RE: Lost Friend/Strange Dissapearance

  • Gordon Lane
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 29 8:18 PM
      the list Address

      The policy for searching for living people is stated on

      http://www.afhs.ab.ca/queries/index.html

      And extracted from that page:-

      The mission of AFHS is, in part, to assist and encourage others in family
      history research. If part of your request for family history research
      involves locating descendants of your ancestors, this may be done. However,
      no exchange of addresses will be made without the permission of all parties
      concerned. We will not undertake searches for adoptees, birth parents, or
      living folk. We will, however, advise you of other agencies or individuals
      who may be able to assist.

      It appears to negate itself as it says that we will locate descendants but
      not adoptees, birth parents or living folk.

      The Board will formalize a statement when we meet again to ensure that there
      is no ambiguity in the meaning of such a statement.

      In the meantime please ensure that if you answer such queries you do not do
      it in the name of the Alberta Family Histories Society.

      There could be serious ramifications in tracing someone who does not wish to
      have their whereabouts made known to people; and in the light of privacy
      laws we may be entering an area that we may not want to be in.

      There are professional people who do trace people and I would suggest that
      anyone asking for information as below be directed to such people. Queries
      can be posted to the dist-gen list without being sent to via our query
      volunteers being the originator so please do be cautious.

      Regards

      Gordon Lane
      Chairman
      Alberta Family Histories Society