FAMILY TREE MAKER

  • The Taylors
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 21 7:20 PM
                            Reminder

      FAMILY TREE MAKER  SIGlet
         April meeting is this weekend

      Saturday      April 24th    10:00 AM
                 in the  AFHS 'New' Library

      After an open Q and A session Jim Benedict
      will show us how he built a family website
      using data collected in his Family Tree Maker

      Please note we now meet at 10:00AM - not 9:30

      If you have not yet been to the Library's new location
      you will find map and other helpful information by going
      to the AFHS website (www.afhs.ab.ca).

      From the home page, the column on the left, 2nd heading is:
      New Addresses   This gives information about the new location
      and at the end of info about "Parking" you can click on:  See Map.

      Contacts:
      General information:                   L Taylor       LTaylor4@...
      Past handouts, on-line help:       E Rodier  cerear@...
    • Lorna Laughton
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 22 9:31 AM
        Message
        Hi Lynn:

        I just wanted to let you know that there has been a change in computers at the AFHS Library. Gordon Lane replaced the older computer with a newer one.

        I added Family Tree Maker program to the new / old computer - the icon is on the bottom row. I used the Family Tree Maker CD that was in one of the FTM binders - I can't remember which edition it was (10.0 ?). So if you want Family Tree Maker files (database with info) on this copy of FTM for your meeting, you will have to bring the files to add.

        The computer is hooked up to the Internet, but it does not have an e-mail address.

        Lorna

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 22 10:11 AM
          Message
          Sorry - I didn't mean to send this to dist-gen. However, now that I have your attention, I do want to remind those attending the FTM SIG and other meetings at the Library about the parking. We have parking behind the library, off the alley, but only for 3 cars in a row on the right hand side (facing the back of the building) of the 2-car-width space. AFHS cars parked there would be nearest the parking meters. The left side of that space belongs to the TV store next door, and they use that space, so please don't park there.

          And ... here is the commercial ... for the AFHS Library. The computer that I mentioned to Lynn (in the message that I didn't intend to go to all of dist-gen) is available for your use at the library. It is connected to the Internet  so you can go to various genealogy sites (but we don't have an Ancestry.com subscription). And .. we have some very interesting CDs that you can look at. I have put all the various "readers" on the computer, so I think that all the CDs will work. One new CD, Grenham's Irish Surnames, has an interesting method of finding the County and Parish location of Irish surnames (from Griffith's Valuation) and can show where 2 surnames show up in the same County and Parish. It's worth looking at even if your Irish ancestors emigrated earlier than the 1840s. And of course, we have our own AFHS Cemetery recordings CDs - including an "exclusive" - some early transcriptions in Calgary's Queen's Park Cemetery (might not be catalogued yet - ask the Library Volunteers).

          Lorna

        • Eileen McElroy
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 22 2:50 PM
            FYI

            Milk River and area local history book "THE HILLS OF HOME"(Second Edition, 2003), hardcover, 846 pages, index, photographs, maps
            is available for $55.00 incl. GST if picked up at:

            The Western Stock Growers' Association
            #101, 2116-27 Ave NE, Calgary
            Ph: 250-9121
          • Lynn Taylor
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 8, 2004
              FAMILY TREE MAKER  SIGlet

              Saturday      September 25th    10:00 AM
                           in  the  AFHS  Library

                    Discussion on FTM's new release will
                    will follow our open Q and A session.