Re: Family Tree Maker

  • Wendy Hamilton
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 14, 2004
      the list Address

      Hi Xenia

      I have FTM 10. To get the number of individuals in a file, I go to Help,
      Family File Statistics (or Alt +F1). You also get other statistics like
      number of marriages, average life span, etc. You can also calculate total
      number of different surnames.

      Hope this is the same in version 9.

      Regards,

      Wendy

      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 14, 2004
        the list Address

        Thanks Alan and Wendy!

        Works like a charm.

        Don't know why I couldn't find it myself!

        Xenia

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 14, 2004
          the list Address

          Besides Help showing individuals in a FTM file, Custom Reports can be used
          to count how many individuals with data in a particular field, how many
          specific date or location fields are empty, number of descendants with or
          without including spouses, how many individuals have a specific word
          (location) mentioned in "any and all text fields."

          I'll check my collection to see if there was a handout on the subject of
          custom reports for the FTM user group meetings. Many people use FTM for
          years without learning to create custom reports or direct line charts
          (with/without siblings.)

          FTM 2005 was announced at the end of July 2004.
          http://www.familytreemaker.com has an online order form and registered FTM
          11 were contacted if they permitted e-mail from genealogy.com which is now
          part of myfamily.com Shipping expected to start August 17 from Utah.

          Major change in the look of the family page and a new pedigree view. The
          official FTM TECH mailing list has a customer's report about successful
          upgrade to SP 2, the new Windows XP. -- Elizabeth

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 14, 2004
            the list Address

            Thanks Elisabeth.

            I use all report, etc. features under Views, Contents, Format and other pull
            down menus to customize reports, on a regular basis. I looked under Help in
            version 8 but I did not see the Family Status so I must not have checked
            under version 9 or else I am blind!

            I have ordered both FTM 2005 and the latest version of Legacy Family Tree. I
            will be interested to see if FTM 2005 will allow me to have more than 38,631
            kb - which is 20,000 plus individuals using nearly all fields except
            scrapbook. I removed the scrapbook items to try to expand the number of
            people but I have extensive notes, sources and other fields I created,
            especially in my French lines where I enter "dit" names, French spellings,
            baptism dates/places, marriage contracts and marriage dispensations where
            known. As well there are very few in my French file that do not have
            multiple marriages. Only those women who married and died in childbirth seem
            to be the only ones who did not have multiple marriages. Since the widows
            often married widowers and in-laws sometimes married other non-blood related
            in-laws, the file is one complicated web!

            Splitting files and/or losing data is a pain in FTM. I'm hoping 2005 will
            overcome that. Rather than more features, I would prefer to have them build
            in more capacity.

            à bientôt,

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 14, 2004
              the list Address

              Xenia,
              Longer reply sent directly. If anyone else is interested in the issues of
              FTM to Legacy transfers, please contact me directly. Legacy 5 Deluxe is
              missing several tools that I need for a Nova Scotia file with more than
              three dozen intermarriages and less than 6000 names. -- Elizabeth