Re: South African Genealogy - virtual branch

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 21, 2004
      Thanks for posting this to the list. I have a South African client and will
      advise her of this society.

      à bientôt,

      Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564

      From: "eGGSA / eGSSA" <eggsa@...>
      Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 16:52:49 +1000

      >Good afternoon
      >
      >Would it be possible for you to post the following announcement on your
      list - I do not know if some of your members might be interested in South
      African Genealogy:

      >Thanks
      >Colin Pretorius
      >
      >***********
      >
      >It is with great pleasure that we announce the dawning of a new era in
      South
      >African genealogy. After lengthy discussions involving people
      >interested in promoting South African genealogy, ideas and plans came
      >together to make it possible for the Genealogical Society of South Africa
      >(GSSA) to open a virtual branch.
      >
      >This branch is known as eGSSA.
      >
      >For many years there have been people who, for various reasons, could not
      >join a regular GSSA branch. Some of these reasons include living too far
      >from a branch or living outside South Africa. These people still have a
      >need to belong to a branch and to enjoy the benefits of GSSA membership,
      >such as receiving GSSA's flagship quarterly journal, Familia. GSSA has
      been
      >established to meet these needs.
      >
      >We plan for members of eGSSA to be able to hold virtual meetings in the
      >future, either via streaming technology or in a chat room a-la-MSN. .
      >
      >It is also planned that eGSSA will make some of the GSSA products available
      >electronically, and that some databases could be placed on the Internet for
      >search purposes. This all depends on the availability of storage capacity.
      >
      >eGSSA's website is currently hosted at
      >http://www.ggsa.info/eggsa
      >
      >The management eGSSA team is as follows:
      >
      >Branch Chairperson: Colin Pretorius (based in Australia)
      >Secretary: Anne Lehmkuhl (based in Canada)
      >Technical services: Richard Ball (based in the UK)
      >Ex Officio: Martin Zöllner (based in South
      >Africa)
      >
      >Regional representatives:
      >
      >Australia/NZ/Oceania/Asia: André van Rensburg (based in Australia)
      >North & South America: Anne Lehmkuhl (based in Canada)
      >Europe & the UK: Richard Ball (based in the UK)
      >Africa & the Middle East: Daan Hamman (based in South Africa)
      >
      >The membership fees given below include an electronic copy of
      >Familia, the Society's quarterly journal, as well as the virtual branch's
      own quarterly newsletter/journal, called genesis. Other

      --
      In kinship, Judith Rempel
      <mhsa@...>

      Mennonite Historical Society of Alberta
      Canadian Registered Charity: #86568 6166 RR0001
      www.mennonites.ca/mhsa/
      Registered Canadian Charity #86568 6166 RR0001

      Join the MHSA Mailing list:
      http://www.mennonites.ca/mhsa/mailing_list.html

      $0 Bannerless Web Hosting, 10 POP and Web Email Accounts, & more
      Get It Now At www.doteasy.com

      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 21, 2004
        My South African client is happy. We found some of her relatives by
        searching through some of the databases at
        http://www.national.archsrch.gov.za/sm300cv/smws/sm300dl?20040421225648FA241
        940

        From: "eGGSA / eGSSA" <eggsa@...>
        Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 16:52:49 +1000