Family Tree Maker

    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 14 12:52 PM
      the list Address

      Hi all,

      I am compiling a family history book using Family Tree Maker version 9 for a
      client, who asked me how many names he has in his file.

      I have looked through the manual and the help files - no where does it show
      where you can find a count of the number of people, though one would think
      there is some feature that does because after entering a certain (round)
      number of people the program says "Congratulations, you have now entered ...
      individuals. Do you want to submit them to World Family Tree".

      Are any of the FTM experts on this list able to tell me how to obtain a
      count of individuals without going through the index of individuals and
      manually counting?

      http://www.knowmap.com/age/
      Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564
      Call to find out the next free sessions of "Scrapbooking Made Easy"

    • Wendy Hamilton
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 14 1:04 PM
        the list Address

        Hi Xenia

        I have FTM 10. To get the number of individuals in a file, I go to Help,
        Family File Statistics (or Alt +F1). You also get other statistics like
        number of marriages, average life span, etc. You can also calculate total
        number of different surnames.

        Hope this is the same in version 9.

        Regards,

        Wendy

        > I am compiling a family history book using Family Tree Maker version 9 for
        > client, who asked me how many names he has in his file.
        >
        > I have looked through the manual and the help files - no where does it
        show
        > where you can find a count of the number of people, though one would think
        > there is some feature that does because after entering a certain (round)
        > number of people the program says "Congratulations, you have now entered
        > individuals. Do you want to submit them to World Family Tree".
        >
        > Are any of the FTM experts on this list able to tell me how to obtain a
        > count of individuals without going through the index of individuals and
        > manually counting?
        >
        > Xenia Stanford (president@...)
        > Column: "Nos Racines Francaise" http://globalgenealogy.com/globalgazette
        > Local genealogy book sales, professional research & writing:
        > http://www.knowmap.com/age/
        > Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564
        > Call to find out the next free sessions of "Scrapbooking Made Easy"
        >

        > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
        >
        > http://www.family-roots.ca

      • Alan Muise-Benner
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 14 1:17 PM
          the list Address

          Hi Xenia;

          When you open Family Tree Maker, on the toolbar, open <Help>, then from the drop
          down menu, select <Family File Status>. It will tell you the number of
          individuals in that particular file.

          Al

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 14 1:58 PM
            the list Address

            Thanks Alan and Wendy!

            Works like a charm.

            Don't know why I couldn't find it myself!

            Xenia Stanford wrote:

            > the list Address
            >
            > Hi all,
            >
            > I am compiling a family history book using Family Tree Maker version 9 for
            > client, who asked me how many names he has in his file.
            >
            > I have looked through the manual and the help files - no where does it
            show
            > where you can find a count of the number of people, though one would think
            > there is some feature that does because after entering a certain (round)
            > number of people the program says "Congratulations, you have now entered
            > individuals. Do you want to submit them to World Family Tree".
            >
            > Are any of the FTM experts on this list able to tell me how to obtain a
            > count of individuals without going through the index of individuals and
            > manually counting?
            >
            > Xenia Stanford (president@...)
            > Column: "Nos Racines Francaise" http://globalgenealogy.com/globalgazette
            > Local genealogy book sales, professional research & writing:
            > http://www.knowmap.com/age/
            > Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564
            > Call to find out the next free sessions of "Scrapbooking Made Easy"
            >
            > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
            >
            > http://www.family-roots.ca

          • E.Rodier
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 14 2:16 PM
              the list Address

              Besides Help showing individuals in a FTM file, Custom Reports can be used
              to count how many individuals with data in a particular field, how many
              specific date or location fields are empty, number of descendants with or
              without including spouses, how many individuals have a specific word
              (location) mentioned in "any and all text fields."

              I'll check my collection to see if there was a handout on the subject of
              custom reports for the FTM user group meetings. Many people use FTM for
              years without learning to create custom reports or direct line charts
              (with/without siblings.)

              FTM 2005 was announced at the end of July 2004.
              http://www.familytreemaker.com has an online order form and registered FTM
              11 were contacted if they permitted e-mail from genealogy.com which is now
              part of myfamily.com Shipping expected to start August 17 from Utah.

              Major change in the look of the family page and a new pedigree view. The
              official FTM TECH mailing list has a customer's report about successful
              upgrade to SP 2, the new Windows XP. -- Elizabeth

              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 14 4:44 PM
                the list Address

                Thanks Elisabeth.

                I use all report, etc. features under Views, Contents, Format and other pull
                down menus to customize reports, on a regular basis. I looked under Help in
                version 8 but I did not see the Family Status so I must not have checked
                under version 9 or else I am blind!

                I have ordered both FTM 2005 and the latest version of Legacy Family Tree. I
                will be interested to see if FTM 2005 will allow me to have more than 38,631
                kb - which is 20,000 plus individuals using nearly all fields except
                scrapbook. I removed the scrapbook items to try to expand the number of
                people but I have extensive notes, sources and other fields I created,
                especially in my French lines where I enter "dit" names, French spellings,
                baptism dates/places, marriage contracts and marriage dispensations where
                known. As well there are very few in my French file that do not have
                multiple marriages. Only those women who married and died in childbirth seem
                to be the only ones who did not have multiple marriages. Since the widows
                often married widowers and in-laws sometimes married other non-blood related
                in-laws, the file is one complicated web!

                Splitting files and/or losing data is a pain in FTM. I'm hoping 2005 will
                overcome that. Rather than more features, I would prefer to have them build
                in more capacity.

                à bientôt,

                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 14 7:39 PM
                  the list Address

                  Xenia,
                  Longer reply sent directly. If anyone else is interested in the issues of
                  FTM to Legacy transfers, please contact me directly. Legacy 5 Deluxe is
                  missing several tools that I need for a Nova Scotia file with more than
                  three dozen intermarriages and less than 6000 names. -- Elizabeth