about another Microsoft update

  • Mary Arthur
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 19, 2004
      the list Address

      http://go.hotwired.com/news/infostructure/0,1377,64261,00.html/wn_ascii

      Though the new Windows overhaul from Microsoft is welcome, its release
      is expected to generate a flood of help-desk calls for some companies
      whose software will need upgrades to work with Service Pack 2.

      Mary Arthur
      Director (Computer Sig)

    • Freda
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 20, 2004
        the list Address

        O.K. Mary - After a total of 57 messages this morning, of which 34 were
        Shaw intercepted Spam, but which I still had to delete, I've been reading
        about Mozilla but am really no smarter. I found the place to download but
        not sure which of these three I need, some or all of them. I know that if I
        try this on my own (again) I will mess up, so I will wait for your words of
        wisdom, does and don'ts.
        To download and install new Mozilla releases, follow the instructions
        below:
        1. Download Mozilla 1.7.1 to your Desktop and double-click the
        mozilla-win32-1.7.1-installer.exe icon.
        2. Follow the instructions in the Mozilla Install wizard.
        1. Download Firefox 0.9.2 and to your Desktop and double-click the
        FirefoxSetup-0.9.2.exe icon.
        2. Follow the instructions in the Firefox Install wizard.
        1. Download Thunderbird 0.7.2 to your Desktop and double-click the
        ThunderbirdSetup-0.7.2.exe icon.
        2. Follow the instructions in the Thunderbird Install wizard.
        Thanks
        Freda Stewart
        > Though the new Windows overhaul from Microsoft is welcome, its release
        > is expected to generate a flood of help-desk calls for some companies
        > whose software will need upgrades to work with Service Pack 2.
        >
        > Mary Arthur
        > Director (Computer Sig)
        > Alberta Family Histories Society

        > http://www.family-roots.ca

      • Charlie Hansen
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 20, 2004
          the list Address

          Hello list,

          On 20 Jul 2004 Freda wrote, in part:

          > O.K. Mary - After a total of 57 messages this morning, of which 34 were
          > Shaw intercepted Spam, but which I still had to delete,

          You can set up your Outlook Express rules to automatically move all of
          your mail which contains "[Shaw Suspected Junk Email]" in the Subject
          line to your Deleted Items folder, where you can either empty the folder
          manually or automatically when you exit Outlook Express. One of the
          problems with using Shaw's (or Telus's) spam detection is that the
          message inserted in the subject line is so long that it may cause the
          original subject line to be truncated when viewed on the folder list, so
          you may have to open the message to confirm that it is spam.

          If you trust Shaw not to mistake a good e-mail as spam, you can have them
          delete it on their server. Shaw will alternatively move detected spam
          into a special folder and remove it from your downlists list. You can
          then use Webmail to check this spam folder if you think you are missing
          an e-mail.

          I tried having Telus's filter delete their detected spam, but found that
          I was missing messages from my RootsWeb mailing lists, so I now have all
          my mail downloaded. I use my own spam detection program (PopFile) and
          find that it classifies spam with an accuracy of better than 99.9%. I
          then use my e-mail program's filters to move it to a spam folder. I check
          this daily for possible good e-mail and then empty that folder. [Note: I
          use Pegasus (http://www.pmail.com/) for my e-mail client instead of
          Outlook Express for its more flexible filtering and other security
          features.]

          > I've been reading about Mozilla but am really no smarter. I found the
          > place to download but not sure which of these three I need, some or all
          > of them. I know that if I try this on my own (again) I will mess up, so
          > I will wait for your words of wisdom, does and don'ts.

          About browsers;

          Changing your browser will not help your spam problem, but may be safer
          if it is better in stopping popups and detecting hijacked websites.

          Mozilla 1.7.1 is the latest Mozilla release. It is a full program with
          email and HTML editing as well as being a browser. It is very similar to
          Netscape, with the latest Netscape version being 7.1 See:

          http://channels.netscape.com/ns/browsers/browsing.jsp

          Mozilla has recently divided their browser into separate parts.
          Firefox 0.9.2 is a pure web browser with a built in popup blocker.
          Thunderbird 0.7.2 is an e-mail client with built in spam filtering and
          other features. Both Firefox and Thunderbird are presently in Beta
          versions. I am presently using Firefox 0.9.2. I also have Mozilla 1.7,
          Netscape 7.0 and IE 6.0 on my computer. Another browser which I have not
          tried is Opera. (http://www.opera.com/) There are some websites that
          use non-standard coding (Microsoft calls them features!) that Netscape,
          Mozilla and others may not display correctly and you will have to resort
          to IE to view them.

          Hope this helps.

          Charlie