Re: Lost friend/strange disappearance

  • Leslie
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 31, 2004
      the list Address

      Hi Al,

      I work for the federal government too (and my husband was a Canadian
      diplomat), so I know that your government contact should definitely NOT be
      passing on any information of this sort to you or anyone else (unless
      through the proper channels - which this communication is definitely NOT) or
      initiating contact with a Canadian citizen via this route (he could and
      should be fired for doing so). Let's not be naive here - there could be
      some very good reasons why the Embassy in Lima has not collaborated.

      I am glad you shared this, however, because we all have a desire to help and
      have discovered excellent "finding people" skills through genealogy. We
      have lived in a trusting society for a long time, but things are different
      now. The federal government also has serious laws about Privacy and, as
      public servants, we are bound by these laws and our oaths as public
      servants. Whomever your contact is, (s)he has NO Right to even tell you the
      person EXISTS!!!! We live in a world where some people with different
      values and needs ask for help and we can not always do so, especially when
      we could endanger others. Please tell your government contact not to do
      this and also ask him to read the Privacy Act, re-read his oath, discuss the
      limits of what information he can give out to others who have no need to
      know (you for example) and discuss whether he should do this with his
      supervisor!!!! Very scary!

      Leslie