Re: Family Tree Maker

  • Wendy Hamilton
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 14 1:04 PM
      the list Address

      Hi Xenia

      I have FTM 10. To get the number of individuals in a file, I go to Help,
      Family File Statistics (or Alt +F1). You also get other statistics like
      number of marriages, average life span, etc. You can also calculate total
      number of different surnames.

      Hope this is the same in version 9.

      Regards,

      Wendy

      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 14 1:17 PM
        the list Address

        Hi Xenia;

        When you open Family Tree Maker, on the toolbar, open <Help>, then from the drop
        down menu, select <Family File Status>. It will tell you the number of
        individuals in that particular file.

        Al

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 14 1:58 PM
          the list Address

          Thanks Alan and Wendy!

          Works like a charm.

          Don't know why I couldn't find it myself!

          Xenia Stanford wrote:

          > the list Address
          >
          > Hi all,
          >
          > I am compiling a family history book using Family Tree Maker version 9 for
          > client, who asked me how many names he has in his file.
          >
          > I have looked through the manual and the help files - no where does it
          show
          > where you can find a count of the number of people, though one would think
          > there is some feature that does because after entering a certain (round)
          > number of people the program says "Congratulations, you have now entered
          > individuals. Do you want to submit them to World Family Tree".
          >
          > Are any of the FTM experts on this list able to tell me how to obtain a
          > count of individuals without going through the index of individuals and
          > manually counting?
          >
          > Xenia Stanford (president@...)
          > Column: "Nos Racines Francaise" http://globalgenealogy.com/globalgazette
          > Local genealogy book sales, professional research & writing:
          > http://www.knowmap.com/age/
          > Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564
          > Call to find out the next free sessions of "Scrapbooking Made Easy"
          >
          > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
          >
          > http://www.family-roots.ca

        • E.Rodier
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 14 2:16 PM
            the list Address

            Besides Help showing individuals in a FTM file, Custom Reports can be used
            to count how many individuals with data in a particular field, how many
            specific date or location fields are empty, number of descendants with or
            without including spouses, how many individuals have a specific word
            (location) mentioned in "any and all text fields."

            I'll check my collection to see if there was a handout on the subject of
            custom reports for the FTM user group meetings. Many people use FTM for
            years without learning to create custom reports or direct line charts
            (with/without siblings.)

            FTM 2005 was announced at the end of July 2004.
            http://www.familytreemaker.com has an online order form and registered FTM
            11 were contacted if they permitted e-mail from genealogy.com which is now
            part of myfamily.com Shipping expected to start August 17 from Utah.

            Major change in the look of the family page and a new pedigree view. The
            official FTM TECH mailing list has a customer's report about successful
            upgrade to SP 2, the new Windows XP. -- Elizabeth

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 14 4:44 PM
              the list Address

              Thanks Elisabeth.

              I use all report, etc. features under Views, Contents, Format and other pull
              down menus to customize reports, on a regular basis. I looked under Help in
              version 8 but I did not see the Family Status so I must not have checked
              under version 9 or else I am blind!

              I have ordered both FTM 2005 and the latest version of Legacy Family Tree. I
              will be interested to see if FTM 2005 will allow me to have more than 38,631
              kb - which is 20,000 plus individuals using nearly all fields except
              scrapbook. I removed the scrapbook items to try to expand the number of
              people but I have extensive notes, sources and other fields I created,
              especially in my French lines where I enter "dit" names, French spellings,
              baptism dates/places, marriage contracts and marriage dispensations where
              known. As well there are very few in my French file that do not have
              multiple marriages. Only those women who married and died in childbirth seem
              to be the only ones who did not have multiple marriages. Since the widows
              often married widowers and in-laws sometimes married other non-blood related
              in-laws, the file is one complicated web!

              Splitting files and/or losing data is a pain in FTM. I'm hoping 2005 will
              overcome that. Rather than more features, I would prefer to have them build
              in more capacity.

              à bientôt,

              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 14 7:39 PM
                the list Address

                Xenia,
                Longer reply sent directly. If anyone else is interested in the issues of
                FTM to Legacy transfers, please contact me directly. Legacy 5 Deluxe is
                missing several tools that I need for a Nova Scotia file with more than
                three dozen intermarriages and less than 6000 names. -- Elizabeth