Doug Hay's talk on web site creation - another example

  • Lorna Laughton
    Message 1 of 1 , May 9 3:28 PM
      Message

      Hi everyone:

      I thought that Doug Hay's talk on web site creation and the questions & answers were very helpful at the Computer SIG yesterday. Thank you, Doug.

      You might like to look at the website for the SORBIE family at http://www.sorbie.net/index.htm. My husband, Dennis, is a Sorbie descendant, and I have been corresponding with Andy Potts who developed and maintains this website. Andy didn't put the actual family tree on the website - just information about people in the family (past and present), and about the areas where the family originally lived (Wigtownshire, and Stonehouse, Lanarkshire, Scotland). Andy has about 8000 names on the Sorbie Family Tree (in Family Tree Maker), and sends it separately (by Gedcom or FTM file) to any family member who wants it. Although most of those on the family tree are descendants of one couple from Stonehouse in the 1700's, there are other branches that haven't been tied in yet. Anyways, this is another style of genealogy web site.

      As well, Andy set up an e-mail group (like dist-gen) through YAHOO. There are about 70 of us (Scotland, England, USA, Canada, New Zealand) on the e-mail list. We don't get any spam through it at all. As someone mentioned yesterday, this is a list where you have to be invited to join by the list administrator, and then make the connection.

      You might think that I'm the only one interested in this family and area of Scotland, but it's a small world. Two other members of AFHS have family from Stonehouse, Scotland - Ethel McDonald, and Jack Cox. As well, another Sorbie descendant lives in Calgary - Norma Marr, from the Calgary Herald Archives, who spoke to the AFHS Basic's class this past year.

      Lorna