RE: Quebec birth cert.

    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 22, 2004
      Hi Ken,

      The site you give is for the Quebec Family History Society - in other words the equivalent of the AFHS for Quebec. This does change what I replied to Kathy.

      Quebec records from 1620 to 1900 are in the "National Archives of Quebec" and the "certificates" can be obtained from the Civil Registrar of Quebec http://www.dec.gouv.qc.ca/ENGLISH/

      However, besides the name of the individual you need to know the parish and the date. Retrieving the relevant parish record is much more valuable than obtaining the certificate from the registrar. If the date and parish is not known, the QFHS offers a research service. For the page most relevant to that go to http://www.cam.org/~qfhs/srch.html#bmd

      If the parish and date is known, it is still best to retrieve it from the parish register of which many have been microfilmed and are available from the Family History Center in Salt Lake -  via local Family History Centre or requesting a copy of the page if date and parish are known.

      Xenia