Re: 1906 Census

  • Freda
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 11, 2004
      Hi Judith - I have just had my first look at the transcribed pages for the
      Peace River Country and have tracked relatives, although I had most of the
      info on them before. My question is - is there some way spelling corrections
      to the names can be made? If so the correct info would be as follows on SD#1
      P. 8; House 60; Lawrence: SHERIDAN. This info is verifiable in a book I
      just grabbed onto the 'book sale' named 'Emperor of the Peace' (i.e.
      Sheridan Lawrence) written by his granddaughter. This book is now in the
      AFHS Library and is a pretty fine picture of the survival mechanism in early
      days in that area.
      Reading through these names of that era on this census, my first thought
      was that I am glad I didn't try to decipher some of those names. Some of
      them had to be pure guess work.
      Sincerely
      Freda Stewart
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 11, 2004
        For each suggestion, I take a look myself - at the images online. If both
        interpretations are possible (suggestor and transcriber), I go with the
        suggester who invariably has more familiar/name knowledge. Else, I simply
        document the suggestion in a footnote.

        In this case, I agree that both are possible, but that we should proceed
        with your version. It will be online, corrected, in a few minutes.

        Thanks for taking the time to review/suggest.

        In Kinship,
        Judith Rempel
        judith@...

        and

        1906@...
        1906 Census Transcription Centre
        http://www.afhs.ab.ca/data/census/1906/
        Alberta Family Histories Society

        http://www.afhs.ab.ca
      • Gordon Lane
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 13, 2005
          It appears that the Canadian Genealogical Center has been doing some reorganization

          then click on sources by topic

          then census

          Scroll down the page to Resources on Line and voila

          which is the AFHS main transcription page.

          Regards

          Gordon Lane
          Chairman
          Alberta Family Histories Society
          712-16th Ave NW,
          Calgary, AB, T2W 0J8

          chairman@...
          www.afhs.ab.ca
          (403)214-1447

        • Peter and Yvonne Adams
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 22, 2005
            Hi,

            Where would I go to find a transcript of the 1906 Census for Lacombe, Ab.

            Thanks

            *****************************
            Peter Adams
            Calgary, Ab
          • Judith
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 22, 2005

              See http://www.afhs.ab.ca/data/census/1906/alberta/21/ and scroll down to subdistrict #43 for the town.  There are links to the census image pages on the Library & Archives Canada website as well as a link to our transcribed version of those pages.

              If you use our search tool found on the AFHS homepage for the transcription work < http://www.afhs.ab.ca/data/census/1906/index.html> and do a search on Lacombe – you’ll find lots of hits – for the above page as well as anyone elsewhere in the prairies at that time who indicated they used Lacombe as their post office (or had Lacombe as their name).

              Judith Rempel

              rempel@...

              and

              1906@...

              1906 Census of Canada Transcription Project

              Alberta Family Histories Society

              www.afhs.ab.ca/data/census/