Explanation of Scottish name

  • Gordon Lane
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2004
      Explanation of Scottish name

      I have been given the following name and wondered what the part in brackets meant.

      Raonull Ban (Fair Ronald) Campbell

      Regards

      Gordon Lane

      Chairman

      Alberta Family Histories Society

      712-16th Ave NW,

      Calgary, AB, T2W 0J8

      chairman@...

      www.afhs.ab.ca

      (403)214-1447

    • Freda
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2004
        Explanation of Scottish name
        Hi Gordon - my bet from what I have been learning of Scottish naming is that Ronald was either fair haired or good looking, perhaps both, in comparison sometimes to another family member named Ronald who might be dark haired. Let me know differently eh!
        Freda Stewart
        I have been given the following name and wondered what the part in brackets meant.

        Raonull Ban (Fair Ronald) Campbell

        Regards

        Gordon Lane

        Chairman

        Alberta Family Histories Society

        712-16th Ave NW,

        Calgary, AB, T2W 0J8

        chairman@...

        www.afhs.ab.ca

        (403)214-1447

      • Lesley Stuart-Smith
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 1, 2004
          Explanation of Scottish name
          I believe that "Fair Ronald" is a direct translation from the Gaelic "Raonull Ban".

          Cheers, Lesley

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 1, 2004
            Explanation of Scottish name