Emblems found at Queen's Park

  • lynda1alderman@telus.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 5, 2004
      the list Address

      We came across three emblems/symbols on markers today we haven't seen before
      and wonder if anyone can explain them to us.

      First one is a five pointed star, with a pair of clasped hands in the
      middle, and the initials RCIA on four of the five points.

      Another is a circle with a maple leaf in the middle with initials AW on the
      left side of the maple leaf and BA on the right side of the maple leaf.

      Third is a circle, in the middle is a hand holding a laurel wreath, and the
      words SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT around inside in the circle. Two objects appear
      to be dangling off the circle, perhaps a treble clef and the other not
      recognizable. I wonder if this might be a family crest.

      Lynda

    • Carol Lylyk
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 5, 2004
        the list Address

        The third emblem is the Badge of the Clan Ross - http://barney.gonzaga.edu/~jmullen/SelkirkCelts/PipeMjr.htm

        Google gave several sites for AWBA - one of them being American Wheelchair Bowling Association, and RCIA came up with
        Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults, a Catholic organization but it was only one site of 138,000 (which I didn't
        bother looking at).

        Carol Lylyk

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 6, 2004
          the list Address

          RCIA stands for Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults - the spiritual
          journey a person over age of 7 takes to learn more about the Catholic faith
          and to receive the initial sacraments of baptism, eucharist, confirmation.
          The person could be converting to Catholicism or have been baptised but have
          fallen away from the church sonot received confirmation or eucharist (Holy
          Communion).

          The clasped hands are "praying hands" to show servitude to God or "servants
          of Christ".
          The 5 pointed star with RCIA on 4 points is more of a mystery to me right
          now. If there were 5 sacraments, then I would guess he/she had achieved 4 of
          them by the time of death but the RCIA program revolves around the first 3.

          In Catholic symbols in the U.S. there is the 5-pointed blue star used on the
          Blue Star Service Banner to signify that the person served in the U.S. Armed
          Forces. It is based on the 5-star flag of 1926 hoisted by War Mothers then
          and every Veterans Day since at 11 minutes after 11 o’clock and flown until
          sundown beneath the American Flag to honor the millions of Americans killed
          in action during WW I and WW II.

          Also Boy Scouts of America has a Catholic division in which they can receive
          religious emblems by completing certain programs but I don't know if any
          have the 5 pointed star. The boy can earn the highest rank of Star Scout but
          again I don't know if that symbol would be associated with it.

          I emailed a Catholic Boy Scout leader in the U.S. to see if she can
          enlighten us any further on this one.

          à bientôt,

          http://www.knowmap.com/age/
          Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564
          Call to find out the next free sessions of "Scrapbooking Made Easy"
          August 12 & 15 we will be making gift coasters - call for futher
          information.

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 6, 2004
            the list Address

            This one is easy:

            Clan Ross Armorial

            Motto: Spem successus alit - "Success nourishes hope".
            Badge: A hand holding a laurel wreath.
            Badge: Juniper

            Check photo at this site http://perso.b2b2c.ca/sdelorme/armoiries.htm
            Sorry - couldn't find one in English but sure there is one out there.

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 6, 2004
              the list Address

              Clan Ross Association of Canada has emblem/armorial on this page
              http://www.greatclanross.org/cra~can3.html

              Stampin' Up Demonstrator: 1001886
              http://www.stampinup.com
              Call or Email for the next free sessions of "Scrapbooking 101"
              Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564
              August 12 & 15 we will be making gift coaster sets - call for futher
              information.

              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 6, 2004
                the list Address

                a maple leaf in the middle with initials AW on the left side of the maple
                leaf and BA on the right side of the maple leaf." I believe it is a military
                insignia and I will email my friend who is a military historian to see if he
                can shed light on it.

                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 7, 2004
                  the list Address

                  The maple leaf with AW on the left side and BA on the right side is an
                  emblem on the marker for Joan Fletcher, 1921 - 1994. Her husband, Russell
                  Fletcher, is mentioned on the same marker with the dates of 1923 and blank
                  which indicate he has not yet passed away. The military General Service
                  emblem is under his name. The inscription included "Married Nov. 17 1945 in
                  London, England".

                  It has been suggested that the above emblem (AW BA) may be Alberta War
                  Brides Association.

                  Lynda