CD Burner Instructions from SLC

  • Rene Dussome
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 28, 2004
      Good morning everyone:

      On a recent visit to the Family History Library at Salt Lake City I was
      very impressed with a new (to me) system for scanning images from
      microfilms. This saves making paper copies which take up space in one's
      suitcase. I scanned many images from census returns and parish registers
      and upon printing them at home found that the quality was excellent.

      This scanning equipment is in the copy room on each floor at the FHL
      (there are two systems on the 2nd floor). One is allowed to sign up for
      half an hour at a time.

      I found the scanning process to be a little complicated so asked a
      friend to take a copy of the instructions so that I can study them prior
      to my next visit to SLC (soon, I hope!). If anyone is going to SLC in
      the not-too-distant future, they may like to have a copy with them. Here
      they are:

      1. Load microfilm on the microfilm scanner, locate the image to be
      scanned and set the orange cropping lines.

      2. Insert a CD-ROM into the CD drive. Archival quality CD-ROMs are
      available at the library attendant window for $1.50.

      3. If there is already data on the CD, a screen showing the CD contents
      will automatically pop up. Exit out of this screen by clicking on the
      red X in the top right corner of the screen.

      4. Click Scan. If the image is not satisfactory, you may make
      adjustments and then hit Rescan.

      5. When the desired images have been scanned, press Finish then select
      Save Images. Enter a storage folder name and press Save. Do not eject
      the CD at this point.

      6. Hit the windows key on the lower left side of the keyboard. Select
      the Nero Express icon (a red and yellow X) from the taskbar. This is the
      sixth icon to the right of the Start button.

      7. The Nero Express program will open. Beneath the question "What would
      you like to burn?" click on Data and then Data Disc.

      8. On the next screen click on Add. The "Select Files and Folders"
      screen will pop up. Select your file from the list of files on the Data
      (D:) drive.

      9. Once you have selected your file, click on Add and then Finished at
      the bottom of the screen. You will then be back on the "Disc Content"
      screen. Click on Next in the bottom right corner.

      10. The "Final Burn Settings" screen will come up. Click on Burn in the
      lower right corner and wait as the CD is burned. Once the file has been
      successfully burned onto the CD, a message will pop up. Click OK then
      Next at the bottom of the screen.

      11. Your CD should automatically be ejected from the drive. Be sure to
      exit Nero Express when you are finished. The CD can be read on computers
      with Windows 95 or higher. You may use the CD again, adding images at a
      later date.

      Rene Dussome

      http://www.afhs.ab.ca
    • Carol Lee
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 28, 2004
        Thank you for that, Rene. I printed your instructions and put them in my
        "Salt Lake" file.
        Carol Lee