1901 English Census

  • Rene
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 21 8:44 PM
      Hello:

      If you have accessed the 1901 census you may have found that there are
      many transcription errors.

      This is a message I received from a friend in England:

      > I have been using the 1901 census for about 3 months now. It was available in London at the FRC before it went onto the web temporarily. I filled in that many mistake forms in my alotted hour in London one day that the supervisor came to see me. He asked if I would like to see the representative of the contracting firm who did the work on the census to see if I could get a refund on my voucher money. I waited and spoke to the rep but he said that because I had seen what I wanted he could not make any refund, so I enquired about a refund for time wasted searching and he just laughed at me and walked away. I have not finished yet; every time I go to London I will fill the same fault forms in until I get some response or they correct the mistakes.

      (Rene: I understand that all the errors are going to be corrected at a
      later date. I believe that January 2003 was mentioned.)

      he replied:

      > Lots of misspellings i.e. 50% of the Grunwells are down as Greenwells; husband's and wife's names spelt differently, even though the wife's name had "do" at the side of it. One person was shown as born in Ecclesfield, and the image clearly stated born in Germany. All these add up to time wasted trying to hunt for people.

      We have to be very inventive when searching for some of our missing
      ancestors.

      Initially, I could not find my first husband's family. The last name was
      Tunstall and when I eventually found it I discovered that it had been
      transcribed as Timstall. There is no way I could have found that using a
      wildcard because a wildcard must be preceded by at least two characters.

      In hindsight I suppose I could have tried Ta* Te* Ti* To* and Tu* but
      this type of search did not occur to me.

      The way I found the family in the end was to do a search using the given
      name only, not the surname. To do this you have to show given name, sex,
      age (you can use +/-), and place of birth.

      Best of luck with your searches!

      Rene Dussome
    • Rene
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 30 9:47 AM
        Hi:

        I sent the following message on September 28th:

        > There have been lots of messages coming through the UK-1901-CENSUS
        mailing list recently about transcription errors. This one arrived this
        morning from:

        John Holden <john.holden3@...>

        " . . . as a result of the problems with the 1901, the PRO will
        not now put any more censuses on line. They have instead, licensed the
        whole lot to Ancestry.com as a way of fulfilling their promise. That has
        to be an improvement doesn't it? Access virtually restricted to those
        with credit cards. No free index. Probably no facility to correct
        transcription errors."

        It has been pointed out to me that people reading this message may think
        it refers to the 1901 census. It does not. The 1901 census is online and
        we hope it will stay on line. The PRO and Qinetiq need to make lots of
        money to recoup their investment.

        Please read the second line of John Holden's message carefully; ". . .
        any more censuses . . ." are the operative words.

        The PRO had promised to put the censuses for 1841 to 1891 online in a
        similar fashion to the 1901 census. It now appears that because of all
        the transcription errors (and the resulting complaints) they have
        decided not to proceed with online versions for earlier censuses.
        Instead, John Holden says they have licensed the project to
        Ancestry.com.

        No official announcement has been made to this effect.

        * * *

        Users of the 1901 online census will know that it is not available from
        late Saturday evening to Monday morning (GMT). Yesterday I tried to get
        in "through the back door" (using the https address) but it appears that
        the door has been closed!

        Rene Dussome
      • John Doyle
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 30 11:48 AM
          Dear Rene,

          All I can say is I am glad I have been able to find 99% of my people in the
          1901 census index without TOO much trouble, although errors abound.

          Glad too that the other censuses are available on film. I have availed
          myself of most of the ones that apply to my people.

          I think the PRO got into something too big for them to handle. I don't see
          how they are going to make that much money from the 1901, as the index, if
          you know how to fiddle with it, gives you just about everything you need to
          find out. They should have contacted the "experts". That would have cost
          them nothing, or am I wrong on that?

          Judith Doyle, the appalled

          > I sent the following message on September 28th:
          >
          > > There have been lots of messages coming through the UK-1901-CENSUS
          > mailing list recently about transcription errors. This one arrived this
          > morning from:
          >
          > John Holden <john.holden3@...>
          >
          > " . . . as a result of the problems with the 1901, the PRO will
          > not now put any more censuses on line. They have instead, licensed the
          > whole lot to Ancestry.com as a way of fulfilling their promise. That has
          > to be an improvement doesn't it? Access virtually restricted to those
          > with credit cards. No free index. Probably no facility to correct
          > transcription errors."
          >
          > It has been pointed out to me that people reading this message may think
          > it refers to the 1901 census. It does not. The 1901 census is online and
          > we hope it will stay on line. The PRO and Qinetiq need to make lots of
          > money to recoup their investment.
          >
          > Please read the second line of John Holden's message carefully; ". . .
          > any more censuses . . ." are the operative words.
          >
          > The PRO had promised to put the censuses for 1841 to 1891 online in a
          > similar fashion to the 1901 census. It now appears that because of all
          > the transcription errors (and the resulting complaints) they have
          > decided not to proceed with online versions for earlier censuses.
          > Instead, John Holden says they have licensed the project to
          > Ancestry.com.
          >
          > No official announcement has been made to this effect.
          >
          > * * *
          >
          > Users of the 1901 online census will know that it is not available from
          > late Saturday evening to Monday morning (GMT). Yesterday I tried to get
          > in "through the back door" (using the https address) but it appears that
          > the door has been closed!
          >
          > Rene Dussome
          > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
          > http://www.family-roots.ca

        • Carol Lee
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 30 3:46 PM
            Perhaps it may help to know that all of the Ancestry.com site is available
            at the Family History Centre. It costs $1.00/hr to use the internet.
            Ancestry has made its complete site available to all Family History Centres
            at no cost to the Centres. The $1.00 is for the ADSL charges we have to pay
            for our computers.

            Carol Lee