Re: Family photos

  • Bill Mumford
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 26, 2004
      > > Sorry to be a bit off topic. In preparation for a family reunion in
      > August,
      > > I would like to put some of my Mom's old slides from the 60's and 70's
      > onto
      > > DVD. Does anyone have a recommendation? > I don't think you are alone
      in the answer to your question. Could the
      > replies be posted here so that we all can learn how this can be done?

      For those interested in this problem but in no rush to solve it I suggest
      you attend the October 4th meeting of the AFHS. The featured speaker at
      that meeting will be Denis Ridenour of the National Genealogical Society's
      Family Papers Archive team. They will be in Calgary for most of October
      digitizing any family papers of genealogical value. Slides are just one of
      the items they will be digitizing and in the lectures Denis will be
      presenting he touches on the various methods one might use. Some of these
      are very simple and inexpensive, requiring very little equipment beyond a
      decent digital camera. e.g. I watched him digitize slides using three
      different methods, a loupe, a cheap little slide viewer, and a homemade
      adapter lens. For anyone in a hurry try contacting a photo shop such as
      Robinson's.

      Cheers

      Bill

      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 26, 2004
        I copy the slides from my slide scanner to CD and then go to a local place
        to move them from CD to DVD. So far I do not have experience having someone
        else scan from slides but I imagine that would cost more than moving images
        from a CD to a DVD. On the otherhand moving photos from my digital camera
        onto my computer and then onto CD is too time consuming when one camera card
        takes around 350 images. I found attempting it was a good way to crash my
        computer. I didn't find a way to go from digital camera card to CD without
        copying first to my hard drive.

        So what you want involves more steps and will probably depend on the number
        of slides you have and the number of DVD you want as an end product.

        When I checked out whether to do my own slides or go to someone else who may
        have better equipment, I found most use the same process - i.e. scan the
        slides first onto a computer drive, then copy to CD and duplicate onto to
        DVD. Perhaps there are some more sophisticated than when I first inquired.

        The process of duplication to DVD for under 300 DVD (regardless of number of
        slides) is usually called short-run duplication rather than replication.
        Best though when asking for a quote to specify exactly how many slides you
        have and the fact that you want to end up with a DVD. I found when not being
        specific that the end process was more expensive than it needed to be. For
        example, if I went with two CDs to copy to one DVD I was charged for each CD
        to be copied rather than the one DVD that would be the end product. If I had
        taken the time to copy all the images to one CD, it would have been half the
        price to copy it to one DVD.

        I also know one person who had photographs taken at his daughter's wedding
        and asked for a DVD to be produced. It cost him $100 per DVD and copying
        himself was restricted due to copyright by the photographer. Since yours are
        slides you have taken yourself, you may not run into the same problems but
        my advice is still to be very very specific about what you have and what end
        product you expect to ensure you are not overcharged or charged more than
        you "thought" it would be.

        There are two places in Calgary that I know provide the scan from slides to
        CD and then to DVD. I have not yet used either:

        Aurea Media see http://www.aureamedia.com/main.cfm

        ABL Imaging http://www.ablimaging.com/ and click on the Calgary location

        Xenia

        Sorry to be a bit off topic. In preparation for a family reunion in August,
        I would like to put some of my Mom's old slides from the 60's and 70's onto
        DVD. Does anyone have a recommendation? You can email me direct at
        misunism@... Thanks,
        Linda Murray

      • Charlie Hansen
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 27, 2004
          Hi Linda and others,

          On 25 Jun 2004 at 15:09, you wrote:

          > Sorry to be a bit off topic. In preparation for a family reunion in
          > August, I would like to put some of my Mom's old slides from the 60's
          > and 70's onto DVD. Does anyone have a recommendation?

          This topic has come up at some the beginners sessions of our
          Genealogical Computing Group (AKA Computer SIG).

          You have actually asked several questions without telling us what
          equipment you have or have available to use. Do you have a scanner with a
          slide or transparency feature or adapter? What resolution does it have?
          Do you expect to have to do any touch-ups or editing of the slide images?
          Do you have a CD burner or a DVD recorder? Why do you want to distribute
          a DVD instead of a CD? How many copies of your CD or DVD? What final
          format and resolution do you need? That is, will the CD or DVD images be
          just for viewing on a standard TV or do you want the quality to be
          suitable for printing and in what size?

          My old scanner has an OPTICAL resolution of 1200 dpi [dots(pixels) per
          inch] and maximum of 42 bits colour depth. On a 35 mm slide this gives
          about 1800 pixels. My old printer will use 300 dpi so will print an image
          up to 6 inches wide. With newer photo printers with the a higher dpi
          rating the image would be smaller if high quality settings were used. A
          slide would be about 1800 x 1200 pixels times 3 bytes (one per colour)
          for a total memory requirement of about 6.5 MB per slide in raw or
          bitmapped mode. (Twice as much if you can use 42 bit colour depth)

          Computer monitors have from 640 to 1280 horizontal pixels, so a scanner
          resolution of from about 400 to 800 dpi would give a full screen image on
          a monitor. Standard TVs have even less display resolution.

          I have not scanned very many of my slides for several reasons:
          1) My software used only 24 bits of colour depth so I had difficulty
          achieving good colour matching. There may also have been other
          reasons.
          2) The transparency feature on my scanner does not have any way to
          accurately locate successive slides in exactly the same position, so
          either cropping or rotation or both was required for every slide.
          3) It just took too long with the equipment that I have.

          Once you have the digital versions of your slides saved to your hard
          drive, "burning" a CD is relatively straight forward with a reasonably
          new writer and software. You should have either enough RAM to hold the
          slides that you want to copy to your CD or a fast hard drive although
          newer CD burner programs do provide protection from under-run.

          Her are a couple of URLs for some information on scanning slides.

          http://arch.virginia.edu:16080/computing/Help/scanning/basics.html

          http://photography.about.com/cs/digital/ht/Scan_Slides.htm

          Unless you really want to do it all yourself, so that you can add titles
          or notes, I would suggest that you use a commercial firm to do this work.
          They will typically scan at 2000dpi and you will get some touch-up
          included in the price. If you have a reasonable quantity, I think you
          should be able to find someone to do the job for between $0.50 and $1.00
          per slide. This is comparable to getting a duplicate slide.

          Some more suggestions in addition to those provided by Bill Mumford and
          Xenia Stanford are:

          The University of Calgary offers a scanning and writing to CD service and
          will do small quantities, but are quite pricy:

          http://www.ucalgary.ca/ImageCentre/imaging/price.htm

          Nova Photo Centre:

          http://www.novacanada.com/Scanning.aspx

          I hope this explanation of the process and problems helps with your plans
          for your reunion.

          Regards,

          Charlie