Family Papers Collection

  • Bill Mumford
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 4, 2004
      the list Address

      In about eight weeks the Family Papers Collection digitizing team from the
      National Genealogical Society will arrive in Calgary. If you are planning
      to take advantage of this wonderful opportunity to have your priceless
      collection of family documents, photographs, etc recorded on a CD at no cost
      to you, now is the time to start preparing them for digitization. In order
      to expedite matters every item to be digitized must be listed on a special
      form prior to making your appointment. These forms plus more information on
      the project are now available on the local Family Papers Collection website.
      A link to this web site is available from the AFHS home page at
      www.afhs.ab.ca , from the Family Roots 2004 web site when it becomes
      available, or you can log on directly at www.mumford.ca/fpc/ .

      The team will be in Calgary for a minimum of two weeks starting on October
      4th. They will be presenting talks at the October 4th meeting of the AFHS,
      at the Genealogical Computer Group (a SIG of the AFHS) meeting on October
      9th and at Family Roots 2004 on October 16th. The October 4th talk will be
      on the Family Papers Collection, the October 9th talk will be more technical
      and focus on the use of cameras and scanners for genealogy. The Family
      Roots talk is part of the seminar program and will be on the use of digital
      cameras and scanners but is structured for the non-techie.

      This visit by the FPC team is a joint presentation by the AFHS and the NGS.
      Volunteers are needed to assist in the actual digitization work, primarily
      in the non technical aspect of the process however volunteers familiar with
      using digital cameras and scanners are most welcome. If you can spare a few
      hours during the day and wish to volunteer or if you have any questions
      concerning the Family Papers Collection, please contact Bill Mumford at
      933-2881 (if no answer leave your phone number on the machine) or by email
      at mumford@...

    • Bill Mumford
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 19, 2004
        the list Address

        In just two short weeks the National Genealogical Society's Family Papers
        Collection team will arrive in Calgary. This is a wonderful opportunity to
        have your family papers and photos recorded in digital form at no cost to
        you. For full details log on to www.afhs.ab.ca or www.family-roots.ca and
        look for the link to the Family Papers Collection.

        The NGS team of Dennis and Carla Ridenour will discuss the Family Papers
        Collection at the next AFHS regular meeting, (October 4th 7:15 PM at the
        Christian Reformed Church, 14a Street and 37th Ave S.W.). They will make
        another presentation on the selection and use of digital cameras at the
        Computer SIG meeting the following Saturday (October 9th, 10:00AM in the
        lounge of the LDS Stake House at 17th Ave and 19a Street S.W) They complete
        the hat trick with a third talk at Family Roots 2004 on "Using Your Camera
        as a Research Assistant". (October 16th, Carriage House Inn, 90th Ave and
        McLeod Trail S.W.) Both of the Ridenours have been featured speakers at
        numerous national genealogical seminars. Dennis recently retired from
        Lucent Technologies and is an expert on the use of digital cameras and the
        creation of multimedia presentations. His wife, Carla, is the former editor
        of the NGS Newsmagazine and currently edits the NGS on line newsletter,
        UpFront. Both are expert genealogists of long standing and have created a
        number of very imaginative multimedia presentations of family data. (Some
        of you might remember "I'm My Own Grandpa" (The Mumford Family Tree) from
        Family Roots 2002.)

        The team has visited Dallas and Oklahoma City in the last few months and
        recorded over 70, 000 digital images of a variety of family papers, photos,
        etc. Calgary is their third stop. The selection of our city was no
        accident. The AFHS has a reputation as a very active group and was
        presented an award for technical excellence in 2000 by the New England
        Historical and Genealogical Society. I'm sure their choice will be
        justified.

        Any questions can be addressed to Bill Mumford at mumford@... or
        phone 933-2881 (leave a message and your phone number on the machine if no
        answer. This is a local call from Calgary.)

