French Source

  • Donna Snyder
    Message 1 of 5 , May 3 12:35 PM
      Hi List;
      A friend in Wyoming, USA has found the following as a source in her work.
      She wants to know who it pertains to, where it was published and if
      possible where to get a copy. Can someone on the list help?
      Thanks,
      Donna Snyder

      Dictionnaire Genealogique des Famillies
      Canandiennes by Cyprien Tanguay.

      http://www.afhs.ab.ca
    • Alan Muise-Benner
      Message 2 of 5 , May 4 12:42 AM
        This page [http://www.genealogyinprint.com/cgi-pm/details.pl?product_id=5764]
        provides a brief overview, and a little background, as well as a purchase
        point (in CD format - at least one other place
        [http://www.sources2go.com/product_GD.cfm?product_ID=5585®ion=sc] this is
        available as a CD, at a quick glance, and likely others). It appears prices
        quoted are USD.

        Message 3 of 5 , May 4 11:33 AM
          Hi Donna,

          There are seven books involved in the citation you give. They are the works
          of abbot Cyprien Tanguay. He took church records and compiled family groups
          arranged in order by surname of the male head of household. Each entry
          begins with the date and place (if known - otherwise he puts a year only) of
          first marriage of the HOH and gives whatever information he can find about
          the man. This can include the following where known: occupation, baptism
          (listed as b so don't take this as b for birth as the abbreviations are
          French, if known the birth date is listed as n for naissance), parents'
          name, parish and diocese of parents' residence at time of marriage or if
          deceased, their last known residence (many of these are emigrants from
          France and so this is useful in determining from what parish in France they
          originated and is a huge step toward finding records to go further back in
          time), sometimes whether parents were alive or deceased at the time of the
          HOH first marriage, s for sepulture date followed by place (sepulture is
          burial record - date recorded in parish record, which may or may not match
          date of death and may not accurately reflect date of burial - was usually
          date of funeral services or mass - when the body was actually inhumed could
          have been different - especially if winter and not sufficient graves had
          been dug when the ground was not frozen) and d for death if known (d for
          deces is same abbreviation as in English).

          Then the first spouse is listed with same type of information (if known) as
          for her husband.

          Then children are listed usually in order of date of baptism or birth. Also
          date and m à indicating "married to" followed by name of first spouse and if
          additional marriages/spouses for that person, they are indicated by number
          e.g. 1 m ..., 2 m... Burials are usually not recorded unless the child died
          young and unmarried. To find the date of burial and other information, you
          must find the couple listed by groom's surname. So if a son of the HOH
          married and if Tanguay included him, you will find the entry under the son's
          surname HOH entry. If a daughter married, you will find her under her
          husband's surname HOH entry.

          After all the children for the first marriage are listed, if there was a
          second spouse, another date and location will follow and the second wife's
          name will be listed and followed by any children of that marriage and so on.

          There are 7 books in the full set. The first is Volume I A-Z which takes
          families from 1608 to 1700 or as Tanguay subtitles it - from the foundation
          of the colony to our day (of course, he means his "day"). Volume II - VII
          restart the alphabet and overlaps the entries from the first volume in some
          cases. However, for the most part this is the continuation of the families
          from Volume I and also includes new families that arrived after 1700 or were
          otherwise missed in the first volume. These 6 volumes take the families of
          New France from about 1700 (earlier in some cases) to about 1763.

          Alphabetically they are as follows:
          Volume 2 : A -Cha
          Volume 3 : Charbonneau-Ezequiel
          Volume 4 : Fadas-Jinines,
          Volume 5 : Joachim-Mercier
          Volume 6 : Mercin-Robidou
          Volume 7 : Robillard-Ziseuse

          Volume 7 has the listings of all "dit" names (alternative names by which the
          person was known) and other aliases (page 505 to 601)

          When using Tanguay as a reference it is also necessary to check in
          "Corrections and Additions to the Dictionnaire Genealogiques des Familles
          Canadiennes by Reverend Cyprien Tanguay" that was compiled by Leboeuf et al.
          It is usually cited in short as "Leboeuf's corrections" or "Leboeuf's
          supplement" or simply "Leboeuf's". Leboeuf is J.-Arthur Leboeuf, a member of
          the SGCF (Societe Genealogique Canadienne-Francaise - I have typed it here
          without the accents) and the et al are other members of that society.

          The original 7 volumes are now available in several forms. Print, microfilm,
          CD and scanned images available for download from the Bibliothèque Nationale
          du Québec (National Library of Quebec). I have all in print as I purchased
          in the days before it was available on CD or downloaded images.

          If your friend wants to download and has fast speed Internet or adsl access
          with 513 Mb of free space for the file, she can go to the following page:
          http://www.rootsweb.com/~canqc/tanguay.htm and follow the instructions. The
          files are in pdf and are scanned images.

          Most of the text can be deciphered from following my explanation of the
          sections and the abbreviations I gave above. However, occasionally there are
          further details on occupations, method of death (if it was unusual) and also
          footnotes with explanations of source or other distinquishing information on
          a person or family. Since the complete text is in French and older French at
          that, if your friend needs translation of any passage, you can refer her to
          me.

          Some of the occupational terminology is now obsolete or has changed meaning
          since that time. So I am writing a book on the occupations to explain what
          the terms actually meant during the 15th to 19th centuries. For example,
          "pilote" then did not mean "pilot" as in one who flies planes but the
          "pilot" of a boat - especially one who guided it in and around the harbours.

          Many sources misinterpret the older meanings, for example "arquebusier" is
          often translated as gunsmith instead of its real meaning of a soldier
          (gunner) who shot with an arquebusque (old type of musket). Armurier was the
          term usually applied during this period for one who made or supplied arms -
          thus can be translated as gunsmith but never have I found arquebusier
          actually used in a passage where it could mean gunsmith. So be very aware of
          the source of the interpretation and whether the person is a modern
          reader/speaker of French or whether the person is a linguist and historian
          or a student of Old French and history.

          I am writing a book on old French occupations. I was asked to do so since I
          am a linguist by education as well as a historian by passion! However, as
          you can imagine it is slow work because for terms with which I am not
          familiar, I do not take modern definitions so must either find it in an
          ancient (pre-1900s) French dictionary and hope I can translate the rest of
          the text or must find it in context in a passage and determine its meaning
          from its use. Sometimes I am lucky and it has a common latin root with or
          was the source of an old English word. Then my old English and etymological
          dictionaries come in handy.

          So if I can help her, let me know.

          à bientôt,

          Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564

          Message 4 of 5 , May 4 6:05 PM
            Thanks to all who replied. I have forwarded the replies to my friend and I'm
            sure you covered everything she could think to ask. This list is such a
            resource in itself. Thanks again,
            Donna Snyder

            http://www.afhs.ab.ca
          • Leslie