From the Oxfordshire Rootsweb list

  • Spencer Field
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 23, 2004
      Whilst it is somewhat appropriate that there should be free access to The
      Times online on St George's day, as far as I know it's a complete
      coincidence!

      Nevertheless, for a day or so, the full archive, 1785 - 1985, is searchable
      by everyone at
      http://libraryweek.galedemo.com/itshere.htm
      It's worth not only searching for
      your names of interest, but also reading about events in their parishes.
      Land sales often appear as advertisements, for instance.

      http://www.afhs.ab.ca
    • ANN WILLIAMS
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 24, 2004
        Thanks Spencer for sending out that link - I've had fun with The Times
        index and found a couple of people I'm interested in. One was a station
        master and the other a policeman who were both mentioned because they
        were witnesses at inquests. Not all articles print out well but we're
        lucky in Calgary in having The Times on microfilm at the University
        library - so with the extact reference from the website it's easy to use
        the University reader/printers to make better copies.

        Ann Williams
        AFHS Secretary