Queen's Park Cemetery

  • lynda1alderman@telus.net
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 25, 2004
      the list Address

      Hi

      Next session is Thursday, July 29th. Meet at 10 am at the Mausoleum. We'll
      be starting Section S, flats unfortunately, but after that we do T, V. W
      which have lots of uprights.

      I want to make mention of those of you who come out week after week and do
      such marvelous work: Linda, Colleen, Lorna, Eleanor, Jean, Bill, Kay,
      Spencer, Judie, Kay and Glenn Clark, Heather J., Heather W., Wayne, and
      Carol Lylyk who has rejoined us after surgery.

      See you on Thursday. Newcomers would be very welcome.

      Lynda, for the projects committee

    • lynda1alderman@telus.net
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 27 7:49 PM
        the list Address

        We are proud to announce the recording and photographing of the markers in
        Queen's Park Cemetery has been completed...two summers of work by a
        dedicated band of volunteers. There are over 55,000 burials in this
        cemetery.

        This is the first stage of the work....creating a database of the recordings
        and adding the burial records and the photographs is even more time
        consuming, especially the painstaking work of proof-reading all entries at
        least twice. That work will continue over the winter and likely into next
        summer. (If you have a few hours to donate, reply to this message and join
        the data entry team.)

        The first 6 sections of Queen's Park (A to F) are indexed on the AFHS
        website. The Jewish section is also available on the website.

        Thank you to these recorders and photographers for a job cheerfully and well
        done: (data entry volunteers will be mentioned at a later date): Spencer
        Field, Heather Jaremko, Carol Lylyk, Judie Riddell, Bill Logan, Janice
        Armstrong, Wayne McKenzie, Heather Williams, Marion Firman, Colleen
        Hauswirth, Linda Holdaway, Lorna Theroux, Marlene Knott, Kay and Glenn
        Clarke, Eleanora Wilson, Jean Carter, Kay Jamieson and Mandolin, Susan
        Snowdon, Gary Manthorne, Louise Pennenbecker, Marlene Roy, Allison Horwood,
        Eloise Wigglesworth.

        Lynda, for the Projects Committee

      • Don Noble
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 27 8:46 PM
          the list Address

          Hello Lynda,

          I'd be happy to help with the data entry for the Queen's Park Cemetery
          project. I haven't yet joined AFHS, but that's the plan as soon as I can
          free some time to get to a meeting.

          Don Noble
          Calgary

        • Lynda Alderman
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 27 9:09 PM
            the list Address

            Don

            Good to hear from you

            I'm going to be away for the next few days but will be in touch with you as
            soon as I get back.

            Lynda
            > I'd be happy to help with the data entry for the Queen's Park Cemetery
            > project. I haven't yet joined AFHS, but that's the plan as soon as I can
            > free some time to get to a meeting.
            >
            > Don Noble
            > Calgary
            >

            > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
            >
            > http://www.family-roots.ca

          • Leslie
            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 27 9:29 PM
              the list Address

              This is a huge accomplishment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congratulations. I hope
              you also have noted unmarked graves there as well, as my family were pioneer
              Albertans (tombstones were expensive when they died after the agricultural
              problems of the 1930's and I have not had time to mark their existence, even
              though they are all on file at the Cemetery), so I would love to add what I
              found about them if they are not there on your lists.

              My grandmother and grandfather who are in the 1891 AB census are buried
              there as well as my great uncle born in 1901. I am looking forward to
              hearing how you will publish this data.

              Leslie

              > We are proud to announce the recording and photographing of the markers in
              > Queen's Park Cemetery has been completed...two summers of work by a
              > dedicated band of volunteers. There are over 55,000 burials in this
              > cemetery.
              >
              > This is the first stage of the work....creating a database of the
              recordings
              > and adding the burial records and the photographs is even more time
              > consuming, especially the painstaking work of proof-reading all entries at
              > least twice. That work will continue over the winter and likely into next
              > summer. (If you have a few hours to donate, reply to this message and join
              > the data entry team.)
              >
              > The first 6 sections of Queen's Park (A to F) are indexed on the AFHS
              > website. The Jewish section is also available on the website.
              >
              > Thank you to these recorders and photographers for a job cheerfully and
              well
              > done: (data entry volunteers will be mentioned at a later date): Spencer
              > Field, Heather Jaremko, Carol Lylyk, Judie Riddell, Bill Logan, Janice
              > Armstrong, Wayne McKenzie, Heather Williams, Marion Firman, Colleen
              > Hauswirth, Linda Holdaway, Lorna Theroux, Marlene Knott, Kay and Glenn
              > Clarke, Eleanora Wilson, Jean Carter, Kay Jamieson and Mandolin, Susan
              > Snowdon, Gary Manthorne, Louise Pennenbecker, Marlene Roy, Allison
              Horwood,
              > Eloise Wigglesworth.
              >
              > Lynda, for the Projects Committee
              >

              > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
              >
              > http://www.family-roots.ca

            • Joanne
              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 28 6:51 AM
                the list Address

                Hello,

                I also have names, dates and locations of some relatives that are buried at
                Queen's Park Cemetery and do not have a tombstone.

                Please let me know if you need these.

                Joanne Elford

                > This is a huge accomplishment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congratulations. I hope
                > you also have noted unmarked graves there as well, as my family were
                > pioneer
                > Albertans (tombstones were expensive when they died after the agricultural
                > problems of the 1930's and I have not had time to mark their existence,
                > even
                > though they are all on file at the Cemetery), so I would love to add what
                > found about them if they are not there on your lists.
                >
                > My grandmother and grandfather who are in the 1891 AB census are buried
                > there as well as my great uncle born in 1901. I am looking forward to
                > hearing how you will publish this data.
                >
                > Leslie

              • fredastewart
                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 28 7:45 AM
                  the list Address

                  Hi Lynda - what does data entry and checking entail? I will be glad to help
                  if I can do so, depending on what it is you need.
                  Freda Stewart
                  > We are proud to announce the recording and photographing of the markers in
                  > Queen's Park Cemetery has been completed...two summers of work by a
                  > dedicated band of volunteers. There are over 55,000 burials in this
                  > cemetery.
                  >
                  > This is the first stage of the work....creating a database of the
                  > recordings
                  > and adding the burial records and the photographs is even more time
                  > consuming, especially the painstaking work of proof-reading all entries at
                  > least twice. That work will continue over the winter and likely into next
                  > summer. (If you have a few hours to donate, reply to this message and join
                  > the data entry team.)
                  >
                  > The first 6 sections of Queen's Park (A to F) are indexed on the AFHS
                  > website. The Jewish section is also available on the website.
                  >
                  > Thank you to these recorders and photographers for a job cheerfully and
                  > well
                  > done: (data entry volunteers will be mentioned at a later date): Spencer
                  > Field, Heather Jaremko, Carol Lylyk, Judie Riddell, Bill Logan, Janice
                  > Armstrong, Wayne McKenzie, Heather Williams, Marion Firman, Colleen
                  > Hauswirth, Linda Holdaway, Lorna Theroux, Marlene Knott, Kay and Glenn
                  > Clarke, Eleanora Wilson, Jean Carter, Kay Jamieson and Mandolin, Susan
                  > Snowdon, Gary Manthorne, Louise Pennenbecker, Marlene Roy, Allison
                  > Horwood,
                  > Eloise Wigglesworth.
                  >
                  > Lynda, for the Projects Committee
                  >

                  > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
                  >
                  > http://www.family-roots.ca

                • The Kashubas
                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 28 7:52 AM
                    the list Address

                    >Hello Lynda,

                    I too have an uncle buried in Queen's Park who is without a marker. I have
                    the details on him.

                    Kathy Kashuba

                  • Jim & Lorna Stewart
                    Message 9 of 17 , Sep 28 8:45 AM
                      the list Address

                      Hi Lynda..........I would be glad to help with data entry
                      again..........Lorna Stewart

