Re: National Burial Index England and Wales - 2nd edition

  • Larry McCool
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 16, 2004
      the list Address

      Rene ---

      Is the AFHS or LDS planning on getting a copy and
      also have we a copy of the first CD?

      Larry

      Larry & Doreen McCool
      Calgary, AB Canada
      Our new address is
      mccoollh@...
      Our website is now at

      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 17, 2004
        the list Address

        Sorry Larry, I have no idea whether or not the AFHS or LDS are planning on
        getting a copy of the 2nd edition.

        I do know that the Calgary Stake FHC has a copy of the 1st edition.

        Rene

        > The 2nd edition of the NBI will be available on September 1st. It contains
        > 13 million burial records for England and Wales. If you are planning on
        > buying this CD set, now is the time to do it. The price is discounted by
        10%
        > for orders received in England by August 26th.
        >
        > To download the order form go to:
        >
        > http://www.genfair.com/shop/pages/nbi/nbi2order.pdf
        >
        > Rene Dussome
        >

        > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
        >
        > http://www.family-roots.ca

      • Helen Backhouse
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 17, 2004
          the list Address

          To one and all,
          Yes the AFHS library committee is seriously considering getting the 2nd
          edition of the National Burial Index for England and Wales. This decision
          should be made on the 23rd of August.
          As the price will be in the 102 dollar range, we have to think carefully
          about a purchase of this magnitude.
          Helen

          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 17, 2004
            the list Address

            Hi Helen and AFHS members,

            Why don't a group of us interested in using the National Burial Index
            England and Wales - 2nd edition each donate about $10 to the library fund
            for this purchase. I'm sure there are at least 11 of us searching for
            ancestors in England. I finally found my Robert William Stanford and Lydia
            Wallace marriage in England and would be willing to pay $10 to see if I can
            find the death/burial of either. This is without knowing whether London's
            East end would be on the CD or not. $10 for a peek is not too much to pay.

            à bientôt,

            http://www.knowmap.com/age/
            Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564
            Call to find out the next free sessions of "Scrapbooking Made Easy"
            Or for the popular tile coaster making workshop!

            > Sorry Larry, I have no idea whether or not the AFHS or LDS are planning on
            > getting a copy of the 2nd edition.
            >
            > I do know that the Calgary Stake FHC has a copy of the 1st edition.
            >
            > Rene

          • Carol Lee
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 17, 2004
              the list Address

              Good Idea!

              Count me in.

              Carol Lee

              > Why don't a group of us interested in using the National Burial Index
              > England and Wales - 2nd edition each donate about $10 to the library
              fund
              > for this purchase. I'm sure there are at least 11 of us searching for
              > ancestors in England. I finally found my Robert William Stanford and
              Lydia
              > Wallace marriage in England and would be willing to pay $10 to see if I
              can
              > find the death/burial of either. This is without knowing whether
              London's
              > East end would be on the CD or not. $10 for a peek is not too much to
              pay.

              > à bientôt,
              >
              > Xenia Stanford (president@...)
              > Column: "Nos Racines Francaise" http://globalgenealogy.com/globalgazette
              > Local genealogy book sales, professional research & writing:
              > http://www.knowmap.com/age/
              > Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564
              > Call to find out the next free sessions of "Scrapbooking Made Easy"
              > Or for the popular tile coaster making workshop!

            • Gordon Lane
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 17, 2004
                the list Address

                Hi Helen,

                I'll donate $10

                Regards

                Gordon Lane
                Chairman
                Alberta Family Histories Society
                712-16th Ave NW,
                Calgary, AB, T2W 0J8

                chairman@...
                www.afhs.ab.ca
                (403)214-1447

              • Roger Leach
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 17, 2004
                  the list Address

                  I am in for $10.00
                  Roger Leach

                  Helen Backhouse wrote:

                  > the list Address
                  >
                  > To one and all,
                  > Yes the AFHS library committee is seriously considering getting the 2nd
                  > edition of the National Burial Index for England and Wales. This decision
                  > should be made on the 23rd of August.
                  > As the price will be in the 102 dollar range, we have to think carefully
                  > about a purchase of this magnitude.
                  > Helen

                • Donna Coulter
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 17, 2004
                    the list Address

                    Good suggestion-- It wont take too many $10's
                    Count me in Helen-I will be needing some English deaths soon.
                    Donna Coulter

                    > Yes the AFHS library committee is seriously considering getting the 2nd
                    > edition of the National Burial Index for England and Wales. This decision
                    > should be made on the 23rd of August.
                    > As the price will be in the 102 dollar range, we have to think carefully
                    > about a purchase of this magnitude.
                    > Helen

