Re: 1901 Census mistakes

  • John Doyle
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 22, 2002
      Dear Rene,

      I read this message with great interest. I think I understand the
      misspellings as handwriting can be hard to decipher IF YOU AREN'T CLUED IN
      TO THE NAME. When we read microfilmed censuses, we easily "forgive" a
      misspelled name of ancestors because we know they are the ones we are
      looking for - right place, right ages, almost right names, etc. Our
      wonderful brains compensate and make the leap.

      Searching by computer allows no such leaps, although the wild cards help a
      little bit. I have had an Albert transcribed as Robert; it took a lot of
      perseverance to ferret that out. I have had Shottons transcribed as
      Sholtons, and Hirsts as Hursts.

      One method I have learned that might help everyone find family members who
      moved around depends on knowing the birthplace (I suppose it wouldn't work
      for really common names). I searched on a surname and a birthplace, and I
      found people still in the birthplace in Staffordshire, and brothers in
      London, Wales, Lancashire and Yorkshire. You don't have to be stuck in one
      county.

      Still, the mistakes are frustrating and time consuming,

      Judith Doyle