Any suggestions?

  • Linda Holdaway
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2004
      Hello -

      I am looking for a man who is listed in his Dad's 1944 obituary as
      living in Toronto, Ont. I have been in touch with the Toronto Public
      Library's "Ask a Librarian" service (to see when he is no longer listed
      in hopes of eventually obtaining this man's obituary). My problem is
      that the 1944 edition of the Toronto city directory has no listing for
      this man - by his name or initial. I am wondering if someone can tell
      me (assuming the 1944 obituary is correct),
      if there are directories that would cover the area around Toronto -
      perhaps he was listed as living in Toronto to simplify things but in
      reality he lived close to but not actually in the city. Is there a
      possibility that his number could have been unlisted in 1944?

      I very much appreciate any suggestions you can offer.

      Linda Holdaway

      http://www.afhs.ab.ca
    • Mary Arthur
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1, 2004
        On 1-Jun-04, at 15:29, Linda Holdaway wrote:

        > Hello -
        > snipped
        I hope you have said city directory and not telephone directory? Many
        in 1944 would not have had a telephone.

        If he was young and/or unemployed he might not have made the directory.

        If he was in the services he also might not have been included. If he
        was 18-35 in 1944 I would be looking at the armed services records as
        well.

        I am sure there are directories for other areas around Toronto, but
        don't know them personally.

        I have heard some people call the entire province of ON 'Toronto'.

        > My problem is that the 1944 edition of the Toronto city directory has
        > no listing for this man - by his name or initial. I am wondering if
        > someone can tell me (assuming the 1944 obituary is correct),
        > if there are directories that would cover the area around Toronto -
        > perhaps he was listed as living in Toronto to simplify things but in
        > reality he lived close to but not actually in the city. Is there a
        > possibility that his number could have been unlisted in 1944?

        http://www.afhs.ab.ca
      • Robert Boynton
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 1, 2004
          Good Advice Mary

          If someone was in Toronto in 1944, I would not look in just the 1944
          directory as each directory is only as good as the people who went door
          to door and whomever answered the door.

          Most of the information in the 1944 directory was gathered in 1943.

          Therefore, I would expand my check of the years from 1944 and check 1940
          to 1950 for this person and you might have better luck getting a tab on
          them.

          RB

          On 1-Jun-04, at 15:29, Linda Holdaway wrote:

          > Hello -
          > snipped
          I hope you have said city directory and not telephone directory? Many
          in 1944 would not have had a telephone.

          If he was young and/or unemployed he might not have made the directory.

          If he was in the services he also might not have been included. If he
          was 18-35 in 1944 I would be looking at the armed services records as
          well.

          I am sure there are directories for other areas around Toronto, but
          don't know them personally.

          I have heard some people call the entire province of ON 'Toronto'.

          > My problem is that the 1944 edition of the Toronto city directory has
          > no listing for this man - by his name or initial. I am wondering if
          > someone can tell me (assuming the 1944 obituary is correct),
          > if there are directories that would cover the area around Toronto -
          > perhaps he was listed as living in Toronto to simplify things but in
          > reality he lived close to but not actually in the city. Is there a
          > possibility that his number could have been unlisted in 1944?

          http://www.afhs.ab.ca

          ---
          Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

          ---