Re: CDs and DVD

  • Bill Boogaart by way of Bill Boogaart
    Message 1 of 1 , May 7, 2004
      I'm not sure who or what to believe. I have an extensive collection of
      movies on 12 inch laserdiscs (the technology that CDs are based on) that
      predate CDs and they all play just fine. I have music CDs that date back to
      the mid 1980s and none of those are displaying any signs of deterioration.
      Back when I bought them, the skeptics were spouting that with laser rot
      they would only last ten years, if you were lucky. The things I will agree
      on are labels. Don't put them on your CDs. They can come off and do serious
      damage to the insides of your player. And as mentioned, handle your CDs and
      DVDs by the edges and store them in a cool place out of the sun to keep
      them from warping, just like the old LPs used to do, and don't clean them
      with alcohol based solutions. If you do need to clean the discs, wipe
      radially from the inside to the outer edge.

      What is going to matter is the progress of technology. When the day comes
      that my laserdisc player packs it in and can't be repaired, those
      laserdiscs will be useless. And technology will surely make CDs and DVDs
      obsolete as well. The future I believe is in non-mechanical means of data
      recording. Solid state devices like the ones we're now using in our digital
      cameras. They're still pricey, but storage capacities and prices are
      dropping all the time.