Snip URL

  • Bill Boogaart
    Message 1 of 2 , May 13, 2004
      Occasionally you might want to send a url of a web page to someone else.
      And when you cut and paste it into message, if it is very long, it wraps
      over two or more lines. The result is that the recipient has problem
      getting to the page you wanted them to see. Snipurl is a free web service
      that can make that long url shorter and more manageable.

      As an example, the recent message Xenia sent wrapped the url over two lines.

      http://www.parl.gc.ca/PDF/37/3/parlbus/chambus/house/bills/government/C-8_4.
      PDF

      Clicking on the above link will not give the results the recipient is
      looking for, especially if they don't know to include the second line's PDF.

      Snipurl shortened that long url to:

      http://snipurl.com/6de0

      This second link is short and when you click it, redirects you to the long
      link that is wrapped in the message.

      Have a look at http://www.snipurl.com and it will explain how to use it.
      You can drag a short cut right off their web page to your IE Explorer
      browser Links Menu line or Netscape/Mozilla's Personal toolbar . Then, if
      you're looking at a page with a long url that you want someone else to see,
      you click on the Snipurl shortcut button and it snips that long url for
      you, and puts the shortened results into your clipboard so that you can
      simply paste the result into your message.

      Enjoy!

      Bill

      Message 2 of 2 , May 13, 2004
        Sorry, I did not even link to it. I only forwarded what was sent to me.
        Thanks for checking it out Bill and giving the more direct and shorter
        version.

        Xenia