RE: Family Tree Maker

    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 14, 2004
      the list Address

      Thanks Alan and Wendy!

      Works like a charm.

      Don't know why I couldn't find it myself!

      Xenia

      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 14, 2004
        the list Address

        Besides Help showing individuals in a FTM file, Custom Reports can be used
        to count how many individuals with data in a particular field, how many
        specific date or location fields are empty, number of descendants with or
        without including spouses, how many individuals have a specific word
        (location) mentioned in "any and all text fields."

        I'll check my collection to see if there was a handout on the subject of
        custom reports for the FTM user group meetings. Many people use FTM for
        years without learning to create custom reports or direct line charts
        (with/without siblings.)

        FTM 2005 was announced at the end of July 2004.
        http://www.familytreemaker.com has an online order form and registered FTM
        11 were contacted if they permitted e-mail from genealogy.com which is now
        part of myfamily.com Shipping expected to start August 17 from Utah.

        Major change in the look of the family page and a new pedigree view. The
        official FTM TECH mailing list has a customer's report about successful
        upgrade to SP 2, the new Windows XP. -- Elizabeth

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 14, 2004
          the list Address

          Thanks Elisabeth.

          I use all report, etc. features under Views, Contents, Format and other pull
          down menus to customize reports, on a regular basis. I looked under Help in
          version 8 but I did not see the Family Status so I must not have checked
          under version 9 or else I am blind!

          I have ordered both FTM 2005 and the latest version of Legacy Family Tree. I
          will be interested to see if FTM 2005 will allow me to have more than 38,631
          kb - which is 20,000 plus individuals using nearly all fields except
          scrapbook. I removed the scrapbook items to try to expand the number of
          people but I have extensive notes, sources and other fields I created,
          especially in my French lines where I enter "dit" names, French spellings,
          baptism dates/places, marriage contracts and marriage dispensations where
          known. As well there are very few in my French file that do not have
          multiple marriages. Only those women who married and died in childbirth seem
          to be the only ones who did not have multiple marriages. Since the widows
          often married widowers and in-laws sometimes married other non-blood related
          in-laws, the file is one complicated web!

          Splitting files and/or losing data is a pain in FTM. I'm hoping 2005 will
          overcome that. Rather than more features, I would prefer to have them build
          in more capacity.

          à bientôt,

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 14, 2004
            the list Address

            Xenia,
            Longer reply sent directly. If anyone else is interested in the issues of
            FTM to Legacy transfers, please contact me directly. Legacy 5 Deluxe is
            missing several tools that I need for a Nova Scotia file with more than
            three dozen intermarriages and less than 6000 names. -- Elizabeth