Lost friend/strange disappearance

  • Al King
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 29, 2004
      the list Address

      Through a contact in the federal government I believe the person's location
      is known.

      I agree with Frank Morrow that the person may not wish to be located and
      therefore I've asked my government contact to 'phone her and establish
      whether she wishes to be found.

      Al King

    • Leslie
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 31, 2004
        the list Address

        Hi Al,

        I work for the federal government too (and my husband was a Canadian
        diplomat), so I know that your government contact should definitely NOT be
        passing on any information of this sort to you or anyone else (unless
        through the proper channels - which this communication is definitely NOT) or
        initiating contact with a Canadian citizen via this route (he could and
        should be fired for doing so). Let's not be naive here - there could be
        some very good reasons why the Embassy in Lima has not collaborated.

        I am glad you shared this, however, because we all have a desire to help and
        have discovered excellent "finding people" skills through genealogy. We
        have lived in a trusting society for a long time, but things are different
        now. The federal government also has serious laws about Privacy and, as
        public servants, we are bound by these laws and our oaths as public
        servants. Whomever your contact is, (s)he has NO Right to even tell you the
        person EXISTS!!!! We live in a world where some people with different
        values and needs ask for help and we can not always do so, especially when
        we could endanger others. Please tell your government contact not to do
        this and also ask him to read the Privacy Act, re-read his oath, discuss the
        limits of what information he can give out to others who have no need to
        know (you for example) and discuss whether he should do this with his
        supervisor!!!! Very scary!

        Leslie