Internet Security Warning-Eastman Genealogy Newsletter -Of Interest To All

  • Charles W Aubin
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 6 11:41 AM
      - Major Windows Security Risk

      NOTE: This article contains no genealogy information. However, it
      contains information that every Windows user should know.

      A new Trojan horse appeared last week. Technically, a Trojan horse is
      not the same as a virus, but the result is the same: something bad could
      happen to anyone whose computer becomes infected. Every Windows user
      should read about the JS.Scob.Trojan problem. You can search Google at
      http://tinyurl.com/2gndp to find hundreds of articles about
      JS.Scob.Trojan. If you use Windows, you need to read several of those
      articles!

      Even the Department of Homeland Security is now advising computer users
      to stop using Internet Explorer. Details are available at:
      http://tinyurl.com/yrq6j. Note that the article says, "The Department of
      Homeland Security's U.S. Computer Emergency Readiness Team touched off a
      storm this week when it recommended for security reasons using browsers
      other than Microsoft's Internet Explorer."

      A related story is available at http://tinyurl.com/yq2pp

      Even Slate Magazine, an online publication owned by Microsoft and
      published on MSN, is advising readers to not use Microsoft's Internet
      Explorer! You can read the article at http://slate.msn.com/id/2103152/.

      In short, the JS.Scob.Trojan program is a major security risk. It
      installs spyware programs in your Windows PC and can capture any
      keystrokes you enter, including your passwords, bank account numbers,
      and credit card numbers that you type.

      JS.Scob.Trojan is running rampant, and the anti-virus companies have not
      yet found a cure for it. However, Microsoft has now posted a workaround
      to this security bug on its Web site. The Microsoft patch is not a true
      fix; it simply provides a method to avoid the problem. The company says
      that it is still "investigating the problem."

      JS.Scob.Trojan explores a weakness in Microsoft's IIS Web server and is
      appearing in Web servers all around the world. Even Web sites that you
      use every day and trust can become infected with this virus. Once you
      visit an infected Web site, your Windows computer will be infected.

      NOTE: The Web site for this newsletter at http://www.eogn.com
      <http://www.eogn.com/> operates on Linux, not Windows. Therefore the
      eogn.com Web site will not be infected by JS.Scob.Trojan, nor will any
      other Web server that runs on Linux, UNIX, or Apple. You can safely read
      this newsletter in any Web browser. The only Web servers that are
      vulnerable to JS.Scob.Trojan are those running Microsoft Windows. You
      will only become infected if you use Microsoft's Internet Explorer web
      browser on a Windows computer and you visit an infected Web site that
      uses Microsoft's IIS Web server.

      Eogn.com will never run on a Microsoft Web server!

      Luckily, there is an easy fix for this: don't use Microsoft's Internet
      Explorer. Period. Use Opera or Netscape or Mozilla or FireFox or Safari
      instead.

      For even better on-going security, don't use Windows. Use a Macintosh or
      Linux or some other operating system.

      I have written in a recent Plus Edition article about Opera, a new Web
      browser for Windows and other operating systems that is much better than
      Internet Explorer, runs faster, and does a better job of displaying Web
      pages. If you use Opera, you will not become infected by this recent
      Trojan horse. FireFox is another new and faster Web browser.

      Likewise, if you use Mozilla or FireFox or Netscape or Safari, you will
      not be infected. If you are using a Macintosh or Linux system, you will
      not be infected. The high risk occurs only if you use Microsoft Internet
      Explorer on a Microsoft Windows system.

      I am about to delete Microsoft Internet Explorer from my systems. Time
      and again the Microsoft products have proven to have security holes that
      are not shared with other Web browsers. I cannot afford the risk.

      In fact, I am running a Linux system on my desk alongside my Windows
      system. The more I use Linux, the better I like it. I also own an iMac
      and like its Safari Web browser. I am thinking of scrapping my Windows
      system soon and using only Linux. It is faster, much more secure, and
      almost impervious to viruses and Trojan horse problems. Linux is also
      becoming as easy to use as Windows.

      Some people will argue that Microsoft has all these security problems
      simply because the company's products are so popular. They will claim
      that the miscreants who create viruses and Trojan horse programs attack
      Windows only because of its popularity. They will claim that Linux or
      Macintosh would have the same problems if those operating systems were
      more popular.

      You know what? I don't care!

      As a computer user, I know that using a Microsoft solution exposes me to
      personal risk. My credit card numbers, my bank account information, and
      more are at risk, regardless of the reasons. I also know that using a
      Macintosh or a Linux system reduces that risk about 99.9%. Even if I
      stay with Windows, switching from Internet Explorer to Opera or Netscape
      or Mozilla or FireFox reduces the risk perhaps 95%.

