I delete them?

          Heeeelp!
          Alan Cassley.
        • Doug Hay
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 16, 2004
            Alan Cassley wrote:
            > Dear Experts,
            >
            > Somehow Windows XP has added the contents of the 'My Pictures' Folder to the list of backgrounds for the desktop, about 50 pictures.
            > I've tried to delete these references, but 'right click' doesn't give me anything, 'highlight + delete' doesn't delete them. There's no Help.
            > I know they are harmless, but I'd like to have some say in the matter.
            >
            > How did they get there? (I didn't consciously do anything .)
            > How can I delete them?
            >
            > Heeeelp!
            > Alan Cassley.

            Alan,
            Right clicking on your desktop brings up a menu, one of which is
            screensaver. That is where you can choose to have My Pictures as a
            saver. I just started using this a week or so ago. It brings up some
            pictures that I forgot I had and is kind of fun.

            Doug

            http://www.afhs.ab.ca
          • Gordon Lane
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 16, 2004
              Hi Alan,

              go into Windows Explorer and move the whole Picture Folder somewhere else on your C drive.

              Open Control Panel, check your Display listing and you should find that they have all been removed from the list.

              You can then close out the Control Panel and then move the folder back to it's original position

              Regards

              Gordon Lane
              Chairman
              Alberta Family Histories Society
              712-16th Ave NW,
              Calgary, AB, T2W 0J8

              chairman@...
              www.afhs.ab.ca
              (403)214-1447

              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 17, 2004
                Hi Brian
                I can see that it's easy to add pictures, but I couldn't reverse the process. It seems that once they are in the list they are permanently there.
                Thanks for the help.
                Alan C.