                    ---

                  • Pete Brewster

                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 17, 2004
                        the list Address

                        Yes , I would be willing to donate the $ 10.00
                        > Why don't a group of us interested in using the National Burial Index
                        > England and Wales - 2nd edition each donate about $10 to the library fund
                        > for this purchase. I'm sure there are at least 11 of us searching for
                        > ancestors in England. I finally found my Robert William Stanford and Lydia
                        > Wallace marriage in England and would be willing to pay $10 to see if I
                        can
                        > find the death/burial of either. This is without knowing whether London's
                        > East end would be on the CD or not. $10 for a peek is not too much to pay.
                        >

                        > à bientôt,
                        >
                        > Xenia Stanford (president@...)
                        > Column: "Nos Racines Francaise" http://globalgenealogy.com/globalgazette
                        > Local genealogy book sales, professional research & writing:
                        > http://www.knowmap.com/age/
                        > Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564
                        > Call to find out the next free sessions of "Scrapbooking Made Easy"
                        > Or for the popular tile coaster making workshop!

                      • Gord Hulbert
                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 17, 2004
                          the list Address

                          Me too!

                          Regards,

                          Gord Hulbert
                          403-240-4636

                          Gordon@...

                          > > Please remember that your reply will go to everyone on the list and
                          > > the original sender so please stay on topic or ensure you delete
                          > > the list Address
                          > >
                          > > To one and all,
                          > > Yes the AFHS library committee is seriously considering getting the 2nd
                          > > edition of the National Burial Index for England and Wales. This
                          decision
                          > > should be made on the 23rd of August.
                          > > As the price will be in the 102 dollar range, we have to think carefully
                          > > about a purchase of this magnitude.
                          > > Helen

                        • Marilyn
                          Message 12 of 17 , Aug 17, 2004
                            the list Address

                            Hi Helen,
                            I too would be most interested in donating $10 to the cause to help purchase
                            the NBI.
                            Just let me know when you'd like the money.

                            Marilyn Taylor

                            > Sorry Larry, I have no idea whether or not the AFHS or LDS are planning on
                            > getting a copy of the 2nd edition.
                            >
                            > I do know that the Calgary Stake FHC has a copy of the 1st edition.
                            >
                            > Rene

                          • Alan Cassley
                            Message 13 of 17 , Aug 17, 2004
                              the list Address

                              Hi Helen
                              Count me in for $10
                              Alan C.
                              > Yes the AFHS library committee is seriously considering getting the 2nd
                              > edition of the National Burial Index for England and Wales. This decision
                              > should be made on the 23rd of August.
                              > As the price will be in the 102 dollar range, we have to think carefully
                              > about a purchase of this magnitude.
                              > Helen

                            • Alan Muise-Benner
                              Message 14 of 17 , Aug 17, 2004
                                the list Address

                                Helen Backhouse wrote:

                                > To one and all,
                                > Yes the AFHS library committee is seriously considering getting the 2nd
                                > edition of the National Burial Index for England and Wales. This decision
                                > should be made on the 23rd of August.
                                > As the price will be in the 102 dollar range, we have to think carefully
                                > about a purchase of this magnitude.
                                > Helen

                                We seem to be at $100.00 as I reply to this message, and will happily make up
                                another $10.00 towards the cause. I had made an enquiry about some locales of
                                particular interest to me at this point. I thought you might all be interested
                                in the reply I had. Provides a little more information than was on the site when
                                I last looked. It follows:

                                Greetings;

                                Curious to know the extent of coverage for the counties of Gloucestershire,
                                Berkshire, and the East Anglia region. Funds are tight at the moment, and with
                                the exchange rate we currently work with, I must invest carefully.

                                Regards,
                                Al

                                Dear Al,

                                Thank you for your email. For information on the areas, please see below.

                                I am listing below, answers to a number of specific frequently asked questions,
                                which I hope will be of assistance. The information also advises you how to
                                download an order form.

                                Your Questions Answered

                                Question 1 - How can I obtain further information and obtain an order form?

                                Answer - You may download an informatory leaflet, which includes an order form,
                                by logging on to our online bookshop at www.familyhistorybooks.co.uk

                                then

                                - Enter the Bookshop
                                - click on National Burial Index under FFHS Publications
                                - on the dedicated National Burial Index page, click on 'NBI 2nd edition advance
                                offer'
                                in the left hand (maroon) panel
                                - click on Show this page
                                - and click on order form at the foot of the white panel

                                and Print.