      I will probably switch operating systems. However, if you are not
      prepared to do that, I strongly urge you to stop using Internet
      Explorer. Instead, use Netscape or Mozilla or FireFox or Opera.

      Think about it…

      You can find more information about Opera at http://www.opera.com
      <http://www.opera.com/>. You can learn about FireFox at
      http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/.

      Do you have comments, questions or corrections to this article? Post
      your message on the newsletter's blog at: http://blog.eogn.com
      <http://blog.eogn.com/>

    • Bill Boogaart
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 6 12:42 PM
        Although I find that the text of the message below borders wildly on the
        side of paranoia, you can get additional factual information from the US
        Government Homeland Security Website: http://snipurl.com/7k82 and also from
        the Carnegie Mellon University's Software Engineering Institute:
        http://www.cert.org CERT is the organization that researches and originates
        the warnings that all virus scanning services rely on for up to the minute
        data.

        http://www.afhs.ab.ca
      • Freda
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 6 4:07 PM
          Charles - you have suceeded in scaring the devil out of me. I have had an
          Explorer icon on my desktop since my 98Sec. was installed but never used it.
          Is there any danger to Outlook Express? I chucked the Explorer icon in the
          rubbish bin - will that do it or is there something else I need to do as
          well? Thanks for the warnings and the advice.
          Freda Stewart

> [...]
          >
          > As a computer user, I know that using a Microsoft solution exposes me to
          > personal risk. My credit card numbers, my bank account information, and
          > more are at risk, regardless of the reasons. I also know that using a
          > Macintosh or a Linux system reduces that risk about 99.9%. Even if I
          > stay with Windows, switching from Internet Explorer to Opera or Netscape
          > or Mozilla or FireFox reduces the risk perhaps 95%.
          >
          > I will probably switch operating systems. However, if you are not
          > prepared to do that, I strongly urge you to stop using Internet
          > Explorer. Instead, use Netscape or Mozilla or FireFox or Opera.
          >
          > Think about it…
          >
          > You can find more information about Opera at http://www.opera.com
          > <http://www.opera.com/>. You can learn about FireFox at
          > http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/.
          >
          > Do you have comments, questions or corrections to this article? Post

        • owner dist gen
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 6 8:38 PM
            Dear Freda,

            The icon is just a short cut to the program, but if you never use the
            program, there is no reason to worry.

            When you have a friend over who knows about computers, ask them to
            uninstall Internet Explorer.

            Mary Arthur

          • Freda
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 7 12:50 PM
              Thanks Mary - it is awful to be among the walking dummies - but I thought
              I better ask before I attempted to do anything more. If all I have to do is
              uninstall, perhaps I can do that myself.

            • Ann Stewart
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 7 1:55 PM
                Upgrade your email with 1000's of emoticon iconsFolks, just to add my two cents after reading about all the concerns of this issue, I asked my computer guru about this problem and he helped settle my mind. Please accept this information in the spirit its given - to help people. I , like you am not a computer literate person when it comes to the inner workings of my computer. Asking advice from the experts is my only line of defense . I hope you can find this information useful.     Ann

                Response to my email:
                While most Trojan's, worms and viruses do target Internet Explorer (IE)
                users it is a pretty drastic step to change browsers. I have tried all the
                alternative browsers mentioned below and keep coming back to IE because all
                websites work well with it and it rarely crashes. The other browsers each
                have trouble with various sites because programmers develop their sites with
                IE in mind and not Opera, Mozilla, etc.

                As long as you go to Windows Update regularly and install all the critical
                updates and keep your antivirus software up to date and run regular
                antivirus scans you should be at a very low risk. I use IE and go to several
                hundred different sites a week and have never had any problems.

                Jim Teetzel
                Problem Solved Inc.

                > The icon is just a short cut to the program, but if you never use the
                > program, there is no reason to worry.
                >
                > When you have a friend over who knows about computers, ask them to
                > uninstall Internet Explorer.
                >
                > Mary Arthur
                >
                > On 6-Jul-04, at 17:07, Freda wrote:
                >
                > > Charles - you have suceeded in scaring the devil out of me. I have
                > > had an
                > > Explorer icon on my desktop since my 98Sec. was installed but never
                > > used it.
                > > Is there any danger to Outlook Express? I chucked the Explorer icon in
                > > the
                > > rubbish bin - will that do it or is there something else I need to do
                > > as
                > > well? Thanks for the warnings and the advice.
                > > Freda Stewart

                Upgrade Your Email - Click here!

