cds and dvds

  • Mary Arthur
    Message 1 of 2 , May 7 9:13 AM
      Wired magazine has an interesting article about how short cds and dvds
      may last:
      http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,63355,00.html/wn_ascii

      "For maximum longevity, discs should be stored vertically and only be
      handled by the edges. Don't stick labels on them, and in the case of
      write-once CDs, don't write on them with anything but soft water-based
      or alcohol-based markers. Also, like wine, discs should be stored in a
      cool, dry place."

      Mary Arthur
      Director (Computer Sig)

    • Bill Boogaart
      Message 2 of 2 , May 7 10:01 AM
        I'm not sure who or what to believe. I have an extensive collection of
        movies on 12 inch laserdiscs (the technology that CDs are based on) that
        predate CDs and they all play just fine. I have music CDs that date back to
        the mid 1980s and none of those are displaying any signs of deterioration.
        Back when I bought them, the skeptics were spouting that with laser rot
        they would only last ten years, if you were lucky. The things I will agree
        on are labels. Don't put them on your CDs. They can come off and do serious
        damage to the insides of your player. And as mentioned, handle your CDs and
        DVDs by the edges and store them in a cool place out of the sun to keep
        them from warping, just like the old LPs used to do, and don't clean them
        with alcohol based solutions. If you do need to clean the discs, wipe
        radially from the inside to the outer edge.

        What is going to matter is the progress of technology. When the day comes
        that my laserdisc player packs it in and can't be repaired, those
        laserdiscs will be useless. And technology will surely make CDs and DVDs
        obsolete as well. The future I believe is in non-mechanical means of data
        recording. Solid state devices like the ones we're now using in our digital
        cameras. They're still pricey, but storage capacities and prices are
        dropping all the time.