                      > We are proud to announce the recording and photographing of the markers in
                      > Queen's Park Cemetery has been completed...two summers of work by a
                      > dedicated band of volunteers. There are over 55,000 burials in this
                      > cemetery.
                      >
                      > This is the first stage of the work....creating a database of the
                      > recordings
                      > and adding the burial records and the photographs is even more time
                      > consuming, especially the painstaking work of proof-reading all entries at
                      > least twice. That work will continue over the winter and likely into next
                      > summer. (If you have a few hours to donate, reply to this message and join
                      > the data entry team.)
                      >
                      > The first 6 sections of Queen's Park (A to F) are indexed on the AFHS
                      > website. The Jewish section is also available on the website.
                      >
                      > Thank you to these recorders and photographers for a job cheerfully and
                      > well
                      > done: (data entry volunteers will be mentioned at a later date): Spencer
                      > Field, Heather Jaremko, Carol Lylyk, Judie Riddell, Bill Logan, Janice
                      > Armstrong, Wayne McKenzie, Heather Williams, Marion Firman, Colleen
                      > Hauswirth, Linda Holdaway, Lorna Theroux, Marlene Knott, Kay and Glenn
                      > Clarke, Eleanora Wilson, Jean Carter, Kay Jamieson and Mandolin, Susan
                      > Snowdon, Gary Manthorne, Louise Pennenbecker, Marlene Roy, Allison
                      > Horwood,
                      > Eloise Wigglesworth.
                      >
                      > Lynda, for the Projects Committee
                      >

                      > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
                      >
                      > http://www.family-roots.ca

                    • Larry McCool
                      Message 10 of 17 , Sep 28 9:42 AM
                        the list Address

                        Don -- Will you please contact me directly using
                        the email address shown below. This is in regards to the surname Noble

                        Larry

                        Larry & Doreen McCool
                        Calgary, AB Canada
                        Our new address is
                        mccoollh@...
                        Our website is now at

                        > I'd be happy to help with the data entry for the Queen's Park Cemetery
                        > project. I haven't yet joined AFHS, but that's the plan as soon as I can
                        > free some time to get to a meeting.
                        >
                        > Don Noble
                        > Calgary
                        >

                        > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
                        >
                        > http://www.family-roots.ca

                      • Marlene Knott
                        Message 11 of 17 , Sep 28 10:16 AM
                          the list Address

                          Lynda

                          And a BIG thank you to you for organizing the crew, arranging for mostly
                          good weather and keeping everyone in good spirits (no pun intended!)
                          with the thought that the end of recording that huge cemetery was in
                          sight. It was a fantastic job!!
                          Marlene

                          On Monday, September 27, 2004, at 08:49 PM, <lynda1alderman@...>
                          wrote:

                          > the list Address
                          >
                          > We are proud to announce the recording and photographing of the markers
                          > in
                          > Queen's Park Cemetery has been completed...two summers of work by a
                          > dedicated band of volunteers. There are over 55,000 burials in this
                          > cemetery.
                          >
                          > This is the first stage of the work....creating a database of the
                          > recordings
                          > and adding the burial records and the photographs is even more time
                          > consuming, especially the painstaking work of proof-reading all entries
                          > at
                          > least twice. That work will continue over the winter and likely into
                          > next
                          > summer. (If you have a few hours to donate, reply to this message and
                          > join
                          > the data entry team.)
                          >
                          > The first 6 sections of Queen's Park (A to F) are indexed on the AFHS
                          > website. The Jewish section is also available on the website.
                          >
                          > Thank you to these recorders and photographers for a job cheerfully and
                          > well
                          > done: (data entry volunteers will be mentioned at a later date):
                          > Spencer
                          > Field, Heather Jaremko, Carol Lylyk, Judie Riddell, Bill Logan, Janice
                          > Armstrong, Wayne McKenzie, Heather Williams, Marion Firman, Colleen
                          > Hauswirth, Linda Holdaway, Lorna Theroux, Marlene Knott, Kay and Glenn
                          > Clarke, Eleanora Wilson, Jean Carter, Kay Jamieson and Mandolin, Susan
                          > Snowdon, Gary Manthorne, Louise Pennenbecker, Marlene Roy, Allison
                          > Horwood,
                          > Eloise Wigglesworth.
                          >
                          > Lynda, for the Projects Committee
                          >

                          > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
                          >
                          > http://www.family-roots.ca

                        • Dennis & Pat Morey
                          Message 12 of 17 , Sep 28 12:56 PM
                            the list Address

                            I will do data entering. I would like to work from home if possible..

                            Pat Morey

                          • Judie Riddell
                            Message 13 of 17 , Sep 28 8:20 PM
                              the list Address

                              There have been many comments from the group on whether people without
                              tombstones who are buried in Queen's Park will make our database.

                              The answer is Yes.

