Re: Searching for someone in ON in 1944

  • Mary Arthur
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2004
      On 1-Jun-04, at 15:29, Linda Holdaway wrote:

      > Hello -
      > snipped
      I hope you have said city directory and not telephone directory? Many
      in 1944 would not have had a telephone.

      If he was young and/or unemployed he might not have made the directory.

      If he was in the services he also might not have been included. If he
      was 18-35 in 1944 I would be looking at the armed services records as
      well.

      I am sure there are directories for other areas around Toronto, but
      don't know them personally.

      I have heard some people call the entire province of ON 'Toronto'.

      > My problem is that the 1944 edition of the Toronto city directory has
      > no listing for this man - by his name or initial. I am wondering if
      > someone can tell me (assuming the 1944 obituary is correct),
      > if there are directories that would cover the area around Toronto -
      > perhaps he was listed as living in Toronto to simplify things but in
      > reality he lived close to but not actually in the city. Is there a
      > possibility that his number could have been unlisted in 1944?

      http://www.afhs.ab.ca
    • Robert Boynton
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1, 2004
        Good Advice Mary

        If someone was in Toronto in 1944, I would not look in just the 1944
        directory as each directory is only as good as the people who went door
        to door and whomever answered the door.

        Most of the information in the 1944 directory was gathered in 1943.

        Therefore, I would expand my check of the years from 1944 and check 1940
        to 1950 for this person and you might have better luck getting a tab on
        them.

        RB

        On 1-Jun-04, at 15:29, Linda Holdaway wrote:

        > Hello -
        > snipped
        I hope you have said city directory and not telephone directory? Many
        in 1944 would not have had a telephone.

        If he was young and/or unemployed he might not have made the directory.

        If he was in the services he also might not have been included. If he
        was 18-35 in 1944 I would be looking at the armed services records as
        well.

        I am sure there are directories for other areas around Toronto, but
        don't know them personally.

        I have heard some people call the entire province of ON 'Toronto'.

        > My problem is that the 1944 edition of the Toronto city directory has
        > no listing for this man - by his name or initial. I am wondering if
        > someone can tell me (assuming the 1944 obituary is correct),
        > if there are directories that would cover the area around Toronto -
        > perhaps he was listed as living in Toronto to simplify things but in
        > reality he lived close to but not actually in the city. Is there a
        > possibility that his number could have been unlisted in 1944?

        http://www.afhs.ab.ca

        ---
        Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

        ---