Re: Internet Explorer

  • owner dist gen
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 6, 2004
      Dear Freda,

      The icon is just a short cut to the program, but if you never use the
      program, there is no reason to worry.

      When you have a friend over who knows about computers, ask them to
      uninstall Internet Explorer.

      Mary Arthur

    • Freda
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 7, 2004
        Thanks Mary - it is awful to be among the walking dummies - but I thought
        I better ask before I attempted to do anything more. If all I have to do is
        uninstall, perhaps I can do that myself.

      • Ann Stewart
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 7, 2004
          Upgrade your email with 1000's of emoticon iconsFolks, just to add my two cents after reading about all the concerns of this issue, I asked my computer guru about this problem and he helped settle my mind. Please accept this information in the spirit its given - to help people. I , like you am not a computer literate person when it comes to the inner workings of my computer. Asking advice from the experts is my only line of defense . I hope you can find this information useful.     Ann

          Response to my email:
          While most Trojan's, worms and viruses do target Internet Explorer (IE)
          users it is a pretty drastic step to change browsers. I have tried all the
          alternative browsers mentioned below and keep coming back to IE because all
          websites work well with it and it rarely crashes. The other browsers each
          have trouble with various sites because programmers develop their sites with
          IE in mind and not Opera, Mozilla, etc.

          As long as you go to Windows Update regularly and install all the critical
          updates and keep your antivirus software up to date and run regular
          antivirus scans you should be at a very low risk. I use IE and go to several
          hundred different sites a week and have never had any problems.

          Jim Teetzel
          Problem Solved Inc.

          > The icon is just a short cut to the program, but if you never use the
          > program, there is no reason to worry.
          >
          > When you have a friend over who knows about computers, ask them to
          > uninstall Internet Explorer.
          >
          > Mary Arthur
          >
          > On 6-Jul-04, at 17:07, Freda wrote:
          >
          > > Charles - you have suceeded in scaring the devil out of me. I have
          > > had an
          > > Explorer icon on my desktop since my 98Sec. was installed but never
          > > used it.
          > > Is there any danger to Outlook Express? I chucked the Explorer icon in
          > > the
          > > rubbish bin - will that do it or is there something else I need to do
          > > as
          > > well? Thanks for the warnings and the advice.
          > > Freda Stewart

          Upgrade Your Email - Click here!

        • Freda
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 8, 2004
            Hi - well to add further to this discussion, I did try to follow directions to prevent any disasters. Just wound up phoning Shaw to walk me through an installation. So - from now on this dummie will only click on what I know.
            Freda

            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 8, 2004
              I use a Mac and Safari and rarely find a site that I can't use. When I
              do I email them and Apple and usually it is fixed within the day.

              I have been recommending other browsers to Microsoft Users for some
              time and those who switched have not had any problems with crashes.

              As you all know I do not agree with "everyone uses it and so I will to".

              I think it is long past time that people took control.

              Also, if a web master is to lazy to make a site work with other
              browsers then he may be to lazy to site his sources properly as well.

              My 10 cents worth.

              Mary

              On 7-Jul-04, at 14:55, Ann Stewart wrote:
              Ann's helper wrote:

              > While most Trojan's, worms and viruses do target Internet Explorer (IE)
              > users it is a pretty drastic step to change browsers. I have tried all
              > the
              > alternative browsers mentioned below and keep coming back to IE
              > because all
              > websites work well with it and it rarely crashes. The other browsers
              > each
              > have trouble with various sites because programmers develop their
              > sites with
              > IE in mind and not Opera, Mozilla, etc.

              http://www.afhs.ab.ca
            • Robert Boynton
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 8, 2004
                OK thanks for the warning

                Here is the result of the research I did and I enclose an article from
                PCWorld - and it appears the problem is with a malicious JavaScript code
                being enabled when accessing infected websites. The problem is still
                being investigated.

                Here is a recent scoop.

                Here is when the discovery was made.

                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 8, 2004
                  I don't often comment regarding things on the list, but I'll toss my
                  opinion in this time.

                  I use IE at work. I have had no problems, and our company (a
                  multinational) is taking no especial steps in regards to the Trojan that
                  is being bandied about. We keep the machines up-to-date with respect to
                  the Microsoft security patches. We aren't expecting any real problems.

                  Here at home, Bev uses IE and I use Firefox. Again we keep the machines
                  patched up, and we are not expecting any problems on either machine.

                  I agree that people should make their own decisions, and take control of
                  their machinery. From my point of view, the debate hinges much more
                  around good security practices than browser choice.

                  Of course, this opinion is worth just what you paid for it. = 8-)

                  owner dist gen wrote:

                  > I use a Mac and Safari and rarely find a site that I can't use. When I
                  > do I email them and Apple and usually it is fixed within the day.
                  >
                  > I have been recommending other browsers to Microsoft Users for some
                  > time and those who switched have not had any problems with crashes.
                  >
                  > As you all know I do not agree with "everyone uses it and so I will to".
                  >
                  > I think it is long past time that people took control.
                  >
                  > Also, if a web master is to lazy to make a site work with other
                  > browsers then he may be to lazy to site his sources properly as well.
                  >
                  > My 10 cents worth.
                  >
                  > Mary
                  >
                  > On 7-Jul-04, at 14:55, Ann Stewart wrote:
                  > Ann's helper wrote:
                  >
                  >> While most Trojan's, worms and viruses do target Internet Explorer (IE)
                  >> users it is a pretty drastic step to change browsers. I have tried
                  >> all the
                  >> alternative browsers mentioned below and keep coming back to IE
                  >> because all
                  >> websites work well with it and it rarely crashes. The other browsers
                  >> each
                  >> have trouble with various sites because programmers develop their
                  >> sites with
                  >> IE in mind and not Opera, Mozilla, etc.

                  Ken

                  Kenneth W. Rees