RE: Emblems found at Queen's Park

    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 6, 2004
      the list Address

      RCIA stands for Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults - the spiritual
      journey a person over age of 7 takes to learn more about the Catholic faith
      and to receive the initial sacraments of baptism, eucharist, confirmation.
      The person could be converting to Catholicism or have been baptised but have
      fallen away from the church sonot received confirmation or eucharist (Holy
      Communion).

      The clasped hands are "praying hands" to show servitude to God or "servants
      of Christ".
      The 5 pointed star with RCIA on 4 points is more of a mystery to me right
      now. If there were 5 sacraments, then I would guess he/she had achieved 4 of
      them by the time of death but the RCIA program revolves around the first 3.

      In Catholic symbols in the U.S. there is the 5-pointed blue star used on the
      Blue Star Service Banner to signify that the person served in the U.S. Armed
      Forces. It is based on the 5-star flag of 1926 hoisted by War Mothers then
      and every Veterans Day since at 11 minutes after 11 o’clock and flown until
      sundown beneath the American Flag to honor the millions of Americans killed
      in action during WW I and WW II.

      Also Boy Scouts of America has a Catholic division in which they can receive
      religious emblems by completing certain programs but I don't know if any
      have the 5 pointed star. The boy can earn the highest rank of Star Scout but
      again I don't know if that symbol would be associated with it.

      I emailed a Catholic Boy Scout leader in the U.S. to see if she can
      enlighten us any further on this one.

      à bientôt,

      http://www.knowmap.com/age/
      Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564
      Call to find out the next free sessions of "Scrapbooking Made Easy"
      August 12 & 15 we will be making gift coasters - call for futher
      information.

      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 6, 2004
        the list Address

        This one is easy:

        Clan Ross Armorial

        Motto: Spem successus alit - "Success nourishes hope".
        Badge: A hand holding a laurel wreath.
        Badge: Juniper

        Check photo at this site http://perso.b2b2c.ca/sdelorme/armoiries.htm
        Sorry - couldn't find one in English but sure there is one out there.

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 6, 2004
          the list Address

          Clan Ross Association of Canada has emblem/armorial on this page
          http://www.greatclanross.org/cra~can3.html

          Stampin' Up Demonstrator: 1001886
          http://www.stampinup.com
          Call or Email for the next free sessions of "Scrapbooking 101"
          Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564
          August 12 & 15 we will be making gift coaster sets - call for futher
          information.

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 6, 2004
            the list Address

            a maple leaf in the middle with initials AW on the left side of the maple
            leaf and BA on the right side of the maple leaf." I believe it is a military
            insignia and I will email my friend who is a military historian to see if he
            can shed light on it.

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 7, 2004
              the list Address

              The maple leaf with AW on the left side and BA on the right side is an
              emblem on the marker for Joan Fletcher, 1921 - 1994. Her husband, Russell
              Fletcher, is mentioned on the same marker with the dates of 1923 and blank
              which indicate he has not yet passed away. The military General Service
              emblem is under his name. The inscription included "Married Nov. 17 1945 in
              London, England".

              It has been suggested that the above emblem (AW BA) may be Alberta War
              Brides Association.

              Lynda