                                Question 2 - I have the first edition of the NBI and would like to take
                                advantage of the update. Your reasons for requiring proof of purchase of a
                                genuine first edition are very fair, but I have a problem about advance
                                purchase. Up to what date are you receiving advance orders? The point of my
                                question is that, during the period between returning my Disk 1 of the first
                                edition and receiving the second edition, I won't be able to use the first
                                edition. How long do I need to practice this abstinence?

                                Answer - The offer to trade in the first edition of the NBI will remain open
                                for the whole life of the second edition, however long that may be. However, in
                                order to take advantage of the special 10% discount, your order with payment
                                will need to reach us by 26th August 2004. With regard to your 'period of
                                abstinence', there is really no need to trade in your first edition of the NBI
                                at this early date. Arrangements are in place to ensure that orders received by
                                the 26th August 2004 will be dispatched during the first week of September,
                                although we do ask you to allow 28 days for delivery. We feel that submitting
                                your order for a trade-in during late July and early August should be quite soon
                                enough.

                                Question 3 - Does the second edition of the NBI contain any Cornwall or Devon
                                records? The first edition was also short on London records. Does it contain
                                more of them?

                                Answer - Although the extra 8 million records in the second edition contain
                                many more counties and parishes, obviously not all burials are included. The
                                table below compares the number of records per pre-1832 county on edition 1,
                                with those to be included on edition 2.

                                County 2nd Edition 1st Edition

                                Bedfordshire 356,000 52,000

                                Berkshire 351,000 117,000

                                Brecon 5,000

                                Buckinghamshire 83,000 80,000

                                Cambridgeshire 197,000 95,000

                                Cardiganshire 108,000 11,000

                                Cheshire 399,000 255,000

                                Cornwall 112,000

                                Cumberland 57,000

                                Derbyshire 82,000 35,000

                                Dorset 305,000 1,000

                                Durham 402,000 159,000

                                Essex 500,000 48,000

                                Glamorganshire 363,000 249,000

                                Gloucestershire 167,000 154,000

                                Hampshire < 1,000 < 1,000

                                Herefordshire 67,000 42,000

                                Hertfordshire 137,000 84,000

                                Huntingdonshire 192,000 76,000

                                Isle of Man 7,000

                                Kent 205,000 16,000

                                Lancashire 170,000 29,000

                                Leicestershire 329,000 < 1,000

                                Lincolnshire 711,000 616,000

                                London City 138,000

                                Middlesex 11,000 11,000

                                Monmouthshire 7,000 < 1,000

                                Montgomeryshire < 1,000 < 1,000

                                Norfolk 105,000 74,000

                                Northamptonshire 198,000 85,000

                                Northumberland 180,000 106,000

                                Nottinghamshire 281,000

                                Oxfordshire 213,000 213,000

                                Radnorshire 11,000 5,000

                                Rutland 19,000

                                Shropshire 168,000 85,000

                                Somerset 768,000 2,000

                                Staffordshire 799,000 18,000

                                Suffolk 803,000 429,000

                                Surrey 370,000 120,000

                                Sussex 316,000

                                Warwickshire 507,000 460,000

                                Westmorland 6,000

                                Wiltshire 224,000 145,000

                                Worcestershire 552,000 483,000

                                Yorkshire[City/Ainsty] 34,000 19,000

                                Yorkshire East Riding 40,000 28,000

                                Yorkshire North Riding 380,000 306,000

                                Yorkshire West Riding 1,689,000 708,000

                                In due course, a link to an indexed list of parishes per county and the 'time
                                span', will be available on the dedicated NBI page on our online bookshop.

                                Question 4 - If I order an 'update' copy of the second edition of the NBI and
                                return Disk 1 and the booklet from the first edition, how will I know that you
                                have received them?

                                Answer - Customers ordering an update by post requiring a 'confirmation of
                                receipt', should include a stamped, self-addressed envelope and we will reply
                                confirming that their returned Disk 1 and booklet, were genuine. First-time
                                buyers ordering through the online bookshop, will automatically receive an email
                                confirming their order. If customers order for the first time by fax, we will
                                acknowledge receipt by return of fax, if requested.

                                Best Wishes,

                                Terry Walsh,
                                FFHS Publications Manager

                              • Eddie firth
                                Message 15 of 17 , Aug 18, 2004
                                  the list Address

                                  Count me in for $10.00 and let me know how and when to pay
                                  > Good suggestion-- It wont take too many $10's
                                  > Count me in Helen-I will be needing some English deaths soon.
                                  > Donna Coulter

                                • Gordon Williams
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Aug 18, 2004
                                    Please count me in for $10.  I know we may already be over the necessary purchase price, but I also know the library can find a good use for an extra tenner!

                                    Gordon Williams