FAMILYROOTS 2004

  • William Campbell
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 21, 2004
      Hi Folks:

      As many of you are aware, Saturday October 16th is the date of the Alberta Family Histories Society's (AFHS) biennial Expo-Seminar. It will be the largest genealogy event of the year in Calgary and you are all invited.!
      More information will available shortly but for the moment please mark your calendar. Twenty presentations/talks will be available for your selection. In addition, a large hall of exhibits and displays will provide you with information on the latest tools and resources to enhance your research capabilities.

      The location - The Carriage House Inn - 9030 MacLeod Trail South, Calgary

      The planning committee has been working hard for several months now and most details are well in hand.  In order for our event to be a success the general public  must be made aware that the help they are looking for, in searching for their ancestors and organizing their records, is available at FamilyRoots 2004. We will need the support of the media, both print and electonic. We will be working to have the newspapers, magazines, radio and television stations spotlight or show,

      Now, this is where you may be able to help us. Perhaps you are aware of a great story of a family find. Perhaps you can lead us to someone who will be celebrating a very special wedding anniversary or birthday around about October 16. Perhaps that person would agree to a reporter's interview and some celebration which could attract the media and lead to our announcement of the FamilyRoots event. If you would be kind enough to imagine how we can bring  a human interest story to the attention of the media it would be of immense help to our Society and our planning committee.

      Please feel free to give me the details in a personal email message or phone me at 254-2293. Or, contact Gordon Hulbert our committee chair at 669-8384.

      Thank you for your time and consideration. I look forward to hearing from you.

      Cheers

      Bill

      --
      WILLIAM CAMPBELL
      CALGARY, Alberta, CANADA

    • William Campbell
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 22, 2004

        Hi Folks:

        WE ARE ALL NOW VERY MUCH AWARE OF THE DISAPPOINTMENT IN THE CANCELLATION OF THE

        FAMILY PAPERS COLLECTION PROGRAM WHICH THE NATIONAL GENEALOGICAL SOCIETY HAD OFFERED

        TO PROVIDE STARTING IN EARLY OCTOBER.

        HOWEVER

        THIS CANCELLATION BY NGS HAS VERY LITTLE IMPACT ON OUR AFHS FAMILYROOTS 2004 EXPO/SEMINAR

        FAMILYROOTS 2004 WILL 'FLY' AS PLANNED COMMENCING ON FRIDAY OCTOBER 15TH WITH THE PRESENTATION (NO

         CHARGE) BY DAVID BLY.   THEN, ON SATURDAY SEPTEMBER 16 THE EXPO/SEMINAR WITH TALKS AND DISPLAYS.

        IF YOU HAVEN'T REGISTERED YET WE URGE YOU TO DO SO NOW, AND BE SURE TO TELL YOUR FRIENDS.

        VISIT  www.afhs.ab.ca  FOR FULL DETAILS AND REGISTRATION.

         OR,  CALL 403-214-1447 FOR FURTHER INFORMATION.

        Bill Campbell
        AFHS
        Public Relations

        --
        WILLIAM CAMPBELL
        CALGARY, Alberta, CANADA

      • scott-callie
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 22, 2004
          This will be my first time attending this conference.  I am really looking forward to it.  See you then,
          Callie

          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 13, 2004
            Hi again folks:

            Thought you might be interested in knowing how your FamilyRoots 2004 committee gets things done.

            We enjoyed a good time with CFCN's reporter/producer Nujma Yaqzan at our AFHS library this evening and she advises that our session should air on CFCN Channel 3 at noon, 5pm, 5:30pm, 6pm and 11:30 pm tomorrow.  Great exposure for our Expo/Seminar, eh?

            Then, tomorrow (Thursday) morning around 8 am Gord Hulbert and Bill Campbell with take on Don Slade, the host of the morning broadcast from CKMX AM 1060.

            On Friday morning, Bev and Ken Rees will be guests on the Big Breakfast show of A-Channel  (Channel 8) sometime after 7 am.

            If we get more opportunities we will try to keep you advised.

            Cheers

            Bill
          • scott-callie
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 14, 2004
              yeh! can hardly wait for the weekend!  It's great to get all that exposure.

              Callie

              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 14, 2004
                WELL DONE BILL!

                JBD

                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 14, 2004
                  Hello Bill:  That's an impressive line up of publicity.  Thanks for your great work!

                  Mertie

                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 14, 2004
                    Thanks Bill - I wonder if anyone is taping these.
                    Freda

                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 14, 2004
                      the list Address

                      Nice job everyone. Watched Channel 3 at 12:00 pm, with Bev and Gordon.
                      Great advertisment for the show. Charlie

                      scott-callie wrote:
                      > yeh! can hardly wait for the weekend! It's great to get all that exposure.
                      >
                      > Callie

                    • Heather Jaremko
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 14, 2004
                        Hello Freda,
                        My husband and I have taped the noon show.  We can do the others if you like.
                        Heather Jaremko

                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 14, 2004
                          thanks Heather, we have to be away very early and will miss Gord. I saw one of these a few years ago that Nujma did and it was very well done.