UK Schools History website

  • Lorna Laughton
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 27 1:03 PM
      Message

      Hi everyone:

      I came across this interesting website, and thought that some of you might be interested as well. According to an article written about it in the Bedfordshire Family History Society Journal, Volume 14, No. 2, June 2003, page 43, this site was originally launched in December 2000, but the site crashed and all data was lost. However, it is now back online at: http://www.ukschoolshistory.org.uk/

      The aim of the site is "to provide family historians with an insight into the education of their ancestors." So it contains information about old schools in the UK, including photographs, extracts from admission records, census records, history of schools, and pre 1970's photos of classes, sports teams, and ex-pupils.

      It is a free site, and relies on donations of material and voluntary work by some of the site users. Although I didn't look at this part, apparently there is a forum for discussions or posting information.

      The mailing address is: UK Schools History Group, c/o 5 Glan Ely Close, Fairwater, Cardiff, Glamorgan, Wales CF5 3EJ. E-mail address is: kimbewick@....

      Any of us might use this site to find info about our ancestors' schools, or to contribute any photos or info about a school in the UK. Another potentially good source for genealogical information and a place to share findings.

      Lorna

    • Rene Dussome
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 27 9:25 PM
        the list Address

        Dear Lorna:

        Thank you so much for pointing us in the direction of this website.

        I have found two schools of interest, both in the West Riding of
        Yorkshire:

        Ackworth School, Pontefract, opened in 1779 and
        West Leeds High School, opened in 1907

        My 3rd great grandfather Stephen Holmes attended the Ackworth School,
        which was a Quaker School, in 1781. There is one superb photo of the
        school on the website.

        West Leeds High School was a 5 minute walk from where I lived and is of
        sentimental interest to me. There are several great photos of the
        school, including a couple of photos showing Charlie Cake Park which was
        across the road, in front of the school. After he retired as a coal
        miner in the 1930s, my maternal grandfather used to spend time in the
        old men's shelter in that park, playing dominoes and cards with the
        other old men.

        Thanks again, Lorna.

        Rene