1901 English Census on Ancestry.com

  • Rene Dussome
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 21, 2004
      Hello English Researchers:

      The following is an exciting announcement received via Dick Eastman's
      Online Newsletter dated April 19. It was dated April 14th and originated
      from MyFamily.com the owners of Ancestry.com.

      > MyFamily.com, Inc., the provider of one of the world's largest collections of online information for connecting families, today announced its launch of the 1901 England and Wales Census online. Beginning today, indexes linked directly to images of original 1901 returns for England and Wales are now available online at http://www.ancestry.co.uk

      > Through a license agreement with The National Archives of England, Wales and the United Kingdom, MyFamily.com has begun the process of digitising the 1.47 million original census images on 1813 rolls of microfilm that comprise the 1901 Census. MyFamily intends to publish additional indexes and images from the 1901 Census weekly, bringing millions of records to the site throughout the coming months.

      > Upon completion, the 1901 Census online will contain 32 million names and will be fully indexed and searchable by name, county and parish, with search results linking directly to images.

      > MyFamily plans to release all available census returns from 1841 through 1901, making Ancestry.co.uk among the largest commercial online repositories of UK family history records. The census returns are among the most popular records at The National Archives because they are a key source for those researching family history. These records offer a wealth of information on individuals and families, including age, occupation and place of birth.

      > . . . Unlimited access to the entire collection of UK records, including the newly released 1901 Census, is available to subscribers for 59.95 pounds Sterling as an annual subscription or 24.95 pounds Sterling as a quarterly subscription.

      This is great news for those researchers who have been unable to find
      their ancestors in the 1901 census, possibly due to transcription
      errors.

      If you wish to view the complete Eastman's Online Newsletter, you can
      check this website:

      http://www.eogn.com

      We are fortunate here in Calgary that we can access Ancestry.com at the
      Family History Centre free of charge except for the nominal $1/hour
      charge for using the Internet.

      Rene Dussome