Safe Mode Start

  • George Lake
    Message 1 of 1 , May 10, 2004
      Hi All:
      If you're having trouble doing a Scandisk or Defrag in Windows 98 or ME,
      try doing it in Safe Mode.

      To start your computer in Safe Mode, do a normal start (power up) or
      restart while holding down the CTRL key. (Other keys work on some
      machines, but Windows 98 & ME will recognize CTRL) After a while you will
      get a menu with 4 options -
      1. Normal
      2. Logged
      3. Safe mode
      4. Step by step

      Type 3, then Enter. (ME defaults to a normal startup if you do nothing
      within about 30 seconds )

      Windows will start (often with weird screen colours) with the Help window
      open. Close the Help window.

      Click Start, then Programs, then Accessories, then System Tools, then
      either Scandisk or Defrag.

      On my system I have noted these may restart themselves several times, but
      eventually get finished. (note Defrag will not run if there are any disk
      errors that Scandisk can detect, such as detached file fragments or boot
      file corruption.)

      I find this procedure works, while shutting everything down using MSCONFIG
      sometimes doesn't.

      Hope this helps.

      Geo

      George Lake