Re: obits

  • Joanne Elford
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 19 5:07 PM
      Hi Larry,

      If you happen to come across any McCool obits that don't belong to your
      family please let me know. I'm still searching for the catholic line.

      Thank you.

      Joanne Elford

      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 19 6:26 PM
        Larry - this isn't a suggestion for storage, but I do have a good tip for
        removal from those types of albums that works like a charm. Use a hair dryer
        to heat up the page, or at least the area over the piece you're trying to
        remove, then lift the piece off still using the hairdryer. (Sometimes if you
        wait long enough a picture will start lifting off by itself.) My
        brother-in-law did this for some of their pictures which astounded me
        because I of course managed to rip some of my own pictures that I tried
        removing from those albums! I've been doing it his way ever since, even for
        newspaper clippings. It's also quite quick once you get the hang of it.
        Nancy Carson

        > Recently Doreen and I started looking through some obituaries that we had
        > received en masse from the home of
        > Doreen's parents and the same from mine. These are newspaper "cut-outs"
        from
        > newspapers. Some of them go back fifty years and more. Of course there is
        > always a problem when something like this turns up. The notices were
        placed
        > in photo albums that, at the time I guess, were the right type of storage.
        > These are the sticky type pages with the clear cover that sticks to the
        page
        > holding the pictures etc, in place.
        > I have noted that the items are changing color and decided to take them
        out
        > and store them differently. Some have been difficult to remove but with
        care
        > and a set of tweezers they are coming out OK but are very fragile.
        > I would like to display these along with group sheets in a "no glue"
        > environment. Any suggestions?
        >
        > Larry
        >

        > Larry & Doreen McCool
        > Calgary, AB Canada
        > Our new address is
        > mccoollh@...
        > Our website is now at
        > http://www3.telus.net/public/mccoollh/index.html

      • Lois Sparling
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 19 6:30 PM
          Dear Larry

          I suggest you use a hair dryer and dental floss to remove the stuck
          newsprint. I have a product called Archival Mist which neutralizes
          highly acidic paper such as newsprint. It can be purchased at
          Scrapbookers' Paradise. You spray it on both sides and then store it in
          a clear plastic envelope/holder (also available at Scrapbookers'
          Paradise?) made from the acid free archival type plastic. Keep it in
          the dark unless you are actually looking at it. If you get the plastic
          envelopes for 3 ring binders, you can store many pages in this way and
          view them conveniently.

          Lois Sparling

          Larry McCool wrote:

          >Recently Doreen and I started looking through some obituaries that we had
          >received en masse from the home of
          >Doreen's parents and the same from mine. These are newspaper "cut-outs" from
          >newspapers. Some of them go back fifty years and more. Of course there is
          >always a problem when something like this turns up. The notices were placed
          >in photo albums that, at the time I guess, were the right type of storage.
          >These are the sticky type pages with the clear cover that sticks to the page
          >holding the pictures etc, in place.
          >I have noted that the items are changing color and decided to take them out
          >and store them differently. Some have been difficult to remove but with care
          >and a set of tweezers they are coming out OK but are very fragile.
          >I would like to display these along with group sheets in a "no glue"
          >environment. Any suggestions?
          >
          >Larry
          >

          >Larry & Doreen McCool
          >Calgary, AB Canada
          >Our new address is
          >mccoollh@...
          >Our website is now at
          >http://www3.telus.net/public/mccoollh/index.html
          >

          >http://www.afhs.ab.ca

          http://www.afhs.ab.ca
        • Peter and Yvonne Adams
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 5, 2005
            Hi,

            Is there an on-line source for recent obits (1975 - 2000) for the town of Brockville?

            Peter

            *****************************
            Peter Adams
            Calgary, Ab
          • Mary Arthur
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 5, 2005
              You don't say that you have checked anywhere else already, so I assume you have not emailed the local newspaper and asked them if they will look up for you?

              Their archives appear not to be online yet, so you could also ask if and when they will archive obits.

              On 5-Dec-05, at 12:30, Peter and Yvonne Adams wrote:

              Hi,

              Is there an on-line source for recent obits (1975 - 2000) for the town of Brockville?

              Peter

              Peter Adams
              Calgary, Ab

              Mary Arthur