Re: UK Schools History website

  • Rene Dussome
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 27, 2004
      the list Address

      Dear Lorna:

      Thank you so much for pointing us in the direction of this website.

      I have found two schools of interest, both in the West Riding of
      Yorkshire:

      Ackworth School, Pontefract, opened in 1779 and
      West Leeds High School, opened in 1907

      My 3rd great grandfather Stephen Holmes attended the Ackworth School,
      which was a Quaker School, in 1781. There is one superb photo of the
      school on the website.

      West Leeds High School was a 5 minute walk from where I lived and is of
      sentimental interest to me. There are several great photos of the
      school, including a couple of photos showing Charlie Cake Park which was
      across the road, in front of the school. After he retired as a coal
      miner in the 1930s, my maternal grandfather used to spend time in the
      old men's shelter in that park, playing dominoes and cards with the
      other old men.

      Thanks again, Lorna.

      Rene