                              The Index that is online for Sections A to F includes every burial listed in
                              the burial books at the Queen's Park Office. The full data is available on
                              CD at the AFHS Library (a benefit of membership) along with the photos of
                              each tombstone. The CD with the full database for over 9300 entries and the
                              available photos from these sections should be available at the seminar and
                              thereafter

                              I spend 6 months (off and on) going through these burial books and adding
                              records of people who do not have tombstones. Therefore to the best of my
                              knowledge every one who was buried in those sections is listed with his or
                              herlocation and burial date. We also used these books to check the data we
                              already had.

                              I want to thank Marlene Knott, Heather Williams and Carol Lylyk for adding
                              this extra information into the already large database.

                              Section P which is the Field of Honour should be available within the next
                              month.

                              To that regard I would appreciate recieving your favourite Military Websites
                              so we can add them to the CD as well. Adding as many military links and
                              resources as we can will enhance the usefulness of the CD

                              I hope this helps explain the context of our work and will put to rest any
                              doubts that some people will not be in the database.

                              We are presently working on Section J. As the sections are complete we will
                              let you know that they are available at the Library.

                              Judie Riddell

                            • fredastewart
                              Message 14 of 17 , Sep 29 8:37 AM
                                the list Address

                                Hi Judie: This past summer with company from Quebec, we went looking in
                                Queen's Park and found the burial sites of two cousins. They are in Section
                                K and I wondered if you have done that part yet. The couple is buried in one
                                site with no tombstone but we found the marker quite handily. If you haven't
                                done this yet I can give you the info if you wish. Let me know.
                                Freda Stewart

                                > There have been many comments from the group on whether people without
                                > tombstones who are buried in Queen's Park will make our database.
                                >
                                > The answer is Yes.
                                >
                                > The Index that is online for Sections A to F includes every burial listed
                                > in
                                > the burial books at the Queen's Park Office. The full data is available
                                > on
                                > CD at the AFHS Library (a benefit of membership) along with the photos of
                                > each tombstone. The CD with the full database for over 9300 entries and
                                > the
                                > available photos from these sections should be available at the seminar
                                > and
                                > thereafter
                                >
                                > I spend 6 months (off and on) going through these burial books and adding
                                > records of people who do not have tombstones. Therefore to the best of my
                                > knowledge every one who was buried in those sections is listed with his or
                                > herlocation and burial date. We also used these books to check the data
                                > we
                                > already had.
                                >
                                > I want to thank Marlene Knott, Heather Williams and Carol Lylyk for adding
                                > this extra information into the already large database.
                                >
                                > Section P which is the Field of Honour should be available within the next
                                > month.
                                >
                                > To that regard I would appreciate recieving your favourite Military
                                > Websites
                                > so we can add them to the CD as well. Adding as many military links and
                                > resources as we can will enhance the usefulness of the CD
                                >
                                > I hope this helps explain the context of our work and will put to rest any
                                > doubts that some people will not be in the database.
                                >
                                > We are presently working on Section J. As the sections are complete we
                                > will
                                > let you know that they are available at the Library.
                                >
                                > Judie Riddell
                                >

                                > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
                                >
                                > http://www.family-roots.ca

                              • Lynda Alderman
                                Message 15 of 17 , Oct 5, 2004
                                  the list Address

                                  Hi Pat,

                                  Do you have Excel, and have you done cemetery data entry before?

                                  Lynda
                                  > I will do data entering. I would like to work from home if possible..
                                  >
                                  > Pat Morey
                                  >

                                  > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
                                  >
                                  > http://www.family-roots.ca

                                • Lynda Alderman
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Oct 5, 2004
                                    the list Address

                                    Lorna,

                                    How can I get recording sheets to you for data entry....is mail the best
                                    way? I live at Bragg Creek and occasionally go to the city. For instance,
                                    this week I'll be at a school on 26th St. and 17 Ave. SW on Thursday, all
                                    day, and again the following Thursday, all day, if you could come by there
                                    and pick them up. Otherwise, I could mail them to you.

                                    Lynda
                                    > Hi Lynda..........I would be glad to help with data entry
                                    > again..........Lorna Stewart

                                  • Lynda Alderman
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Oct 5, 2004
                                      the list Address

                                      Don

                                      Do you have Excel on your computer? That's the program we use for data
                                      entry.

                                      I live in Bragg Creek but occasionally go the city for work etc. I could
                                      meet you in the city some day, or I could mail the recording sheets to you.

                                      Let me know.