      • fredastewart
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 19, 2004
          the list Address

          Hi - just checked my 'book' and I am booked to the digitization work on
          October 7th, Thursday at 10:00 am.
          Freda Stewart
          > In just two short weeks the National Genealogical Society's Family Papers
          > Collection team will arrive in Calgary. This is a wonderful opportunity
          > have your family papers and photos recorded in digital form at no cost to
          > you. For full details log on to www.afhs.ab.ca or www.family-roots.ca and
          > look for the link to the Family Papers Collection.
          >
          > The NGS team of Dennis and Carla Ridenour will discuss the Family Papers
          > Collection at the next AFHS regular meeting, (October 4th 7:15 PM at the
          > Christian Reformed Church, 14a Street and 37th Ave S.W.). They will make
          > another presentation on the selection and use of digital cameras at the
          > Computer SIG meeting the following Saturday (October 9th, 10:00AM in the
          > lounge of the LDS Stake House at 17th Ave and 19a Street S.W) They
          > complete
          > the hat trick with a third talk at Family Roots 2004 on "Using Your Camera
          > as a Research Assistant". (October 16th, Carriage House Inn, 90th Ave and
          > McLeod Trail S.W.) Both of the Ridenours have been featured speakers at
          > numerous national genealogical seminars. Dennis recently retired from
          > Lucent Technologies and is an expert on the use of digital cameras and the
          > creation of multimedia presentations. His wife, Carla, is the former
          > editor
          > of the NGS Newsmagazine and currently edits the NGS on line newsletter,
          > UpFront. Both are expert genealogists of long standing and have created
          > number of very imaginative multimedia presentations of family data. (Some
          > of you might remember "I'm My Own Grandpa" (The Mumford Family Tree) from
          > Family Roots 2002.)
          >
          > The team has visited Dallas and Oklahoma City in the last few months and
          > recorded over 70, 000 digital images of a variety of family papers,
          > photos,
          > etc. Calgary is their third stop. The selection of our city was no
          > accident. The AFHS has a reputation as a very active group and was
          > presented an award for technical excellence in 2000 by the New England
          > Historical and Genealogical Society. I'm sure their choice will be
          > justified.
          >
          > Any questions can be addressed to Bill Mumford at mumford@... or
          > phone 933-2881 (leave a message and your phone number on the machine if no
          > answer. This is a local call from Calgary.)
          >

          > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
          >
          > http://www.family-roots.ca

        • Bill Mumford
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 20, 2004
            the list Address

            A few hours after I posted my last message to this list concerning the
            Family Papers Collection I received a call from a National Genealogical
            Society representative advising me that the newly elected Board of Directors
            had decided to suspend the activities of the FPC mobile unit pending a
            detailed review of the program. The decision takes effect on September
            30th, 2004. The decision to send the mobile unit to Calgary had been
            confirmed at Sacramento in May of this year and, as no contracts were
            deemed necessary, the AFHS and the FPC mobile unit proceeded
            with plans for a Calgary visit. Both the Ridenours, who compose the
            mobile unit, and myself, were more than a little upset by this arbitrary
            decision by the NGS Board and, after a lengthy discussion, decided
            to appeal the decision today. Due to the repercussions this decision
            has on our Family Roots 2004 planning I requested an immediate
            reply to our appeal. None was received.

            I referred the matter to both Gordon Hulbert, the Chair of Family Roots
            2004, and Gordon Lane, Chair of the AFHS. A number of possible options
            have been discussed, including the possibility of funding the visit by the
            mobile unit to Calgary by the AFHS. However, based on confidential
            information that I, as a member of the NGS/GENTECH Advisory Council, am not
            at liberty to publicly disclose, it has been decided to permanently cancel
            the Family Papers Collection visit.

            I would like to thank all those who so graciously volunteered to assist in
            the collection process. To those people who have spent hours searching
            their files for items suitable for digitizing, my sincerest apologies. If
            it is
            any consolation, I too find myself faced with the task of restoring my files
            to their original condition.

            Regretfully

            Bill Mumford

          • Gord Hulbert
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 20, 2004
              the list Address

              Hi Bill:

              I just got home from the Board meeting. I guess Heater Jaremko beat me
              home, because she called before I got home. Her husband is in the
              'digitising business. Her message was, he'd be happy to do Dennis'
              presentation. I know nothing of his qualifications or anything about the
              man himself. There's always Visutek (sp?). Please don't 'give up the ship'
              :).

              Regards,

              Gord Hulbert
              403-240-4636

              Gordon@...