              • Freda
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 8 12:40 PM
                  Hi - well to add further to this discussion, I did try to follow directions to prevent any disasters. Just wound up phoning Shaw to walk me through an installation. So - from now on this dummie will only click on what I know.
                  Freda

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 8 12:43 PM
                    I use a Mac and Safari and rarely find a site that I can't use. When I
                    do I email them and Apple and usually it is fixed within the day.

                    I have been recommending other browsers to Microsoft Users for some
                    time and those who switched have not had any problems with crashes.

                    As you all know I do not agree with "everyone uses it and so I will to".

                    I think it is long past time that people took control.

                    Also, if a web master is to lazy to make a site work with other
                    browsers then he may be to lazy to site his sources properly as well.

                    My 10 cents worth.

                    Mary

                    On 7-Jul-04, at 14:55, Ann Stewart wrote:
                    Ann's helper wrote:

                    > While most Trojan's, worms and viruses do target Internet Explorer (IE)
                    > users it is a pretty drastic step to change browsers. I have tried all
                    > the
                    > alternative browsers mentioned below and keep coming back to IE
                    > because all
                    > websites work well with it and it rarely crashes. The other browsers
                    > each
                    > have trouble with various sites because programmers develop their
                    > sites with
                    > IE in mind and not Opera, Mozilla, etc.

                    http://www.afhs.ab.ca
                  • Robert Boynton
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 8 1:59 PM
                      OK thanks for the warning

                      Here is the result of the research I did and I enclose an article from
                      PCWorld - and it appears the problem is with a malicious JavaScript code
                      being enabled when accessing infected websites. The problem is still
                      being investigated.

                      Here is a recent scoop.

                      Here is when the discovery was made.

> [...]

                      >more are at risk, regardless of the reasons. I also know that using a
                      >Macintosh or a Linux system reduces that risk about 99.9%. Even if I
                      stay
                      >with Windows, switching from Internet Explorer to Opera or Netscape or
                      >Mozilla or FireFox reduces the risk perhaps 95%.
                      >
                      >I will probably switch operating systems. However, if you are not
                      >prepared
                      >to do that, I strongly urge you to stop using Internet Explorer.
                      Instead,
                      >use Netscape or Mozilla or FireFox or Opera.
                      >
                      >Think about it…
                      >
                      >You can find more information about Opera at http://www.opera.com
                      ><http://www.opera.com/>. You can learn about FireFox at
                      >http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/.
                      >
                      >Do you have comments, questions or corrections to this article? Post

                      http://www.afhs.ab.ca

                      ---
                      Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

                      ---

                    • Ken Rees
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 8 8:56 PM
                        I don't often comment regarding things on the list, but I'll toss my
                        opinion in this time.

                        I use IE at work. I have had no problems, and our company (a
                        multinational) is taking no especial steps in regards to the Trojan that
                        is being bandied about. We keep the machines up-to-date with respect to
                        the Microsoft security patches. We aren't expecting any real problems.

                        Here at home, Bev uses IE and I use Firefox. Again we keep the machines
                        patched up, and we are not expecting any problems on either machine.

                        I agree that people should make their own decisions, and take control of
                        their machinery. From my point of view, the debate hinges much more
                        around good security practices than browser choice.

                        Of course, this opinion is worth just what you paid for it. = 8-)

                        owner dist gen wrote:

                        > I use a Mac and Safari and rarely find a site that I can't use. When I
                        > do I email them and Apple and usually it is fixed within the day.
                        >
                        > I have been recommending other browsers to Microsoft Users for some
                        > time and those who switched have not had any problems with crashes.
                        >
                        > As you all know I do not agree with "everyone uses it and so I will to".
                        >
                        > I think it is long past time that people took control.
                        >
                        > Also, if a web master is to lazy to make a site work with other
                        > browsers then he may be to lazy to site his sources properly as well.
                        >
                        > My 10 cents worth.
                        >
                        > Mary
                        >
                        > On 7-Jul-04, at 14:55, Ann Stewart wrote:
                        > Ann's helper wrote:
                        >
                        >> While most Trojan's, worms and viruses do target Internet Explorer (IE)
                        >> users it is a pretty drastic step to change browsers. I have tried
                        >> all the
                        >> alternative browsers mentioned below and keep coming back to IE
                        >> because all
                        >> websites work well with it and it rarely crashes. The other browsers
                        >> each
                        >> have trouble with various sites because programmers develop their
                        >> sites with
                        >> IE in mind and not Opera, Mozilla, etc.

                        Ken

                        Kenneth W. Rees