              > A few hours after I posted my last message to this list concerning the
              > Family Papers Collection I received a call from a National Genealogical
              > Society representative advising me that the newly elected Board of
              Directors
              > had decided to suspend the activities of the FPC mobile unit pending a
              > detailed review of the program. The decision takes effect on September
              > 30th, 2004. The decision to send the mobile unit to Calgary had been
              > confirmed at Sacramento in May of this year and, as no contracts were
              > deemed necessary, the AFHS and the FPC mobile unit proceeded
              > with plans for a Calgary visit. Both the Ridenours, who compose the
              > mobile unit, and myself, were more than a little upset by this arbitrary
              > decision by the NGS Board and, after a lengthy discussion, decided
              > to appeal the decision today. Due to the repercussions this decision
              > has on our Family Roots 2004 planning I requested an immediate
              > reply to our appeal. None was received.
              >
              > I referred the matter to both Gordon Hulbert, the Chair of Family Roots
              > 2004, and Gordon Lane, Chair of the AFHS. A number of possible options
              > have been discussed, including the possibility of funding the visit by the
              > mobile unit to Calgary by the AFHS. However, based on confidential
              > information that I, as a member of the NGS/GENTECH Advisory Council, am
              not
              > at liberty to publicly disclose, it has been decided to permanently cancel
              > the Family Papers Collection visit.
              >
              > I would like to thank all those who so graciously volunteered to assist in
              > the collection process. To those people who have spent hours searching
              > their files for items suitable for digitizing, my sincerest apologies. If
              > it is
              > any consolation, I too find myself faced with the task of restoring my
              files
              > to their original condition.
              >
              > Regretfully
              >
              > Bill Mumford
              >

              > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
              >
              > http://www.family-roots.ca

              > $0 Web Hosting with up to 120MB web space, 1000 MB Transfer
              > Signup at www.doteasy.com

            • Donna Coulter
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 20, 2004
                the list Address

                What a dreadful disappointment .

                However all is not lost.---just call me Polly Anna.

                Everyone who gathered their pictures and certificates, everything that they
                intended having scanned and stored. Can now store it on their own CD. Some
                good will come out of all the work you folks did.

                There are those who have already done just that. But many of us have
                procrastinated until now.

                Now is the time. Review those notes that compu-sig speakers gave us and DO
                IT.

                Donna Coulter.

                > A few hours after I posted my last message to this list concerning the
                > Family Papers Collection I received a call from a National Genealogical
                > Society representative advising me that the newly elected Board of
                Directors
                > had decided to suspend the activities of the FPC mobile unit pending a
                > detailed review of the program. The decision takes effect on September
                > 30th, 2004. The decision to send the mobile unit to Calgary had been
                > confirmed at Sacramento in May of this year and, as no contracts were
                > deemed necessary, the AFHS and the FPC mobile unit proceeded
                > with plans for a Calgary visit. Both the Ridenours, who compose the
                > mobile unit, and myself, were more than a little upset by this arbitrary
                > decision by the NGS Board and, after a lengthy discussion, decided
                > to appeal the decision today. Due to the repercussions this decision
                > has on our Family Roots 2004 planning I requested an immediate
                > reply to our appeal. None was received.
                >
                > I referred the matter to both Gordon Hulbert, the Chair of Family Roots
                > 2004, and Gordon Lane, Chair of the AFHS. A number of possible options
                > have been discussed, including the possibility of funding the visit by the
                > mobile unit to Calgary by the AFHS. However, based on confidential
                > information that I, as a member of the NGS/GENTECH Advisory Council, am
                not
                > at liberty to publicly disclose, it has been decided to permanently cancel
                > the Family Papers Collection visit.
                >
                > I would like to thank all those who so graciously volunteered to assist in
                > the collection process. To those people who have spent hours searching
                > their files for items suitable for digitizing, my sincerest apologies. If
                > it is
                > any consolation, I too find myself faced with the task of restoring my
                files
                > to their original condition.
                >
                > Regretfully
                >
                > Bill Mumford
                >

                > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
                >
                > http://www.family-roots.ca

                ---

              • fredastewart
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 21, 2004
                  the list Address

                  Hi Bill - I am sorry for all the work you put into this project, just to
                  have it dumped down the tube. I suppose NGS has their reasons for their last
                  minute cancellation - and perhaps in time they will share those reasons. On
                  the surface of the issue, their actions do make one wonder about their
                  overall motives and credibility. Maybe at this time we are better off out of
                  it. Perhaps we need to look to our own National level for a Canadian data
                  bank - just a thought as I sit here sympathizing with you.
                  Freda Stewart